Best college team ever?

GrecoRoman

My favorite was Nebraska '1995 -96.  I think the best was Miami 2000 - 01

Offense:

TB:  Clinton Portis, Willis McGahe and Frank Gore.  FB:  Najeh Davenport  WR: Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss      TE: Jeremy Shockey and Kellen Winslow     

Defense:

Vince Wilfork, Jonathan Vilma, DJ Williams, Rocky McIntosh, Sean Taylor, Ed Reed, Antrell Rolle Mike Rumph, Kelly Jennings, Phillip Buchanon

Nobody could f*** with that team.   To think of my Nebraska sqaud trying to run option with either Ed Reed or  Sean Taylor to spy Frazier ......almost the entire team became pro bowlers not just NFL players smh wtf?!?   Inside info - if Dennis Erickson didnt leave to Oregon State Chad Johnson would have been on that team lol.  No team comes remotely close in terms of talent .....any takers?

15 minutes ago, GrecoRoman said:

Offense:

TB:  Clinton Portis, Willis McGahe and Frank Gore.  FB:  Najeh Davenport  WR: Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss      TE: Jeremy Shockey and Kellen Winslow     

Defense:

Vince Wilfork, Jonathan Vilma, DJ Williams, Rocky McIntosh, Sean Taylor, Ed Reed, Antrell Rolle Mike Rumph, Kelly Jennings, Phillip Buchanon

Nobody could f*** with that team.   To think of my Nebraska sqaud trying to run option with either Ed Reed or  Sean Taylor to spy Frazier ......almost the entire team became pro bowlers not just NFL players smh wtf?!?   Inside info - if Dennis Erickson didnt leave to Oregon State Chad Johnson would have been on that team lol.  No team comes remotely close in terms of talent .....any takers?

2019 Rutgers 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

2004 USC, 2009 Alabama, 2005 Texas, 2001 Miami, 2010 Auburn, 2008 Florida... 1980 Georgia

I guess you can throw 2018 Clemson in there seeing as how they absolutely smashed Notre Dame and Alabama in the playoffs

Lots of teams weren't as gifted depth wise at the skill positions but would cause Dorsey and that Miami Offensive line to struggle

42 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Lots of teams weren't as gifted depth wise at the skill positions but would cause Dorsey and that Miami Offensive line to struggle

This is a great point - would be the x factor in how to beat them. Still not sure how to move on their defense but no doubt what you say is true

Fun facts about 2001 Miami:

- Every single team Miami played suffered at least one true blowout loss to some other team not named Miami. This includes Va. Tech and Boston College, which were significant struggles-i.e. they could have very easily lost both- for Miami.

- No team Miami played finished in the final top 5 rankings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SJR89 said:

1988 Notre Dame

Beat #1 Miami in one of the best college football games ever...fight before game.... Catholics vs convicts....

This Irish team was nasty, big d line...brash for Notre Dame...smash mouth football....

12-0 season  /  National Champions 

Was that the year the 'Canes got robbed under the gaze of Touchdown Jesus up there ? That was no fumble at the goal line, and it also should have been 1st and goal. The local black and white striper's were the criminals that day. Miami went on and destroyed undefeated #3 Texas at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. (an ESPN 30/30 was all over the game) That was a great Miami team !  Maybe it's best. (IMO)........Today's video replays would have overturned both goal line calls on that single play. (1) the fumble, (2) turnover on downs.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, dan in daytona said:

Was that the year the 'Canes got robbed under the gaze of Touchdown Jesus up there ? That was no fumble at the goal line, and it also should have been 1st and goal. The local black and white striper's were the criminals that day. Miami went on and destroyed undefeated #3 Texas at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. (an ESPN 30/30 was all over the game) That was a great Miami team !  Maybe it's best. (IMO)........Today's video replays would have overturned both goal line calls on that single play. (1) the fumble, (2) turnover on downs.

That game happened on New Year's after the 1990 season, which was generally a disappointment for Miami given a loss to BYU in the opener.

2 hours ago, BigBobT said:

If you are talking future pros it’s clearly 2000 Miami or 2013 FSU. Both teams were absolutely loaded. Auburn knew FSUs plays for over a half and still lost. That’s incredible.

Florida 2008 had a TON of NFL guys.   They’d stack up talent wise to anyone besides maybe the Miami teams.

9 hours ago, GrecoRoman said:

Offense:

Defense:

Talent-wise, yes, 2000-01 Miami. Who actually wins the game.....95-96 Huskers. 

1. '95 Nebraska

2. '01 Miami

3. '05 Texas

4. '04 USC

5. '71 Nebraska

6. '18 Clemson

7. '88 Notre Dame

8. '13 FSU

9. '80 Georgia

10. '38 Tennessee

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 954gator said:

Florida 2008 had a TON of NFL guys.   They’d stack up talent wise to anyone besides maybe the Miami teams.

Lol you really think 2008 UF comes anywhere near 2013 FSU or 2000 Miami. Maybe on offense if you give them credit for Cam but defense not even close.

4 hours ago, BigBobT said:

Lol you really think 2008 UF comes anywhere near 2013 FSU or 2000 Miami. Maybe on offense if you give them credit for Cam but defense not even close.

2013 FSU yes, 2000-2001 Miami...no.     I think 2008 FL talent stacks up favorably vs anyone besides those Miami teams. 

QB   Tebow,   Cam Newton

WR   Percy Harvin,  Riley Cooper,  Louis Murphy,  David Nelson,  Deonte Thompson   

TE   Aaron Hernandez,   Cornelius Ingram

RB   Chris Rainey,  Jeff Demps (Skipped NFL to run track for US),    Harvin obviously also ran the ball.

OL    Maurkice Pouncy,  Mike Pouncy,  Marcus Gilbert,  Maurice Hurt   

DE  Carlos Dunlap,   Jermaine Cunningham,   Justin Trattou

DT  Jaye Howard

LB  Brandon Spikes

CB  Janoris Jenkins,  Joe Haden

S   Major Wright,  Ahmad Black, Will Hill  

All these guys played in the NFL save TE Ingram who was injured in preseason and never recovered,  and Demps who went to run for the US.       Their WRs have 11,610 yds rec and 75 TDs in the league (all 5 have at least 1k yards),   11 pro Bowls combined between their Oline,    Their Secondary has 58 ints with 13 pick 6s (also all have at least 2 ints in the league),    Carlos Dunlap has 73.5 sacks and is #12 on the active sack leaders list (also has 18 FF).     Not even going to discuss Tebow, Newton, and Hernandez because I think most know their stories.   

Another thing is these guys all were a part of the 2008 team and contributed.   Newton is  really the only one that was not playing due to being a reserve and I think CI got hurt early season.     These guys were all on the field for 2008 FL.       

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GrecoRoman said:

Offense:

Defense:

We went over this last year. My thoughts haven’t changed. 

Usually a fun discussion though.