Geico Bowl Series 2019

FootballGuy

1 hour ago, FootballGuy said:

Damn you're right. I think if this were to come into fruition, y'all might have the "grayson" problem from 2016. 

Well...Hawg may send me a "cease & desist" on this...but...in my opine...the competitive philosophy has changed at Colquitt.   Rush wanted our philosphy to take a more "national" approach.  He wanted to integrate OOS teams into our schedule trying to create a broader presence for Colquitt County.   He wanted desperately to play in the Geico Series games.  He brought in teams that we would have never even considered back in the day.

Since his departure...I do believe we're migrating back towards a Region/State outlook.  I still think we'll play the good teams...but I think we'll stay in Georgia when we schedule.   Now we might occasionally branch out to Jacksonville or even Lake City...but I'll be shocked if we play many teams that are not associated with the GHSA.  It's kinda like a double-edged sword.  We pretty much left two State Championships on the field by forward thinking.   We need to learn to take care of our business in Georgia first.

At the moment...there simply is not that much concern over a national persona for Colquitt football.    That may change...but with the current people in place...I highly doubt it.

Rufus>>

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Well...Hawg may send me a "cease & desist" on this...but...in my opine...the competitive philosophy has changed at Colquitt.   Rush wanted our philosphy to take a more "national" approach.  He wanted to integrate OOS teams into our schedule trying to create a broader presence for Colquitt County.   He wanted desperately to play in the Geico Series games.  He brought in teams that we would have never even considered back in the day.

Since his departure...I do believe we're migrating back towards a Region/State outlook.  I still think we'll play the good teams...but I think we'll stay in Georgia when we schedule.   Now we might occasionally branch out to Jacksonville or even Lake City...but I'll be shocked if we play many teams that are not associated with the GHSA.  It's kinda like a double-edged sword.  We pretty much left two State Championships on the field by forward thinking.   We need to learn to take care of our business in Georgia first.

At the moment...there simply is not that much concern over a national persona for Colquitt football.    That may change...but with the current people in place...I highly doubt it.

Rufus>>

Good post. Now that you mention it, Coach Rogers did say that he wanted to schedule more Georgia teams going forward, so the days of scheduling teams from oos are numbered now that he's at the helm. 

13 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Good post. Now that you mention it, Coach Rogers did say that he wanted to schedule more Georgia teams going forward, so the days of scheduling teams from oos are numbered now that he's at the helm. 

Well...one thing...it ain't only Justin driving that train.   It's the administration and a few of Colquitt's prominent citizens leading the way.   Justin either happens to agree with them...or...is happy to have the job.

Rufus>>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

The last two years. When they demolished both Bingham and Lee. 

Good we finally got and answer according to Gieco bowl series and Prep Gridiron Logistics you don't have to be a state champion to play in the Gieco state champion bowl series.  See how hard was that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rufus69 said:

Rufus>>

1 hour ago, FootballGuy said:

I think we'll still likely play some out of state games. The current coach isn't all about that, but, he is about making sure our kids continue to get exposure. 

I think the times have certainly changed here though. Time will tell how much. 

I think we'll find out soon whether the tales about teams here not wanting to play us were really true. According to Rush, we had to start searching high and low for games, thus, we ended up with some decent oos games. 

If that was true, then, it'll probably stay true. Thus, there will still be a need to look oos for certain dates. 

As far as a GEICO Bowl... yeah idk. Like I said before, there isn't a lot of love for ESPN and how they handle their broadcasts around here. I'm not speaking for the coach though. I have never asked him face to face about how he feels about them and their hsfb broadcasts. 

I know he is all about team unity like a family as one of his 5 key fundamental philosophy elements. I don't think he'd be running toward anything that he feels may negatively affect that unity. 

I did ask him in his Q&A here and he pointed out that we would still possibly play oos but he would try tapping in state powers as well. Maybe those in states are more willing sans Rush.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Hope so. Lakeland will never travel West if need be. 

Lakeland turned down hosting Lee County last year. St Frances was actually a backup team. Cheaper to bus Lee to FL than fly/bus SFA to GA. 

If they turned that down I don’t see them agreeing to anything else. Unless a lot of guys were banged up and they didn’t want to play short manned. 

Lakeland should be listed as doubtful. 

21 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I think we'll still likely play some out of state games. The current coach isn't all about that, but, he is about making sure our kids continue to get exposure. 

I think we'll find out soon whether the tales about teams here not wanting to play us were really true. According to Rush, we had to start searching high and low for games, thus, we ended up with some decent oos games. 

If that was true, then, it'll probably stay true. Thus, there will still be a need to look oos for certain dates. 

As far as a GEICO Bowl... yeah idk. Like I said before, there isn't a lot of love for ESPN and how they handle their broadcasts around here. I'm not speaking for the coach though. I have never asked him face to face about how he feels about them and their hsfb broadcasts. 

I know he is all about team unity like a family as one of his 5 key fundamental philosophy elements. I don't think he'd be running toward anything that he feels may negatively affect that unity. 

I did ask him in his Q&A here and he pointed out that we would still possibly play oos but he would try tapping in state powers as well. Maybe those in states are more willing sans Rush.

Could you see Colquitt vs Columbia getting extended long term?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

Could you see Colquitt vs Columbia getting extended long term?

Idk. Someone would have to ask the coach about that. It seems like it's something that could make a lot of sense imo. I just don't know how they got along when talking before, during and after the game. 

I don't know any reason why they wouldn't be agreeable to it though. 

25 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Can you elaborate on this, please? 

Just now, HawgGoneIt said:

Idk. Someone would have to ask the coach about that. It seems like it's something that could make a lot of sense imo. I just don't know how they got along when talking before, during and after the game. 

I don't know any reason why they wouldn't be agreeable to it though. 

Well it sounded like they got along before game but no idea If it was discussed since the game