2019 MaxPreps MNC Down to 2 Teams

dntn31

2 hours ago, Texasfrog said:

IMG might be one of those hot flash in the pans that hung around a few years but the shine is starting to get tarnished some.

Well, the school has been there for years — my brother in law went there as a tennis player (would have graduated with Agassi and courier but went back normal for Sr year — was known as Bolletari Tennis Academy) 

and, they’ve certainly made capital investments for the long term 

but I’d be pleased if you’re right 

9 hours ago, Texasfrog said:

IMG might be one of those hot flash in the pans that hung around a few years but the shine is starting to get tarnished some.

IMG has been around for many years. It’s only more recently that football has become prominent. They also have nationally elite baseball and basketball. Probably other sports that I just don’t follow. Then there is the sport that made IMG famous which is tennis. So the football team could potentially take a step back but IMG as a whole isn’t going anywhere.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

2019 Lowndes will be the National Champions

Their last 6 games could potentially be...

vs. Colquitt Co.

1st Rd: North Cobb

2nd Rd: Brookwood/Norcross/West Forsyth/South Forsyth

Quarters: Grayson

Semis: McEachern/North Gwinnett

Finals: Colquitt/Marietta/Hillgrove

Good to see you still have jokes lol

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TigerHat said:

So even if Katy goes 16-0 beating North Shore twice, and beats Duncanville in the state game 35-0 - MaxPreps won't consider them for the MNC. Good to know.

30 minutes ago, The Guru said:

As they shouldn't.

Your overall point is well taken though.

Have to agree with the Guru on this with one caveat 

— if MD wins out, there’s no reason to consider anyone else even though Katy would have a resume that would be very impressive 

there is a tier of teams now that are simply at a different level of play than what was the former national elite level — I refer to them as the academies; I know some people just separate as publics/ privates but this is less than 1% of privates (and there are some public pseudo academies)

further hurting Katy’s candidacy is that these academies now regularly travel over the country to play each other.  To best of my hsfb knowledge, DLS played in 1st ever National #1 vs #2 game in 2001 and I think the next couple were STA vs Byrnes in ‘09 and then BTW bs MC in ‘13.  As the National #1, MD will play the National #2 THREE TIMES THIS YEAR.  Playing top 10 DLS at the end of the year will have very little drama and I’m sure Md will plan to get their seniors a lot of reps.

if one of THOSE teams, with that sort of interplay, not only goes undefeated, but goes 3-0 vs #2 with none of them close, how could you consider anyone else?

i think (insert undefeated TX 6A champ) only gets included in the future if those guys take each other out.  

3 minutes ago, Pops said:

Have to agree with the Guru on this with one caveat 

— if MD wins out, there’s no reason to consider anyone else even though Katy would have a resume that would be very impressive 

there is a tier of teams now that are simply at a different level of play than what was the former national elite level — I refer to them as the academies; I know some people just separate as publics/ privates but this is less than 1% of privates (and there are some public pseudo academies)

further hurting Katy’s candidacy is that these academies now regularly travel over the country to play each other.  To best of my hsfb knowledge, DLS played in 1st ever National #1 vs #2 game in 2001 and I think the next couple were STA vs Byrnes in ‘09 and then BTW bs MC in ‘13.  As the National #1, MD will play the National #2 THREE TIMES THIS YEAR.  Playing top 10 DLS at the end of the year will have very little drama and I’m sure Md will plan to get their seniors a lot of reps.

if one of THOSE teams, with that sort of interplay, not only goes undefeated, but goes 3-0 vs #2 with none of them close, how could you consider anyone else?

i think (insert undefeated TX 6A champ) only gets included in the future if those guys take each other out.  

MD's strength of schedule should keep them as #1.  To be the NATIONAL champion I think you should play some OOS schools.  However, if Katy were to somehow beat NS by 21 and DV by the same, I think they'd jump ship and put Katy as #1 as they did last year.  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Pops said:

In other words the only team that should control it's own destiny right now is Mater Dei. If they lose then everybody else in the picture should be evaluated fairly.

• Thumbs Down 2

1 minute ago, The Guru said:

In other words the only team that should control it's own destiny right now is Mater Dei. If they lose then everybody else in the picture should be evaluated fairly.

I’m searching for a trap in the question 

answer is yes, I agree 

only potential issue is I don’t think anyone being evaluated “unfairly” today 

do you?  

2 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Katy doesn't need their candidacy to be hurt any further.

This will suffice:

Katy 24, North Shore 21

Katy 35, Tompkins 30

Now you’re just being mean 

But still a fair point 

Tompkins not a bad team, but like SJB vs Servite (probably a similar team to Tompkins), how much to allow for a good team just having an off night vs a rival, vs maybe they’re not that good, vs giving the other team some credit 

hard to Ignore that in a head to head comparison though, when MD consistently blasting top national teams 

could you explain how geico selections are made?  And when?  

30 minutes ago, Texasboys23 said:

MD's strength of schedule should keep them as #1.  To be the NATIONAL champion I think you should play some OOS schools.  However, if Katy were to somehow beat NS by 21 and DV by the same, I think they'd jump ship and put Katy as #1 as they did last year.  

I think that IMG has always had a bit of a drag on their rankings for who/ what they are — iow, give it to anyone else if there is a doubt 

and MD had that happen to them a bit last year with Northshore in some polls 

don’t see that happening again though — unless they leave the door open somewhere along way 

10 minutes ago, Pops said:

I’m searching for a trap in the question 

answer is yes, I agree 

only potential issue is I don’t think anyone being evaluated “unfairly” today 

do you?  

St. John Boscos is given that they have a 14-point loss and have been guaranteed the #1 spot in Maxpreps human poll if they win out.

• Thumbs Down 2

3 minutes ago, Pops said:

I think that IMG has always had a bit of a drag on their rankings for who/ what they are — iow, give it to anyone else if there is a doubt 

and MD had that happen to them a bit last year with Northshore in some polls 

don’t see that happening again though — unless they leave the door open somewhere along way 

IMG didn't deserve national title last year and definitely don't deserve it this year

The only 2 years they have ever had a team worthy of discussion for best team was in 2 years with a team who was clearly better and had better resume and performances

2016 (Bishop Gorman)

2017 (Mater Dei)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Texasball said:

Duncanville

North Shore 

Katy

Allen

Longview / SLC

I haven't seen NS since their opening season debacle against Katy. in your opinion,  how does NS look like now, do they appear that they could run the table and shake up the tiers by winning Texas !  How would you compare them now to DV  ?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Guru said:

St. John Boscos is given that they have a 14-point loss and have been guaranteed the #1 spot in Maxpreps human poll if they win out.

I have agreed with this in a few posts this week 

i think the Servite win is more damning than the MD loss — either are forgivable but that’s two of their last three weeks before the annointment 

28 minutes ago, Pops said:

I have agreed with this in a few posts this week 

i think the Servite win is more damning than the MD loss — either are forgivable but that’s two of their last three weeks before the annointment 

I think the counter-argument is that this scenario is only realized if SJB beats MD, something no other team in the country has been able to do the last 3 years. MD is currently the gold standard by virtue of ending Gorman's streak in 2017, ending IMG's streak in 2018 and ending SFA's streak in 2019.

STA had an opportunity this year to stake their claim, but they opted for DLS. Texas teams either refuse or are incapable of travelling and everyone else took their shot but fell short. Do I think MaxPreps is premature in announcing that it's down to 2 teams? Probably yes, but it's fairly easy to reconcile their logic given recent history as outlined above, close wins (which are still wins) and all.

1 hour ago, dntn31 said:

I think the counter-argument is that this scenario is only realized if SJB beats MD, something no other team in the country has been able to do the last 3 years. MD is currently the gold standard by virtue of ending Gorman's streak in 2017, ending IMG's streak in 2018 and ending SFA's streak in 2019.

STA had an opportunity this year to stake their claim, but they opted for DLS. Texas teams either refuse or are incapable of travelling and everyone else took their shot but fell short. Do I think MaxPreps is premature in announcing that it's down to 2 teams? Probably yes, but it's fairly easy to reconcile their logic given recent history as outlined above, close wins (which are still wins) and all.

Agree 

my comments were about today’s ranking discussion between #2 and #3, which, as you’ve said elsewhere, will become moot one way or another in a month 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalven said:

That's a solid top 5. I think it beats every state 3/5 games.

20 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

NorKalven you are like a grain of sand blowing in the wind.  No roots to your convictions.

Is an interesting assertion

i think CA beats TX in a top 5 round robin by virtue of having two teams that might be 90% vs any opponent 

DLS, CC, and ??? Would likely just need to go 1-2 and that seems likely even if they were dogs in every game — every game would be more win-able than anyone knocking MD or SJB off 

think TX might take everyone else in top 5 — FL would be a good match, as would MD/ DC (if considered one state) and then I think GA only other stars that has a legit shot — maybe NJ or OH next and both would be long odds 

think TX wins a top 10 vs any state much more easily 

edit:  won’t revise, but SJB something less than 90% vs TX top 5s (75%) — attributes MD’s estimate to them