The GHSA and the Benz are splitting. Told you it was cursed.

HooverOutlaw

I told everyone from day 1 it was a bad deal.  But Fred and a few other said it was a great deal  paradise if you will. 

Not a single state title has been played on the scheduled date.  With some games not even played at the dome period  due to a light dusting of snow. 

The Benz folks understand how bad and criminal the GHSA leaders are and have had enough.  So they priced themselves so high knowing the GHSA could not pay. Not giving refunds in 2017 was criminal.

Just another black eye for the GHSA. 

• Haha 2

The Benz never wanted high school football in their venue to begin with.  It's like somebody asking you if you wanna sell your home...and you really don't want to...so you say...sure...for a MILLION dollars.  And then some stupid ass person says...well OK.

The Championship games need to be played in Central Georgia.

Rufus>>

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

What’s the biggest stadium in Central Georgia? 

Would Georgia Southern be viable? Would the stadium Georgia State plays in work? 

What about Georgia Tech or Athens? 

https://mercerbears.com/facilities/?id=3

South Georgia drives 2 hours. Atlanta drives 1.5. 

This just makes far too much sense for the super-smart-mega-educated GHSA folks.

They'd rather have it at Georgia State/Turner Field where south Georgia drives 4 hours and Atlanta drives 30 minutes. 

Five Star at Mercer, of course isn't the biggest stadium, but, it's the most centrally located. 

Paulson at Georgia Southern probably seats double what Five Star does. 

The home/away seating at Georgia State is goofy. The stadium is nice but the seating is way too uneven between home and away. That's besides the travel being unfair unless all the teams playing are from the Atlanta area.

55 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

What’s the biggest stadium in Central Georgia? 

Would Georgia Southern be viable? Would the stadium Georgia State plays in work? 

What about Georgia Tech or Athens? 

Georgia Southern is not Central GA that would be a hefty drive for every team involved... 

Statesboro is so out of the way it's ridiculous... 

5 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Five Star at Mercer, of course isn't the biggest stadium, but, it's the most centrally located. 

Paulson at Georgia Southern probably seats double what Five Star does. 

The home/away seating at Georgia State is goofy. The stadium is nice but the seating is way too uneven between home and away. That's besides the travel being unfair unless all the teams playing are from the Atlanta area.

Mercer...to me is a very good choice.  If I threaten to stop sending them money...they might would agree to some sort of December extravaganza.

Rufus>>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rufus69 said:

Mercer...to me is a very good choice.  If I threaten to stop sending them money...they might would agree to some sort of December extravaganza.

Rufus>>

I think it's a great choice for a venue. Centrally located, small enough that it will likely fill up and create a better atmosphere than the Benz or Dome did. 

The tickets would be a hot commodity depending on the teams playing. 

If I was one of the mega-super-smart GHSA types it would be Mercer or the home of the high seed given seating requirement was met. 

12 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Looked it up. It only seats 10,200. Would that be big enough? Even if they got the seating up to 15K would that be enough for Colquitt vs an Atlanta team who has a big following? 

Its hard to say really. I'd imagine that Colquitt playing a state championship closer to home would nearly fill the stadium to capacity alone.

With a limited number of seats, the ticket prices could be raised which would be good for the GHSA, however that cause a few fans to miss out.

Statesboro would be ideal seating wise but that is a 3-4 hour drive in either direction from most schools that are likely state championship contenders. Which is fine for me considering it is that distance to Atlanta. It would force the northern schools to actually play away from Atlanta for once.

17 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

I told everyone from day 1 it was a bad deal.  But Fred and a few other said it was a great deal  paradise if you will. 

Not a single state title has been played on the scheduled date.  With some games not even played at the dome period  due to a light dusting of snow. 

The Benz folks understand how bad and criminal the GHSA leaders are and have had enough.  So they priced themselves so high knowing the GHSA could not pay. Not giving refunds in 2017 was criminal.

Just another black eye for the GHSA. 

Don't recall ever calling it paradise.  Been heads down at work the past several days so I don't have a clue what you are talking about.  Biggest question is I just don't get your fascination/obsession with the GHSA.

9 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Looked it up. It only seats 10,200. Would that be big enough? Even if they got the seating up to 15K would that be enough for Colquitt vs an Atlanta team who has a big following? 

Better than playing in a more than half closed 2/3's empty facility that is difficult to navigate the way to your seats. 

Five Star would likely fill up to capacity and make a much better atmosphere. 

Nobody is really that worried about any of the Atlanta schools travelling 2 hours well. If it's not right across the street, they have too much other stuff they can do. xD

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Better than playing in a more than half closed 2/3's empty facility that is difficult to navigate the way to your seats. 

Five Star would likely fill up to capacity and make a much better atmosphere. 

Nobody is really that worried about any of the Atlanta schools travelling 2 hours well. If it's not right across the street, they have too much other stuff they can do. xD

Add to that...me and Coach Lamb would be up in Five Star giving out "schollie offers" as Christmas presents....(Smile).  

Rufus>>

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Fuck the Benz anyway. 

The design is terrible. 

I vote we play at the home stadium of the highest seeds or Mercer. 

When I first got to GA in 94'  one of the coolest things that separated GA football from the rest of the country was playing a state title game on your home field.   Can never forget the WR Demons going into a cold Statesboro for that title game about 15 years ago.  LOVED that atmosphere!!!

Middle GA perfect place for playoff games - Mercer, McT, etc... all good spots in MGA.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Its hard to say really. I'd imagine that Colquitt playing a state championship closer to home would nearly fill the stadium to capacity alone.

With a limited number of seats, the ticket prices could be raised which would be good for the GHSA, however that cause a few fans to miss out.

Statesboro would be ideal seating wise but that is a 3-4 hour drive in either direction from most schools that are likely state championship contenders. Which is fine for me considering it is that distance to Atlanta. It would force the northern schools to actually play away from Atlanta for once.

McConnell Talbert in Warner Robins - holds more than Five Star and can have a fly over prior to kickoff!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fred said:

Don't recall ever calling it paradise.  Been heads down at work the past several days so I don't have a clue what you are talking about.  Biggest question is I just don't get your fascination/obsession with the GHSA.

Its hard for anyone living in a county that touches the loop to understand obsessions/fascination/disgruntleness/disdain/etc... for the GHSA.  I would enjoy hearing you and your attitude if, for the last 15 years, all kickoff classics and title games were played in Moultrie or Valdosta.  I lived in WR/Byron for years and thought it SUCKED that everything was played up there, UNTIL I moved to Marietta at which point I wondered why all the Valdosta and Colquitt fans were bitching ~ this shit was nice only having to drive 20 minutes to the Dome and having 8000 more fans making the trip, lol.

19 hours ago, MTP28 said:

Remember 1980 Lowndes playing Warner Robins in Macon. Very cold but Wild Turkey helped. Lowndes won their first SC Cedric Jones, Eric Thomas, Steve Player. WR had not seen a passing attack like that before. Broadcast crew for WR pissed.

Kenny Culpeeppper and Jason Bugler also played on that team.  That 1980 Lowndes team was nice.  I watched (and have on dvd now) the 1980 game b/n Lowndes and Valdosta every once in a great while.  It's really cool to see the old school helmets and uniforms, the field back then, and all that good stuff.  I think both teams were undefeated going into that game as well.

Yeah I’m my opinion that 80’ team may be a toss up between them and the 04’ team. Two different type teams. 80’ team had great balance between running / passing. Eric Thomas (FSU) was one of the best QB to come out of this area. Great Region Championship game. Think Jones had over 30 rushing TDs

• Like 1