MD vs Cen 10

Gospeeder

12 hours ago, Ararar said:

Nearly only counts in horseshoes.you know like you nearly scored a point on DLS

Or hand grenades. Regardless, Folsom was skunked. And were Folsom to play the Mighty Spartans tomorrow evening, the Dawgs might score, though I doubt the games result would ever be in doubt.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, On2whls said:

It would be pretty cool if CC could run the table and make it four years, four different teams to win state. (The four best teams in the state)

It would also be the most impressive finish in hsfb history (in terms of SOSย at the end) โ€” current #2, #1, and #8

• Like 3

16 hours ago, On2whls said:

The biggest factor (IMO) is that SJB kept the QB in check, on a number of times forcing him to hesitate too much before taking off. ย They kept a linebacker focused on containing him.

Cen10โ€™s big DEโ€™s rush hard and fast so they might be vulnerable to leaving lanes for him to run up the middle. ย They havenโ€™t played a team with a decent mobile QB. ย That could be a vulnerability.

Cen10 will need to utilize their depth and keep rotating key parts of the DL... take advantage of their quickness and mix up their stunts. Offensively they should be up tempo. MD has not looked particularly good when SJB and IMG bunched plays together in rapid fire.ย 

8 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

Cen10 will need to utilize their depth and keep rotating key parts of the DL... take advantage of their quickness and mix up their stunts. Offensively they should be up tempo. MD has not looked particularly good when SJB and IMG bunched plays together in rapid fire.ย 

Cen10s season is over tomorrow.ย 

• Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, mikejones said:

More like 34-20 Folsom

DLS has had 107 points scored against them in 11 games, an average of 9.72 per game.ย  They have not allowed more than 24 points in a game this yearย and that occurred back in September.ย  Other than Folsom running up the score against lesser teams, what empirical evidence do you have to support a claim that they will be able to lay 34 down on DLS, especially considering their goose egg in the first game and considering that Folsom historically has scored 32 points against them over the course of three games?ย  Yes, different players in the first two games, but essentially, the same offensive vs defensive schemes.

Not saying it could not happen, but would like to see more than homeristic reasons to support the prediction.

ย 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bigrobstercraws said:

If MD's habit of stupid penalties continues, and if Cen10 doesn't join them, they can pull an upset since they actually have a defense this year. Cen10 would have to play its best game all year for that slim chance to happen though.ย 

Your are Right on here! Which is why I think CC has a chance to win a high scoring game. CC is always very disciplined and doesn't commit many penalties. They will have to play almost a perfect offensive game though. While CC wont at all be Intimidated, they will be facing some serious talent on the MD side.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Corona Centennialโ€™s playoff run has been fortified by its defensive front

Byย ERIC SONDHEIMER

NOV 15, 2018ย |ย 8:00 AMย 

ย ย 

Centennial defensive lineman Korey Foreman tries to get past Orange Lutheran guard Ethan Howard during a playoff game Nov. 2. (Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times)

So much attention has been paid to Corona Centennialโ€™s high-scoring, no-huddle offensive attack through the years that itโ€™s almost a sin to discuss defense. This season, the 12-0 Huskies are averaging 54.6 points per game and have put up 80 and 84 points in victories.

The truth, though, is that if the Huskies are able to topple defending champion Santa Ana Mater Dei on Friday night in a Southern Section Division 1 semifinal playoff game at Santa Ana Stadium, defense will be the reason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Centennial has perhaps its best defensive front four in Matt Loganโ€™s 22 seasons as head coach. The team has recorded 53 sacks, with the foursome of Drake Jackson, Korey Foreman, Malik Scurlock and Nick Smith combining for 25 sacks. Theyโ€™ve nicknamed themselves โ€œQB Killas.โ€

โ€œThe cornerbacksโ€™ best friends are the defensive linemen,โ€ Scurlock said. โ€œWe have to do our part and put the pressure on.โ€

Jackson, who is 6 feet 4 and 265 pounds, and Foreman, at 6-5 and 245 pounds, are considered in the mold of former Huskies standout Will Sutton. Both are destined for college and perhaps professional careers. Jackson is a senior with six sacks and Foreman is a sophomore with a team-leading 7 1/2 sacks.

โ€œHeโ€™s the young buck and still developing and learning and getting his body going in the right directions,โ€ Logan said of Foreman. โ€œHis potential and upside is amazing.โ€

Jackson is capable of creating so much havoc that offenses have to consider double teaming him.

โ€œWhat gets lost is heโ€™s a very smart football player,โ€ Logan said of Jackson. โ€œWhen he first started, it was all about pass rush. Heโ€™s learned to be much more.โ€

ADVERTISEMENT

Corona Centennial defensive lineman Korey Foreman, left, and linebacker Josaiah Tanielu celebrate after a sack during a playoff game against Orange Lutheran on Nov. 2 (Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times)

Scurlock, 6-3 1/2 and 280 pounds, transferred from Diamond Bar last year and usually lines up over the center. Moving him out of the way is difficult.

โ€œI have to get out the war paint and look the center dead in the eyes until he knows Iโ€™m there,โ€ Scurlock said. โ€œWe have to flip the switch and be mean.โ€

Smith, 6-2 and 205 pounds, is the smallest and most underrated of the linemen, but his surprising strength and quickness leads to big tackles.

โ€œI use my speed and hands to make up for what I miss in weight,โ€ he said. โ€œWhat makes us great is we have heart. It doesnโ€™t matter how big or small you are. We all make plays.โ€

Centennial has won 10 section titles, including two Division 1 championships. Opponents have learned that to make it to the final or even win it, you have to go through the Huskies.

Their offensive stars over the seasons have been plentiful, from quarterbacks Tanner McKee, Matt Scott and Taylor Martinez to running backs Mike Bass, JJ Taylor and Tre Watson to receiver Javon McKinley. But Centennial also has its share of past defensive stalwarts, from NFL linebacker Vontaze Burfict to current college standouts Jaylen Johnson (Washington) and Camryn Bynum (California).

The Huskiesโ€™ defensive focus on Friday will be to make sure Mater Dei quarterback Bryce Young feels pressure when trying to pass.

โ€œWeโ€™re a little banged up, so we have to get healthy this week and we have to keep Bryce in the pocket,โ€ Scurlock said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson was a youth football teammate of standout Mater Dei receiver Bru McCoy when the two played on a championship IE Ducks team.

โ€œOn the field, I donโ€™t know him,โ€ he said. โ€œOff the field, thatโ€™s my brother.โ€

The defensive linemen have received inspiration from teammate Jack Coleman, who missed all of last season while undergoing chemotherapy for cancer of the lymphatic system. He has six tackles this season in his comeback.

โ€œHe gives us the strength we need because we know he fought and we have to fight,โ€ Jackson said.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

And Folsom's Season was over in August.... When They Scored ZERO points against the only good team they played... So There's That....:)

Folsom Water Boy (that is what you shall be referred to now),

The DLS team (who you never played for, but fanboy for), barely had 200 yards of total offense AT HOME, against a public school defense that "plays nobody" and gave up over 400 yards total offense to Helix last year. I wouldn't be gloating.

Combine that dismal performance, and the fact that 2 TDs were basically taken off the board for Folsom, means you got extremely lucky and very well could have lost. Again, I wouldn't be gloating, since it makes you sound like a complete idiot. Not exactly "top tier" performance.

So- there's that :)

601-Dumb-and-Dumber-quotes.gif

• Thumbs Down 1

12 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

Logic tells me MD will win this game. But history tells me CC can pull the upset. They tend to step it up in games like these.

I'm with your logic as I slightly favor MD in this one but in their two games against elite opponents, it was power vs finesse with MD being the finesse team. This game is somewhat the reverse but with two differences... MD has not faced a pure finesse team to the level of CC. They have that style down at least or maybe better than any other program in the country. Their only real weakness is that they, IMO, do not have blue chip quarterbacks which, if MD can harass them enough, the precision of their execution will be disrupted.

The second factor is athleticism of the CC D line. MD will have the power and the size advantage... but, the CC line is not that much smaller and they move really well. Openings that Bryce catches when under pressure will close up pretty fast.ย 

3 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

Your are Right on here! Which is why I think CC has a chance to win a high scoring game. CC is always very disciplined and doesn't commit many penalties. They will have to play almost a perfect offensive game though. While CC wont at all be Intimidated, they will be facing some serious talent on the MD side.

I agree. They had the horses to run with IMG and barely lost on a last second 2 point conversion a couple years ago.ย