Fair pay to play act

Ararar

13 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Will California force the NCAA to change policy on player endorsements? Will the balance of power change to the West coast once again 

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/27593438/ncaa-asks-california-deny-fair-pay-play-act

It will depend on how many other states go that way 

If enough states pass a similar law it could force the NCAA into a spot they will have to make a decision or risk losing big

19 minutes ago, westbankeagle said:

One can only hope they pass this so CA schools can get booted from the NCAA if they started paying kids. It'll lead to kids not going to those schools because no one will care about an all-CA minor league. Those recruits will then go outside the state. We all will then have a good laugh.

Money talks brother 

if you don’t believe me just wait and watch

does a 5* want to get paid or used?

why do you think the NCAA is trying so hard to “work “ with California 😂

2 hours ago, Ararar said:

Money talks brother 

if you don’t believe me just wait and watch

does a 5* want to get paid or used?

why do you think the NCAA is trying so hard to “work “ with California 😂

What you don't realize is that scholarships will be pulled and won't exist anymore. Maybe your top QBs etc will pull in 250k a year, but your guys who are roster fillers may not even be paid enough to pay tuition. This won't play out the way you think. 

33 minutes ago, westbankeagle said:

What you don't realize is that scholarships will be pulled and won't exist anymore. Maybe your top QBs etc will pull in 250k a year, but your guys who are roster fillers may not even be paid enough to pay tuition. This won't play out the way you think. 

Why would schools pull scholarships? They are not the ones paying the players.They will be allowed to make money for things like coaching or autographs or use of their likeness by school sponsors like Nike and Under Armor.

schools well give scholarships because it’s still money in the bank for them.The NCAA risk is becoming a non entity if they ban states from championship participation because they will form their own organizations and kids will flock there for opportunities to make money weather your getting paid by Nike or for a coaching clinic 

19 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Why would schools pull scholarships? They are not the ones paying the players.They will be allowed to make money for things like coaching or autographs or use of their likeness by school sponsors like Nike and Under Armor.

schools well give scholarships because it’s still money in the bank for them.The NCAA risk is becoming a non entity if they ban states from championship participation because they will form their own organizations and kids will flock there for opportunities to make money weather your getting paid by Nike or for a coaching clinic 

Getting paid makes them professional athletes. I can't imagine a school giving an amateur athletic scholarship to a professional. Besides, what do you think the Title 9ers are going to do when they find out they are losing 85 scholarships in womens sports because mens football would need to break away from the NCAA completely in order to make this thing truly work.

1 hour ago, westbankeagle said:

Getting paid makes them professional athletes. I can't imagine a school giving an amateur athletic scholarship to a professional. Besides, what do you think the Title 9ers are going to do when they find out they are losing 85 scholarships in womens sports because mens football would need to break away from the NCAA completely in order to make this thing truly work.

It only makes them professional if the schools pay them for playing a sport which won’t be the case.

The NCAA doesn’t want California or any other state to break away because that will completely neuter them to enforce rules.States will just keep breaking away until there is no more NCAA and they know it.My guess is the NCAA will amend their rules and this will be settled before 2023

You guys do realize that NCAA Division 1A student-athletes on scholarship already receive checks every single month from the athletic department...The question  should be do they deserve MORE $ and how do you decide who receives what rate?

Back in my day (when it was the PAC-10), we received roughly $450 a month, plus per diem for every road trip(roughly $75-100 for a 2 day/1night trip), and we had training table every day, at least twice a day with plenty of to-go containers to bring back to our rooms (which were far superior to the other dorms on campus). 

The benefits of being a student-athlete far outweigh the negatives of being a student-athlete.

But, let’s be honest...Do some people know how to budget their money efficiently? Yes. Are some people foolish with their money? Absolutely. 

More money in the pockets of 18-22 year olds will not change those facts.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, THS2011 said:

I still don't think college athletes should get paid actual cash. 

I'm more in favor of a trust fund type of setup. Each athlete can receive an appropriate, fixed monthly amount to live off of with the rest deposited into a trust that isn't available until they graduate, declare professionally, or suffer some type of injury that cuts their collegiate career short.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ararar said:

What should they get? 

Living stipend. I compare this to getting an internship. Most internships are free, you get nothing but experience and job credentials, i.e. making it to the pros. These athletes get top notch training, coaching, connections, care, support, treated like gods on campus, 5 star travel accommodations, and im sure im leaving things out on top of a free 40k + degree, if they chose to get it. 

9 hours ago, westbankeagle said:

And here comes the problems. 

This is gonna start a chain reaction. 

I don't like the NCAA either but this is gonna get out of hand as soon as it starts. 

Because next the basketball players will wanna get paid. 

Then the. Baseball players and so on... 

I don't blame em.... I know the feeling of being in college and struggling for cash. The scholarship pays for classes,tuition,meal plans and dorms but it doesn't pay for the other things like entertainment,Clothing,etc. And I know the easy answer is "Get a job" but that shit don't always work out I've learned alot of places don't wanna hire a college student. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

I'm more in favor of a trust fund type of setup. Each athlete can receive an appropriate, fixed monthly amount to live off of with the rest deposited into a trust that isn't available until they graduate, declare professionally, or suffer some type of injury that cuts their collegiate career short.

I would support that. 

So long as that monthly amount is something reasonable and not some penny pinching BS. 

• Like 1