It’s official, STA at DLS on 8/23

DLS350

38 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

When will you get a job as a head coach?  What exactly is your position at STA?? You should be a head coach by now with all you're expertise and ability to disparage every other poster and team....

If Los became head coach at STA he would run them into ground more than the Flanagan athletic director has ran them into the ground

Hell he probably would do it faster too

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Pops said:

I’m pretty sure I played a higher level of ball than you and I’ve actually been a positional coach (vs whatever it is that you do) on a staff with a future nfl HC so put the brakes on your arrogance just a sec

Which is completely and utterly irrelevant.

You don't know shit from shinola about high school football. This is well-documented and is well understood by the people who frequent this forum.

39 minutes ago, Pops said:

in the last 10 years ive seen dozens of DLS kids that could and regularly did kick the shit out of competitors with D1 scholarships 

And yet the DLS staff, empowered with this information, couldn't muster scholarships offers from the likes of San Jose State.

3 hours ago, The Guru said:

[...]

You can't keep pushing the "DLS does better at developing men" narrative when high school exists to prepare them for college and yet your coaches are historically bad at getting their kids to college.

[...]

I think you're confusing preparing kids for college with getting them into college (consider the recent college admissions scandal), and I think you're confusing getting kids into college with getting them positions on a college football team.  

I don't think the point of high school athletics is to prepare those who participate in them for college athletics.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Pops said:

the next years RB had 2,000+ yards, 40+ TDS, 1st team all stare, and MvP of state game — no offers (5’7” Asian American doesn’t help but colleges don’t take chances on guys like that — he could have started at a BCS school like both the guys the previous year (and you called them all “plug and play”) but chose an education from Cal-Berkeley, started on multiple NCAA champ teams, and has played for team USA.  He’s a stud with a center of gravity lower than barry sanders and plenty of speed to play (just ask @Sammyswordsman)

Now you're telling me that Lucas Dunne could've started at a BCS school?

LOL.

So on one hand, DLS doesn't have any talent. But, by the way, Lucas Dunne could've started at a BCS school.

Could've started at a BCS school but instead, out of the sheer goodness of his heart, decided to walk-on to the rugby team at Cal.

It's almost as if the incompetence is there to compensate for the sheer stupidity of it all.

51 minutes ago, Pops said:

Justin walker (was a senior vs you guys) was maybe the strongest player in hsfb and played with a ton of passion but nobody offers 5’11, 215# DL (wrestled D1 at 189, but would have finished in top 10 linemen in NFL combine that year for bench press reps — and yes, at 225.

Brandon Boyce was a 5'11.5" 230 lbs DL in high school and signed with Duke.

When he wanted to transfer after two years, he immediately got a scholarship from South Florida.

Walker could've easily played at the FCS level, too, with those numbers.

Your staff sucks.

4 hours ago, The Stache said:

We have always respected Coach Lad, Coach A, Coach Terry and the entire DLS staff.  They provide a quality football education to their young men.  We also appreciate that the DLS staff also emphasizes life lessons more so than wins and losses.  We support the emphasis on these valuable life lessons, and hope that the DLS staff will continue to increase the emphasis on life lessons.

#Dillydilly

#gofox

#RedDominance

It's a bit of a shame that there are adults who follow HSFB who think that focusing on goals besides winning football games is something to be laughed at. 

1 hour ago, Pops said:

— the next years RB had 2,000+ yards, 40+ TDS, 1st team all stare, and MvP of state game — no offers (5’7” Asian American doesn’t help but colleges don’t take chances on guys like that — he could have started at a BCS school like both the guys the previous year (and you called them all “plug and play”) but chose an education from Cal-Berkeley, started on multiple NCAA champ teams, and has played for team USA.  He’s a stud with a center of gravity lower than barry sanders and plenty of speed to play (just ask @Sammyswordsman)

Ugh.   Don't remind me.  In retrospect that DLS team may have been one of their best ever.  Certainly in the discussion.

5 hours ago, Pops said:

McKenzie was the guy I was thinking about and almost said west coast 

I know DLS coaches aren’t about camps that aren’t about team — wonder if they’re changing or whether Daley family made own decision.  In any event, this looked like it clearly helped him and he ought to pick up a couple or three stars on that performance alone.

(btw, not asking you to opine if you have inside scoop — that’s in-house laundry)

Total guess but it may be due to the positions they play. I think the big issue with McKenzie was not participating in 1v1 linemen drills. Maybe the same risk did not apply for Daley being a skill player.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pops said:

— Keanu Andrade was probably DLS’s best player in the class that included top 100 national recruits Tagaloa and Asiasi (was on varsity as a RB/ LB as soph, led team in tackles by a lot next two years and prepared to do double duty as LB/ C senior year).  Absolute multi-sport stud competitor.  But what college is going to take a 5’8” LB?

Terry Smith was  a 5'8" LB and captain of STA's first state championship team. Led the team in tackles, etc.

He went to UCF (when it was I-AA).

What's your next excuse?

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

I understood the point.

Some institutions focus on what the individual can get for himself and endorse the pursuit of self-interested goals. You can go to a business school where they'll try to teach you how to make a lot of money for yourself and endorse the pursuit of individual wealth. Others have a different focus and endorse different values. In the Marines, I am told, they try to teach you that the welfare of the unit is more important than your own. 

Maybe DLS different tries to teach different values than other programs. I don't know. 

The primary purpose of high school is to prepare kids for college and/or the rest of their lives. A high school football coach, especially at a big school with high name-recognition, has the responsibility to get his kids to college.

When this relationship fails, as it has at DLS, then you immediately turn around and claim that DLS just has different "values" than other places.

What "value" would DLS have that would be opposed to getting kids into college?

This is peak DLS fanboyism.

Take a failure and claim that it's really a success.

57 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I think you're confusing preparing kids for college with getting them into college (consider the recent college admissions scandal), and I think you're confusing getting kids into college with getting them positions on a college football team. 

I'm not.

Students that play football are the responsibility, first and foremost, of the football coach. Whether it be checking their grades, getting them offers, walking them and their family through the visit and commitment process, etc.

A school of De La Salle's size and stature shouldn't have only two players with moderate offers at this point in the year.

This isn't revelatory to anybody who has even a tad bit of experience in this.

Based on all of the evidence, De La Salle's staff seems especially terrible at this aspect of their job.

I don't think the point of high school athletics is to prepare those who participate in them for college athletics.

The point of any high school program, whether it's football or biology, is to prepare the participants for the next phase of their life (college, usually) in that discipline.

If any football coach says that getting their kids to the next level in some way is not their job then that coach is shit.

52 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

It's a bit of a shame that there are adults who follow HSFB who think that focusing on goals besides winning football games is something to be laughed at. 

That Pops for ya.

Only cares about the streak and being able to politic for a national championship at the end of the season.

Then has the audacity to claim that schools, whose main focus is college scholarships for their kids, care too much about winning.

Maybe DLS different tries to teach different values than other programs. I don't know. 

Maybe DLS just isn't getting the players like they used too.

Today's DLS looks nothing like the DLS of 15 years ago and I doubt their values have improved because of it.

Why can't a team have the players and the values?

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Maybe DLS just isn't getting the players like they used too.

Today's DLS looks nothing like the DLS of 15 years ago and I doubt their values have improved because of it.

Why can't a team have the players and the values?

They might not be. There have been changes in admissions policies in the past. That helps to explain the sharp decline in individual talent between the 2003 team and the 2004 team. According to 247sports, DLS sent only one player to the next level over a 5 year period.

It might be difficult to teach a certain range of values while also allowing or even seeking out a significant number of transfers. For example, it would hard to teach a commitment to the welfare of the group while also teaching that, when an individual's self-interested goals come into conflict with the goals of the group, the individual should leave the group and seek out some other group, where his self-interested goals might be better served.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Guru said:

They're not responsible for putting kids into the NFL.

What they are responsible for, though, is putting them on college campuses and they embarrass Alumbaugh in that regard.

You’re just being silly now 

first warning to The Guru 

On 5/20/2019 at 5:22 PM, The Guru said:

The point of any high school program, whether it's football or biology, is to prepare the participants for the next phase of their life (college, usually) in that discipline.

If any football coach says that getting their kids to the next level in some way is not their job then that coach is shit.

If the point of high school athletics was to prepare those who participated in them for college athletics, then the overwhelming majority of those who participated in them would have no reason to do so, since most have no reasonable chance of playing at the next level and are aware of that fact. But since that's implausible, we can infer that the point of high school athletics isn't to get those who participate in them prepared for college athletics. 

If a high school football coach's job was to maximize the number of his players who get offers and if DLS's coach has failed to meet this requirement, then he would be guilty of malfeasance and would not be able to keep his job for very long, given, as you have pointed out, how prominent DLS's program is. But since that's implausible, we can infer that it's either not a proper part of a coach's job, or that DLS's coach has not failed to meet that requirement, or both.

So, it looks like you're confused about the point of high school athletics and also about whether DLS's coach has done his job reasonably well. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Guru said:

That Pops for ya.

Only cares about the streak and being able to politic for a national championship at the end of the season.

Then has the audacity to claim that schools, whose main focus is college scholarships for their kids, care too much about winning.

The stated goal of DLS coaches is to get team to sbg open final. They don't care about national rankings and all that because it is out of their control to begin with. You know as well as anybody that DLS way out performs their talent that they have. They usually have a sprinkling of talent mixed in with good hardworking over acheiving H.S. players. If, and when they do get the really good classes, then they are in the argument of being a top 5 sort of team. Hasn't happened the last 3 seasons and most likely won't be this season either. Administration is very careful on whom they admit. Sports is not their top priority, unlike MD or SJB etc. I'm not making a judgment here, just stating the facts as I know them. I don't know all the details, just generalizations. If you really want to know how the coaches feel, just go to spartanhood and read what Lad himself has written. He pretty well sums up the DLS  policy. If you want to call him full of b.s. after reading, than go ahead.

• Like 1