Mater Dei is looking for an away OOS game

Eddyr2

On 12/14/2018 at 4:51 AM, Omaha Vol said:

Well, no one in OH is going to beat the recruited up all-star teams known as MD and SJB. DLS, Folsom, and Cen10 would, most likely, beat every team in OH as well.

Folsom?  🤣

DLS and Colerain are very similar.  But Colerain is faster, and DLS can't seem to win out of State.

MD and SJB might be too much for the Ohio teams currently. 

Centennial's offense could cause problems for Ohio teams as they are not used to seeing it.  But Centennial's defense has been suspect against better teams.  So, who knows.

Just my take

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

This year vs MD their D was great. It was their O that gave MD 28 points.

Appreciate the info.  Too bad that Ohio and Cali top teams don't play each other.  OHSAA is too strict on OOS rules as well as transfer rules, and prevents our top teams from playing other top dawgs in other states.  Any chance of switching CIF for OHSAA? lol

11 minutes ago, ohio said:

Appreciate the info.  Too bad that Ohio and Cali top teams don't play each other.  OHSAA is too strict on OOS rules as well as transfer rules, and prevents our top teams from playing other top dawgs in other states.  Any chance of switching CIF for OHSAA? lol

CIF has its own issues but over all is okay. Do what MD and sue them.

• Thumbs Down 1

On 12/14/2018 at 12:41 AM, BigDrop said:

Regardless, MD has come to Washington once before to play DM:  1984 when DeMatha (Danny Ferry, Carlton Valentine) ranked #1 by USA Today) played #4 MD at Takoma Academy (with snow falling outside).

They also played in Gonzaga's basketball tournament, I think in 2009. I remember they had something like 19 players in uniform and thinking that money must not be an issue for them...

23 minutes ago, MA Fan said:

They also played in Gonzaga's basketball tournament, I think in 2009. I remember they had something like 19 players in uniform and thinking that money must not be an issue for them...

The ‘84 basketball game between DM and Mater Dei (Gary MacKnight’s 5th or 6th year) was played in a 1300-1500 seat gym at Takoma Academy about 5 miles from DeMatha, 8 or 9 miles from downtown Washington where apparently a lot of the MD parents and fans stayed.  MD brought their cheerleaders and I would guesstimate 400-500 fans, almost filling one side of the two level bleachers.  There was a great atmosphere, almost a WCAC like game with passion and energy.  It was also the best of the West Coast vs. the East Coast.  Their fans represented MD well.

DeMatha won the game and it’s fifth national championship that year under Morgan Wooten.

For perspective I am guessing that many of the players in the game are now in their 50’s (!).  

On 12/13/2018 at 6:32 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

Right now the likely three OOS teams are STA, SFA and GC. Subject to change as we're still in the infancy stages of this event. 

That's what I have heard as well ... All games played at the host school (SJB)

20 hours ago, ohio said:

Folsom?  🤣

DLS and Colerain are very similar.  But Colerain is faster, and DLS can't seem to win out of State.

MD and SJB might be too much for the Ohio teams currently. 

Centennial's offense could cause problems for Ohio teams as they are not used to seeing it.  But Centennial's defense has been suspect against better teams.  So, who knows.

Just my take

Not sure why you think Colerain is faster — they have maybe never been beaten by speed (can’t think of one example — maybe Lakeland ‘09)

you say “DLS loses OOS” but had a running clock win on their last visit to OH 

As did SJB a couple of years ago — trust me that OH doesnt have anyone that can play with MD or SJB 

maybe DLS — I just think the speed comparison was made due to flawed perceptions 

On 12/13/2018 at 12:59 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

I'm currently working on a SoCal, Trinity League triple header next September. One of the matchups would be STA vs MD. The games would be played at SJB. 

SFA is also involved. Still seeking a third OOS team. JSerra is the third Trinity team. Stay tuned. 

Is the venue and the local teams  a done deal, they're just seeking opponents?

On 12/13/2018 at 6:39 PM, Omaha Vol said:

Is GC going to have a good class coming back? If so, they might give JSerra a decent game. If DeMatha or St. John’s get better recruits maybe one of them instead? 

GC brings back 15 

On 12/13/2018 at 7:11 PM, WCACguy said:

Barring a bunch of transfers GC should be the fourth best team in the WCAC...they lose a lot and were not good without a QB down the stretch. 

Have to agree  they stunk without their QB..  2019 they will be fine...DM GZ and SJC are all top 20 teams GC not far behind they will be able to compete with anybody