DeMatha 42 St. Ignatius 0

BigDrop

20 hours ago, BigDrop said:

OH used to have a 350 mile limit from the state line on how far they would let a team travel.

Iggy looked like a youth league team playing DM yesterday.  DM has another similar game next week.  Telling you all, wait till they play Gonzaga the following week.  We shall see whether DM has improved or if they just have had an easy schedule. 

2 minutes ago, WCACFan said:

Iggy looked like a youth league team playing DM yesterday.  DM has another similar game next week.  Telling you all, wait till they play Gonzaga the following week.  We shall see whether DM has improved or if they just have had an easy schedule. 

Does DM bother you? I’ve sensed it for a while now. 

3 hours ago, OdbCle said:

I remember Diggs in that game against X in 2010. One of those guys who was on a completely different level than everyone else on the field, and you just knew you'd see him on Sundays one day. 

The WCAC has definitely established itself as one of the premier conferences in the country over the past decade, and the willingness to go OOS and play the best teams from the top states has increased the level of play. The talent has always been there, now they are starting to play up to the talent level. 

That was the golden years IMO of the era for talent. Tavon Austin, Cyrus Jones, Diggs, Dorian O’Daniel, Darius Jennings, Cyrus Kouandijo, Rodney McLeod, Micah Kiser, Brandon Copeland, Blake Countess, Jelani Jenkins, etc. the list goes on and on. 

6 minutes ago, WCACFan said:

Not really.  Just think people think they are better than they actually are. Trust me, I will be the first to admit that I was wrong if they beat both Gonzaga and SJC this season!  😊

Sounds good. I just thought we were supposed to pump each other up during the OOS season. Especially for top 25 wins. I know a few WCAC guys on here have bit their tongues for a couple of the other squads. But you’re right, time will tell. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Just now, NicholasMalibu said:

Sounds good. I just thought we were supposed to pump each other up during the OOS season. Especially for top 25 wins. I know a few WCAC guys on here have bit their tongues for a couple of the other squads. But you’re right, time will tell. 

I've been kinda confused by a lot of this thread. I understand that DeMatha already lost to SJB,  but I would think most people would be giving DeMatha some of the credit here, rather than saying Iggy is terrible or DeMatha hasn't played anybody or all these other teams are gonna beat them. 

DeMatha looked great and forced/took advantage of all Iggy's mistakes.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

I've been kinda confused by a lot of this thread. I understand that DeMatha already lost to SJB,  but I would think most people would be giving DeMatha some of the credit here, rather than saying Iggy is terrible or DeMatha hasn't played anybody or all these other teams are gonna beat them. 

DeMatha looked great and forced/took advantage of all Iggy's mistakes.

Self aggrandizement 

4 hours ago, GREYHOUNDALUM said:

That was the golden years IMO of the era for talent. Tavon Austin, Cyrus Jones, Diggs, Dorian O’Daniel, Darius Jennings, Cyrus Kouandijo, Rodney McLeod, Micah Kiser, Brandon Copeland, Blake Countess, Jelani Jenkins, etc. the list goes on and on. 

no doubt..throw in  some other great players (and future nfl pros) in like kevin hogan, louis young, arie kouandijo, & ( jeff knox, mike moore both in the CFL) ...in terms of talent football began to look like wcac basketball during that era..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GREYHOUNDALUM said:

Oh ok, I misunderstood what you were saying my fault. 

DM obviously was the first to ever have an OOS game, but then they didn’t for years. Then Gilman and GC did it pretty frequently, now there’s many schools doing it. But a handful doing it on a large level. 

OK, Greyhoundalum, having followed DeMatha and the WMAC/WCAC since the early 1960’s I am a bit surprised at your comment about DM not playing OOS games “for years.”

I saw DM play Gerry Faust’s Moeller in Cincinnati in 1980.  Two years before that Jerry Franks, then DeMatha’s Head Coach, took DM to CA to play Woodlawn.  DM beat Brockton, MA (USA Today preseason #1 the first year, top five the second when DM beat them) in 1990.  In the ‘80’s, ‘90’s and 2000’s DM played a half dozen PA schools, had a game cancelled four days before 9/11 against Kansas City Rockhurst,, played St. X in the Herbstreit in Cincinnati, top VA schools Garfield (5X), Lake Braddock (2X), Centreville (2X), Oscar Smith and then later in the 2000’s:  Miami Central, Godby and STA (all Florida), Thomasville, NC, SJR and on and on.

DeMatha played OOS games annually for decades when it was rare for any other team in any league to do this.  Yes, Poggi and Gilman had annual OOS games and yes, Gilman had outstanding teams.  Many years Gilman was DM’s toughest game.

But DM has continuously played annual (even 2x) games every year going back into at least the mid ‘70’s.

Faust’s Moeller was really the school that started OOS games against the absolute top programs from around the country.  They were the benchmark for almost a decade that other programs measured themselves against.

DLS stepped up in the mid ‘90’s and then in the last five or six years it has exploded.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Not true.

But everybody seems to lie about this regarding their team.

That is true.  Moeller had a “Gridiron Guide” that listed every school they ever played.  Schools included Anaheim, CA Servite (Steve Beuerlein), Miami Christopher Columbus, Hampton, VA Bethel, MI Brother Rice, Pittsburgh North Hills, Huntsville, AL J OJohnson, a Dallas private school (Dallas Jesuit?), DeMatha and more. Faust played everyone. He also won 104 out of 106 games at one point and four national championships from ‘76-‘81 (last was the year he left for Notre Dame).

6 hours ago, BigDrop said:

That is true.  Moeller had a “Gridiron Guide” that listed every school they ever played.  Schools included Anaheim, CA Servite (Steve Beuerlein), Miami Christopher Columbus, Hampton, VA Bethel, MI Brother Rice, Pittsburgh North Hills, Huntsville, AL J OJohnson, a Dallas private school (Dallas Jesuit?), DeMatha and more. Faust played everyone. He also won 104 out of 106 games at one point and four national championships from ‘76-‘81 (last was the year he left for Notre Dame).

Miami High was playing major OOS games back in the 1930s and 1940s.

Everybody thinks that their steam started the major OOS game movement. It's not true.

8 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

I remember OU112 talking about this when he was still around. I can't remember the teams he listed that they played, though.

Garfield NJ in 1939 is one, at least.

I think you can the first might have been Miami? I don't know.

Arguably Moeller got the modern tradition going that has continued to this day.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RedZone said:

NOLA's Jesuit and Holy Cross were OOS warriors in the 1930s and 1940's as well....

Links available..

1946 Jesuit played 3 OOS teams.

Boys High (Atlanta) was a power back then and Gonzaga (DC) was one of the Beasts from the East...

Jesuit went 13-0 that year.

Season Record:
Jesuit: (Gernon Brown, Coach

Pensacola, (FL)                     24-6
Baton Rouge              41-14
St. Aloysius                  13-0
Boys; High (Ga.)          20-0
St. Stanislaus                31-6
Nicholls                        55-0
Peters                           41-6
Holy Cross                 32-0
Fortier                          20-7
Warren Easton             27-6
Istrouma                     19-6 (So. La. Championship
Jennings                     48-14 (State Championship
Gonzaga (D.C.)          19-0 (CYO Classic)
Season Record: 
(13-0-0)

59 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

I remember OU112 talking about this when he was still around. I can't remember the teams he listed that they played, though.

They played Toledo (OH) Waite, Baltimore (MD) City College, Atlanta (GA) Boys, Garfield (NJ), Salem (MA), Stivers (OH), Harrison (IL) Tech, Elmira (NY), Knoxville (TN), Wilmington (NC), Chattanooga (TN) Central, among others.

5 minutes ago, The Guru said:

They played Toledo (OH) Waite, Baltimore (MD) City College, Atlanta (GA) Boys,  Garfield (NJ), Salem (MA), Stivers (OH), Harrison (IL) Tech, Elmira (NY), Knoxville (TN), Wilmington (NC), Chattanooga (TN) Central, among others.

NOLA Jesuit beat state champ Mount Carmel, IL in 1944 or 1945. I'll have to check it out later.

Those Jesuit teams were nasty back then.

Surprised they never played Miami High.