No. 1 Mater Dei defeats No. 2 SJB 38-24

ATLien12x

Super pumped for this game tonight obviously like everyone else. Starting a game thread because if not some bum that can’t update the title/score will and that’s the last thing we need. 

Game is at 7:30pt/10:30 eastern on Fox Sports West or Fox Sports Prime Ticket

Im picking Mater Dei because they have an Alabama commit duh. Who y’all taking and why? 

5D20D12E-5C09-44D8-8B47-3A4B10D5E6D5.jpeg

• Like 5

I think its going to be much closer than people think.

SJB's receiving core is really really good and going to give MD secondary some trouble. I see a sloppy 1 qrt with rivalry atmosphere and penalties, but after that the offenses will roll. Bryce Young will be the difference maker, just like he is in every big game.

38-35 MD

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I think this game comes down to the line play, schemes and ability to play disciplined. The biggest difference between the two games last year was MD's ability to pressure DJ. In the first game, DJ faced very little pressure and SJB shredded the MD secondary. In the second game MD was much more aggressive in pressuring DJ and they were able to shut down the offense for the most part. Similarly, SJB did a pretty good job of "containing" BY. After watching BY this year, he's definitely better than last year and it will be a challenge for SJB to contain him in the way they did last year. I do think Negro and SJB have been playing fairly vanilla schemes on defense and that they will show a couple of wrinkles (like they did in the 2016 when they dropped 8 and rushed 3 pretty much every down against JT Daniels).

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Extremely Humble said:

Mater Dei by multiple TD's. 

Why? 

SJB struggled with Servite...

SJB struggled with JSerra last year then embarrassed MD in their game first meeting. Servite exploited some matchups on the outside and Bosco got hosed on a few calls. It happens. All that doesn't matter now. I think MD wins but I expect it to be close. MD by 7.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dntn31 said:

I think this game comes down to the line play, schemes and ability to play disciplined. The biggest difference between the two games last year was MD's ability to pressure DJ. In the first game, DJ faced very little pressure and SJB shredded the MD secondary. In the second game MD was much more aggressive in pressuring DJ and they were able to shut down the offense for the most part. Similarly, SJB did a pretty good job of "containing" BY. After watching BY this year, he's definitely better than last year and it will be a challenge for SJB to contain him in the way they did last year. I do think Negro and SJB have been playing fairly vanilla schemes on defense and that they will show a couple of wrinkles (like they did in the 2016 when they dropped 8 and rushed 3 pretty much every down against JT Daniels).

Agreed. Just don’t think there’s a wrinkle Bryce hasn’t seen at this level. 2016 Daniels looked lost on the field, Bosco had him seeing ghosts. Next year he was much more polished and prepared. Bosco has to get the ball out quick this year I expect a lot of that tonight. I think both teams have better receivers than the other team has db’s so I think whoever takes advantage of that more and controls los wins this game. 

• Like 1

Given that these teams are likely going to meet again in only 4 weeks for much bigger stakes, I expect both to play pretty conservatively.    I think it will be fairly low scoring like the playoff game last year.  

If one team does decide to push hard on the gas pedal i think it will be Mater Dei. 

I’m going with the Monarchs by 7.  Maybe 31-24.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Given that these teams are likely going to meet again in only 4 weeks for much bigger stakes, I expect both to play pretty conservatively.

I don’t know the programs well to speak in absolute but that’s beyond silly. These kids are on the biggest stage playing for an undefeated season, a national championship, and bragging rights over their rival for the next 45 days. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ATLien12x said:

I don’t know the programs well to speak in absolute but that’s beyond silly. These kids are on the biggest stage playing for an undefeated season, a national championship, and bragging rights over their rival for the next 45 days. 

I agree with this, but at the same time I can't stop from thinking how much might have been different last year if SJB didn't win that first game 41-18. /shrug

• Thanks 1

First @ATLien12x thanks for setting up the thread.  Too big a game for amateur hour on the subject line.

I am sure someone has mentioned this already somewhere, but one big reason I'm looking forward to this is that this is not only arguably the two top teams (from the same league) in the country, but also arguably the two top QB prospects -- Each going to not so arguably the two top college programs in the country.  Clemson recruit vs Alabama recruit.    Great stuff - Gonna have to work on my superlatives game between now and kick-off.

A couple weeks ago, I thought Williams for MD was out.  Is he back?

• Thanks 1

This is the first year where IMO there is not a clear definition between the two teams. Most seasons past... this game has been a blowout for the most part with each taking turns. This rivalry while not historically deep, now exceeds any that either school has had, including MD / Servite. The emotions will play a big factor in this one and that is where MD can get beat.

MD has two weaknesses IMO.... Their penchant for stupid penalties and adjusting to an uptempo game. If they are disciplined and stay smart ( keeping emotions in check and not reacting to smack talk ) they should win in a track meet. If not... they will lose.

SJB on the other hand has been floating in MD's shadow all season and they know it. That is the "it factor" pushing their emotions above normal for this one.. which is their edge.

I have attended most of their games for the past 6 years which tells me that in this one.. there is no clear favorite. It will get down to who is smarter and can focus their energy on hitting hard and not stupid stuff.

SJB can match MD athlete for athlete so it will get down to what I said above.

The only other factor IMO that may sway this game is MD's special teams. Their kicking game is almost as impressive as their offense.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

51 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

This is the first year where IMO there is not a clear definition between the two teams. Most seasons past... this game has been a blowout for the most part with each taking turns. This rivalry while not historically deep, now exceeds any that either school has had, including MD / Servite. The emotions will play a big factor in this one and that is where MD can get beat.

MD has two weaknesses IMO.... Their penchant for stupid penalties and adjusting to an uptempo game. If they are disciplined and stay smart ( keeping emotions in check and not reacting to smack talk ) they should win in a track meet. If not... they will lose.

SJB on the other hand has been floating in MD's shadow all season and they know it. That is the "it factor" pushing their emotions above normal for this one.. which is their edge.

I have attended most of their games for the past 6 years which tells me that in this one.. there is no clear favorite. It will get down to who is smarter and can focus their energy on hitting hard and not stupid stuff.

SJB can match MD athlete for athlete so it will get down to what I said above.

The only other factor IMO that may sway this game is MD's special teams. Their kicking game is almost as impressive as their offense.

Good analysis except for the part about the rivalry exceeding the MD Servite rivalry.  It does not.  The former rivalry is generational.

SJB = DLS as far as The Stache is concerned and those games are a Tier down from Servite.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Good analysis except for the part about the rivalry exceeding the MD Servite rivalry.  It does not.  The former rivalry is generational.

SJB = DLS as far as The Stache is concerned and those games are a Tier down from Servite.  

Probably depends on who you ask. For Rollo and the alumni it's Servite. For the kids, it's SJB.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

IDK.  Well have to see how chippy the game gets.  

Probably not fair to compare it to the chippiness of the Servite game. MD knew they could get away with 150+ yards of penalties and still win. Unlikely to have that same luxury tonight. Also, if I remember, it seems like the Servite guys were the primary instigators in the MD/Servite game.