USAT rankings

Ararar

33 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

MD won the game because they were able to pressure DJ mostly through adjustments in their defensive schemes by dialing up the pressure. In the first game, SJB's O-Line won that battle (by a lot) and  DJ had tons of time to pick apart the MD secondary. In this game, he didn't.

Sounds like Mater Dei had to do a lot of adjusting to barely win by 4. When they lined up the last time, Bosco dominated.

Some people want to completely ignore the "dominance" and totally reward the "barely."

59 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

LMAO

How dare MD make adjustments in an attempt to win a football game. What kind of gatekeeping BS is this guy on about? Apparently, wins only count if they come by a certain style of play? GTFO.

Is this David Scott, Dallas Jackson? 

The last time I heard such absurd speak it was from he. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Saying MD's win should count less because they were able to figure out a way to pressure DJ and neutralize SJB's offensive is the most asinine thing I've ever heard.

It should be weighed less (not counted less) because the dominance displayed in the first game is more impressive and harder to do against a high quality opponent.

Winning a rematch by 4 after you played keep-away is less impressive and easier to do.

Somehow you think it's fine to count the first game less, for whatever reason.

I don't count either one less. I weigh them together.

23 > 4

15 minutes ago, Goldmember said:

It should be weighed less (not counted less) because the dominance displayed in the first game is more impressive and harder to do against a high quality opponent.

Winning a rematch by 4 after you played keep-away is less impressive and easier to do.

Somehow you think it's fine to count the first game less, for whatever reason.

I don't count either one less. I weigh them together.

23 > 4

The reverse should be counted against SJB   Got out coached and outplayed causing a 27 point swing 

5 minutes ago, noonereal said:

and what jumps out at us when we see this? 

That's right. IMG, SJB and MD have all played top 5 teams in the country. Allen is rewarded for hiding in plain sight. 

Really sad for the state of high school football in American. 

I get why Texas does it. They feel their 64 team playoffs brackets make up for their lack of top 50 wins. It has in the past and may partly this year. But that said, If Allen wins out they would have 2 wins over top 100 teams? If MD wins they will be 6-1 vs 50 teams plus wins over Gorman and MV.

7 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

I get why Texas does it. They feel their 64 team playoffs brackets make up for their lack of top 50 wins. It has in the past and may partly this year. But that said, If Allen wins out they would have 2 wins over top 100 teams? If MD wins they will be 6-1 vs 50 teams plus wins over Gorman and MV.

Top 50 teams MD has played:

SJB twice

Cen10

IMG 

Who are the others? 

BG wasn't that good this year... 

And really? MV?

1 hour ago, Goldmember said:

And it has been.

They are no longer #1 and they don't get to keep playing.

But in terms of who's better? Not settled by a 4-point loss in a rematch.

I would agree with the ascertion that a split series does not determine who is better.  

From a ranking perspective though there is a playoff accelerator that should be factored in.

Winning a playoff game  carries infinitely more  weight toward a championship than a regular season game.

Even if we only assign a weight factor if 8x for a 4th round playoff win, the 4 point win by MD becomes 32 points which is a clear differentiator.  Thus MD should be ranked higher.

As for Allen, there is no current justification for assigning an earned ranking above MD.  

Given the Assumption that Championships should be earned by Relevant “wins” on the field  (the higher ranked opponents the better), and not by “avoiding loss” via scheduling a slate of lower ranked opponents.

If that is not the correct assumption then we are all f*cked

I agree with Sammy, a playoff win should carry more wt. than a regular season win. I would also give MD credit for beating C.C. 7 days earlier and then beating SJB. That back to back would be a tall order for any team in the country. 

As for Allen moving up to #1 at this point does not make a whole lot of sense. Their body of work thus far is not that great. Their OOS win against a pedestrian 7-3 East team who was eliminated by 8-5 Pleasant Grove is not looking like such a big win anymore. And last week's victory turned out to be alot more work then it should have been. If Allen runs the table and wins out then yes I think you could make a case for them being #1 but at this point I don't think they have earned the #1 ranking.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddyr2 said:

USAT got it right on this 2 loss team. A loss for cheating, another loss for a blowout humbling crushing defeat .Md could only hope for a share if they win out on the lesser polls. Bill Parcels said " You are what your record says you are."

1 hour ago, Eddyr2 said:

Texas doesn’t have a 64 team playoff to make up for scheduling.  😂.   The UIL does it purely for the $$$

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goldmember said:

He's absolutely correct, though.

It's refreshing to read.

It's also funny to see real-life dipshits like you criticize somebody for making a smart observation.

So who is the new shiny dick that likes to play troll?  

Going by your reception here, maybe we should have some tea, and I can give you a few pointers ...🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Winning a playoff game  carries infinitely more  weight toward a championship than a regular season game.

Winning a playoff game carries more weight for a championship because the playoff determines who is champion.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It doesn't carry more weight toward determining who's better.

1 minute ago, Goldmember said:

Winning a playoff game carries more weight for a championship because the playoff determines who is champion.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It doesn't carry more weight toward determining who's better.

Agreed again.  But this thread is discussing the USAT latest rankings.  The weight is toward determining who should be ranked higher, not who is better.  Even a tie for first between those two would be better more acceptable

2 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

The Stache accomplished something that has never been done before in the history of Sports and associated rankings.

First ever - Beat the undefeated #1 team in the country and get dropped from #2 to #3.

image.png.8453ea6dac5356914bd33a616f54a465.png

Shades of DJ/original Bosco....  and the ‘Magic Drop’......🤣

• Like 1

We need to ask ourselves what do we think USAT would do IF Allen loses and MD beats another national top 10 in DLS. Both are real possibilities. Would another significant win for MD be able to push them ahead of Bosco? When you consider the entire season’s body of work it really is a no brainer. MD would have four wins against national top 10 teams versus one for Bosco. And against common opponents in the Trinity, MD won by a greater MOV except for against Servite.

1 minute ago, Bodysurf said:

We need to ask ourselves what do we think USAT would do IF Allen loses and MD beats another national top 10 in DLS. Both are real possibilities. Would another significant win for MD be able to push them ahead of Bosco? When you consider the entire season’s body of work it really is a no brainer. MD would have four wins against national top 10 teams versus one for Bosco. And against common opponents in the Trinity, MD won by a greater MOV except for against Servite.

I'm not asking myself anything about what USAT would do.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

...  The weight is toward determining who should be ranked higher, not who is better.  

Boils down to the same arguments every year...

9 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

When you consider the entire season’s body of work ......

I have always been on the side for ‘body of work’ and ‘accomplishments’ for any ‘rankings’...

as opposed to having name talent on a roster that you did not do as much with....

many will waffle on the point depending on where their team is at...good that you both set the thoughts now...so that there ‘might’ even be less syrup when it is all cooked...🤣

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I vote that the logic as explained by the USAT pollster is so flawed that the poll be removed from the comp poll.

Clearly the games never need played by this logic. Just run with the preseason poll and be done with it. 

Dear members,

Our legal team is looking into the validity of the "USAT rule".

"USAT rule " - strictly states that:

a. any team can be moved up or down in any poll with no reasonable explanation.

b. any team winning a rematch can have said win diminished due to competency shown by said winning teams coaching staff.

c. Losing team of a rematch cannot be reasonably punished for losing said rematch, and can still be ranked above said winning team if the said ranking agency feels that the results of the first game were more relevant, and/or better suited toward said ranking agency agenda.

d.  Any chaos created by said USAT rule is reasonable and deserving punishment to members for spending/wasting so much time debating merits of HS football teams.

• Haha 4