NFL draft hypothetical

Adam Kurkjian

• 2 months later...
On 1/22/2021 at 11:54 PM, steeler01 said:

Offensive rookie of the year: Justin Herbert

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/06/offensive-rookie-of-the-year-justin-herbert/

@ATLien12x

@HurricaneNick

@ThunderRam

@Nolebull813

@Sweetlarry

Tua this and that and Herbert ends up having the best season for a QB from this NFL draft by far

I like you Steeler, but what is the point here? Premature ejaculation??

I’m reminded of one of my close friends who argued with me in 2009 over Tyreke Evans vs. Steph Curry. 

After ONE season he bragged just like you’re doing now because Tyreke averaged 20-5-5 and won ROY. Even after season 2 he was unrelenting. But by season 4 he looked just plain stupid. 

Now he never wants me to bring the subject up. Good luck with that!

With regard to Herbert and Tua, we’re not gonna know the end all, be all answer for a few seasons.

First, Tua was less than a year removed from major injury and surgery. He hadn’t gained his full strength back (he’s looking mighty fit now fwiw).

Secondly, Herbert had more to work with offensively. MIA is a defensive led team, the offensive talent wasn’t on the same level and even the upper tier talent they do have was out with injury. Tua was often throwing to the likes of Mack Hollins, Lynn Bowden and Jakeem Grant.

PFF shows Tua having the least amount of average time to throw the ball than any QB. So the oline was a mess too.

Despite that, what was Tua’s record as a starting QB? 6-3. Meanwhile Herbert was under .500.

I’m not suggesting Tua will ever be part of a Super Bowl winning team, let alone do it 7 times, but go compare Tua’s first 9 starts to Tom Brady’s first 9 starts. Eerily similar in terms of record and statistical output.

Also very similar in that they QB’d defensive led teams with limited offensive skill personnel. Brady won games throwing for 150 yards.

Point is, you can’t take any victory laps just yet. Let’s see how the next couple seasons play out.

On 1/23/2021 at 12:59 PM, ATLien12x said:

@steeler01hasn’t posted a year and came back with this? Silliness. 

Yep. Very premature. 

32 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

Despite that, what was Tua’s record as a starting QB? 6-3. Meanwhile Herbert was under .500.

Winning record is a team accomplishment.  As you mentioned in your post,  the dolphins had one thing the Chargers didn't have,  a defense. 

Dolphins 6th in ppg

Chargers 23rd ppg

On 4/13/2021 at 2:30 AM, steeler01 said:

Winning record is a team accomplishment.  As you mentioned in your post,  the dolphins had one thing the Chargers didn't have,  a defense. 

Dolphins 6th in ppg

Chargers 23rd ppg

Winning a championship is also a team accomplishment. But that sure doesn't stop the masses from believing QB's win titles (not teams) and anointing those that have been fortunate to be on numerous title winning teams as automatic GOAT's.

But I digress....

As for the PPG, are you kidding me with that? MIA averaged a whopping 1.3 ppg more.

You need to stop looking at football-reference.com metrics.

MIA had a much better defense, but SD had more weapons on offense. IDK how you can even debate that.

Keenan Allen, Hunter Henry, Mike Williams, Austin Eckler >>>>>> the patchwork offense MIA had most the season.

Preston Williams missed half the season. DeVante Parker was limited all season with a lingering hamstring issue and their starting RB also missed significant time with an injury.

So Tua and Fitzpatrick were often flanked by the likes of Mack Hollins, Isaiah Ford, Lynn Bowden, Malcolm Perry, Jakeem Grant and several different RB's you probably never heard of.

Meanwhile the Chargers offense really only lost Austin Eckler for any significant time.

All of the above pales in comparison to the main point, which is that it's WAY too early to be gloating or declaring a winner. We need to see what transpires over the next couple seasons.

Best recent example to cite is Josh Allen. There are pundits out there that now like him better Lamar Jackson. Prior to 2020, not so much.

• 5 months later...
On 1/22/2021 at 11:54 PM, steeler01 said:

Offensive rookie of the year: Justin Herbert

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/06/offensive-rookie-of-the-year-justin-herbert/

@ATLien12x

@HurricaneNick

@ThunderRam

@Nolebull813

@Sweetlarry

Tua this and that and Herbert ends up having the best season for a QB from this NFL draft by far

Is Tua still better then Herbert?

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2019 at 6:57 AM, Texasfrog said:

That's funny.. because I say the exact same thing about Mater Dei's QB (Bryce Young).

Has all day to throw...  has a lot of elite 5-Star and 4-Star WR level talent around him...  makes him look 10X better than what he really is.

My prediction with Bryce Young.. He'll spend one year on Bama's campus and learn that all these other highly regarded QB's on the roster are just better than him.

Lol, your predictions are just like your posts(Terrible)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RedZone said:

He didn't play like it last week....

J. Herbert 22/39 195 1 TD 1 INT   18.6 QB Rating

We have 6 weeks of data to show the level he's playing at.  You'll have stinkers every now and then.  Just look at Rodgers week 1 or Tom last year against the Packers in the playoffs and against the Saints in the regular season. 

Let me guess,  Burrow and Prescott are better right?

3 hours ago, steeler01 said:

They're doing just fine,  but the question was,  do you think they're better?

Answer that question,  don't evade it with a passer rating chart

If you are talking about this year Burrow and Prescott so far are as good if not better than those guys..

You don't want to admit it, but it's true...

3 hours ago, RedZone said:

If you you talking about this year Burrow and Prescott so far are as good if not better than those guys..

You don't want to admit it, but it's true...

Burrow is not as good as Herbert this year nor any year, but he's a solid QB. 

Dak is playing well,  he's also the least pressured qb in the NFL. Herbert and Burrow are very similar in pressure percentage(.4 separates them) but Herbert is carrying a team by scoring a lot more than Burrow and the Bengals

2 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Burrow is not as good as Herbert this year nor any year, but he's a solid QB. 

Dak is playing well,  he's also the least pressured qb in the NFL. Herbert and Burrow are very similar in pressure percentage(.4 separates them) but Herbert is carrying a team by scoring a lot more than Burrow and the Bengals

Herbert is way better than burrows.  Just look at fantasy rankings.  Burrows is way down the line.

4 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Herbert and Burrow are very similar in pressure percentage(.4 separates them) but Herbert is carrying a team by scoring a lot more than Burrow and the Bengals

The Bengals have one of the best RBs in the NFL that not many talk about..... Joe Mixon.

Mixon has taken some of the pressure off Joe Burrow.

The Bengals aren't bad. They have some offensive weapons and the defense is playing solid so far.

Rummel's own Ja'Marr Chase may win Rookie of the Year.