It’s official, STA at DLS on 8/23

DLS350

5 minutes ago, Pops said:

Well, that didn’t work 

wanna take a vote?  You can always rely on your Fluffer 

btw, do you ever see dsouth on your message board hobbling 

I liked that guy 

If you're just going to waste people's time with diversionary, ass-covering then you might as well just go do something else.

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, The Guru said:

On the contrary, it's gotten plenty of traction. That's because it has the added benefit of being true and demonstrable.

And your attempts to deflect are becoming pitiful.

This is not comparative. STA has nothing to do with DLS' inability to get the offers that they merit.

Now you’re just going full retard 

we’ve all seen this act before — the Otter Defense 

2 minutes ago, Pops said:

Now you’re just going full retard 

we’ve all seen this act before — the Otter Defense 

The act we've seen before is Pops in full back-pedal mode.

He's run out of talking points and bullet-points.

Which leaves him with......no points.

6 minutes ago, The Guru said:

The act we've seen before is Pops in full back-pedal mode.

He's run out of talking points and bullet-points.

Which leaves him with......no points.

I’ve just got better things to do than watch you chase your tail thinking you’re accomplishing something 

Let me summarize your position 

you believe that the reason that the consensus among National hsfb afficianados is that the STA is even or a small dog despite a 30-2 D1 advantage (8-0 4*s; 14-0 3/4*s) is that DLS coaches fail to get their kids offers and everyone knows that 

46 minutes ago, Pops said:

you believe that the reason that the consensus among National hsfb afficianados is that the STA is even or a small dog despite a 30-2 D1 advantage (8-0 4*s; 14-0 3/4*s) is that DLS coaches fail to get their kids offers and everyone knows that 

No, you always have to load up your posts with nonsense to obscure the point.

DLS only having 2 offers is not a sign of no talent. It's a sign of bad work by their coaches.

41 minutes ago, RedZone said:

pop's keeps poking Godzilla and DLS keeps scheduling Godzilla.

Not sure I’ve poked or provoked anyone but definitely agree with second part 

Alumbaugh is no dummy — he knows things I don’t about his team; I hope he knows at least as much about STA’s team, but if so, he appears to be this guy:

tenor.gif?itemid=5701188

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Guru said:

DLS only having 2 offers is not a sign of no talent. It's a sign of bad work by their coaches.

Alright, I will venture down the rabbit hole here.  I agree with your first sentence.  DLS usually has way more talent than some people think.  This isn't the 1980's anymore.   I understand the logic behind your opinion on in your second sentence, but I disagree with with it for a number of reasons.

De La Salle is a known commodity around the nation.  Isn't Tosh Lupoi, a DLS grad, still the recruiting coordinator at Alabama?  DLS is a regular stop among NCAA recruiters, even when they aren't loaded the 3* or higher players.  We don't know the conversations that the coaches have with these guys, so maybe they are bad at the "hey, I know you came to look at this guy, but take a look over here...." part of the visits.

But DLS is also known as a systems team and what translates for success at DLS does not always carry over to college.   The recruiters also know this.  They recruiters tend look at tangibles such as height, weight and speed more than the intangibles such as heart and desire, at least initially.  Not saying that those do not factor, but the "checklist" for the former will usually carry more value over the latter.  This is why you don't see many offensive skill players, other than the guys who run 4.3's, getting offers from there.  Why waste a scholarship on a short and "slow" running back when there are three guys down the street with better attributes?  That is not on the coaches.

But back to the stars of players.  Maybe you should look at the success rate of the DLS coaching staff "getting" scholarship offers for the players with higher star rating than just the overall big picture of the whole team.  If DLS has 3 players rated 2* or higher and all 3 get offers, wouldn't that be a success, especially when in comparison, other coaches are have the same success rate?  Its not the coaches fault they they have 3 2* players while the team down the road has 7 of them.   Or is the DLS coaching staff now responsible for how the guys that award the stars are giving out their ratings?  This is where you can say how DLS frowning on their players participating in summer camps negatively impacts college recruiting, but that is a tangential argument.

It comes down to this.  Is it the coaching staffs responsibility to put their team in the best position to win games or is it their responsibility to promote their stars for the next level?

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Rippers said:

Is it the coaching staffs responsibility to put their team in the best position to win games or is it their responsibility to promote their stars for the next level?

Well, since DLS doesn't care about winning (wink, wink) they shouldn't have any trouble answering this question.

1 minute ago, The Guru said:

Well, since DLS doesn't care about winning (wink, wink) they shouldn't have any trouble answering this question.

I get the "wink, wink", but anyone who thinks DLS doesn't care about winning has their head buried in the sand.  They want to, prepare to, and expect to win every game they play, but they can accept a loss, provided the team gives its best effort.  That is the subtle difference.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Rippers said:

But back to the stars of players.  Maybe you should look at the success rate of the DLS coaching staff "getting" scholarship offers for the players with higher star rating than just the overall big picture of the whole team.  If DLS has 3 players rated 2* or higher and all 3 get offers, wouldn't that be a success, especially when in comparison, other coaches are have the same success rate?  Its not the coaches fault they they have 3 2* players while the team down the road has 7 of them.   Or is the DLS coaching staff now responsible for how the guys that award the stars are giving out their ratings?  This is where you can say how DLS frowning on their players participating in summer camps negatively impacts college recruiting, but that is a tangential argument.

You're way out in left field.

I never addressed star ratings. I addressed quality football players.

And just for the record, Jhasi Wilson was a 3-star on 24/7 and signed with FCS Northern Arizona.

So by your standard, the DLS staff should get an 'F' for that.

24 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Maybe a C-, especially if he did have an ASU offer, but opted for the FCS school.  That is not on the coaching staff.

And in the eyes of the recruiting world, stars often equality quality.  Sure, tons of kids are missed and the stars are totally subjective, but so is quality.  It comes down to "does the kid fit what we are looking for".  Coaches can stump all they want, but they do not have final say.  Again, it depends on what are they emphasizing as their responsibility.  Team wins or future individual success?

And between the internet and national recruiting sites, among other things, how much is really on the coaching staff to draw attention to their kids nowadays in the first place?  Especially for the schools of national prominence.  I mean the DLS administration has them playing on ESPN almost yearly.  That is elite level exposure right there, one shared by only a small handful of schools.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Guru said:

You're way out in left field.

I never addressed star ratings. I addressed quality football players.

And just for the record, Jhasi Wilson was a 3-star on 24/7 and signed with FCS Northern Arizona.

You bring up Jhasi wilson a few times. You really think he was a standout player ?  He typifies the point, that DLS has good H>S. players, but not necessarily players that translate to the next level. Wilson is solid, but he lacks that D-1 speed, imop, that is needed at the next level. If I have questions about that, I am sure recruiters do also.  Northern Arizona plays teams like North Dakota. He will get a good education for free, and also get to see time on the field and not sit on a bench somewhere.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rippers said:

I agree with your first sentence.  DLS usually has way more talent than some people think.  This isn't the 1980's anymore.   

This is where you can say how DLS frowning on their players participating in summer camps negatively impacts college recruiting, but that is a tangential argument.

It comes down to this.  Is it the coaching staffs responsibility to put their team in the best position to win games or is it their responsibility to promote their stars for the next level?

I agree 100% on the fact that DLS, on contrary to the amount of offers is usually fairly talented.   It does beg the question on the scholarship number. 

I think this might be one of the bigger reasons right here.   These college recruiters are getting lazier and they want to go to camps and see the talent in the area congregate rather than visit every school in town.  I never understood why coaches would frown upon these types of camps.  

I think the last question is the big one here.   I know people will have opposite opinions here, but MY answer would be some sort of balance.   Winning helps out the coaches and it's what the fans/boosters want most, with the scholarships helping the kids.  Now, does every kid care about getting a scholarship in the sport?   Most likely not, but for the ones that do, I'm sure support from their coaching staff would help them accomplish that.  

Interesting topic.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I agree 100% on the fact that DLS, on contrary to the amount of offers is usually fairly talented.   It does beg the question on the scholarship number. 

I think this might be one of the bigger reasons right here.   These college recruiters are getting lazier and they want to go to camps and see the talent in the area congregate rather than visit every school in town.  I never understood why coaches would frown upon these types of camps.  

I think the last question is the big one here.   I know people will have opposite opinions here, but MY answer would be some sort of balance.   Winning helps out the coaches and it's what the fans/boosters want most, with the scholarships helping the kids.  Now, does every kid care about getting a scholarship in the sport?   Most likely not, but for the ones that do, I'm sure support from their coaching staff would help them accomplish that.  

Interesting topic.  

Careful gator

Los might come after you next because you didn't feed his ego LMAO ;)

1 hour ago, The Guru said:

He didn't.

Really?

According to 247 Sports and ESPN, he had offers from Northern Arizona, Air Force, Columbia, Dartmouth, Howard, Nevada, San Jose St, Utah State, Yale and Arizona State.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jhasi-Wilson-93076/RecruitInterests/

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/233583/jhasi-wilson

• Haha 1

If you look at many of the comments in this thread-and take others' word that Los Guru is a legitimate STA insider-you can likely glean much insight into why STA has the record (2-9) against Lakeland, DBP and Centennial it does. Those are programs with coaches that emphasize busting their asses in the weight room and playing tough. Apparently, STA's coaches specialize in being salesman  of their players to college coaches. The former approach wins more games than would otherwise happen; the latter gets more scholarships for the players than would otherwise happen. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, badrouter said:

If you look at many of the comments in this thread-and take others' word that Los Guru is a legitimate STA insider-you can likely glean much insight into why STA has the record (2-9) against Lakeland, DBP and Centennial it does. Those are programs with coaches that emphasize busting their asses in the weight room and playing tough. Apparently, STA's coaches specialize in being salesman  of their players to college coaches. The former approach wins more games than would otherwise happen; the latter gets more scholarships for the players than would otherwise happen. 

I would rather have STA's OOS record than DLS's. 

What's that say about DLS?

Aren't they the weight room kings and doesn't the brotherhood play tougher than anyone?

Didn't STA beat DLS 30-6?

8 minutes ago, RedZone said:

I would rather have STA's OOS record than DLS's. 

What's that say about DLS?

Aren't they the weight room kings and doesn't the brotherhood play tougher than anyone?

Didn't STA beat DLS 30-6?

DLS could easily argue they'd rather have all of the wins, undefeated seasons and championships they've had over what STA has. Remember, only on this message board and this message board alone will you find people that put much stock into "OOS". Most coaches, players and fans care about winning the games on their schedule and then winning it all in the playoffs. They don't really give a shit about "OOS".

STA is 1-0 over DLS, yes.The team they beat was the only DLS team in memory who was ever on the verge of losing at home to a Bay area team. I happened to be there when DLS miraculously won in 2OT against Bellarmine, just three weeks before traveling across country to Fort Lauderdale. If STA wins again this year to go 2-0, then they'd have more room to talk!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, badrouter said:

DLS could easily argue they'd rather have all of the wins, undefeated seasons and championships they've had over what STA has. Remember, only on this message board and this message board alone will you find people that put much stock into "OOS". Most coaches, players and fans care about winning the games on their schedule and then winning it all in the playoffs. They don't really give a shit about "OOS".

STA is 1-0 over DLS, yes.The team they beat was the only DLS team in memory who was ever on the verge of losing at home to a Bay area team. I happened to be there when DLS miraculously won in 2OT against Bellarmine, just three weeks before traveling across country to Fort Lauderdale. If STA wins again this year to go 2-0, then they'd have more room to talk!

STA could easily argue they don't play in "norcal". And they would win that argument going away.

What exactly are you trying to prove anyways?