Mater Dei (CA) vs. IMG Academy (FL) 2018

SeaShells21

23 hours ago, Kalven said:

I have to disagree. MD and SJB has shown to be stalemates the past 2 years. IMG in 2018 would've gave SJB just as much problem as they gave MD. No one is flat out better than the 2018 IMG squad. Even after the lost I said IMG in 2018 would be favorite against any team in the country on a neutral site.

I still think the best IMG team I've seen play was the one with Kellen Mond at QB.    Kid might not be a great college QB but with the Oline at IMG he was tough to stop.  

11 hours ago, World Citizen said:

I apologize for the cheating comment.  They certainly are under the microscope and any cheating would be caught quickly.  They do stretch the rules to their limits imo.   

As for your last paragraph, I disagree.  DLS players do not come from all over NorCal and usually the best players play elsewhere.  The willingness to adhere to the rules about transfers and sports related moves seems to be taken more seriously in the NorCal than Socal, at least as far as DLS and SJB/MD-rest of Trinity.  And yes the population advantage goes to SoCal and it's not even close.  

I also have no doubt that if DLS were to accept transfers from all over NorCal and they were the best players, with DLS system, SoCal would go back to winning an occasional Open.  

I love it when people claim DLS gets all the best players in NorCal.  Heck they don't even get the best in the East Bay.  A loaded DLS squad will have 4 maybe 5 rated players.  Teams like Pitt have way more than that yearly.  This year DLS has I think 2 with the highest being a 3 or 4 star.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 954gator said:

Lol MD was VERY fortunate to get that win vs IMG at home.   

A dub is a dub. First team to beat IMG  Watch Bryce work IMG on that last drive 🔥 #Earned

IMG had the lead with 3 mins to go & MD went 75 yards on that star studded defense when it mattered. Actually left some time on the clock after the TD & gave IMG another chance to win🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

A dub is a dub. First team to beat IMG  Watch Bryce work IMG on that last drive 🔥 #Earned

IMG had the lead with 3 mins to go & MD went 75 yards on that star studded defense when it mattered. Actually left some time on the clock after the TD & gave IMG another chance to win🤷‍♂️

The scary part is that BY made leaps and bounds improvements from his Junior to his Senior year.  Excited to see how much better he will be as a true freshman starter for bama. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HurricaneNick said:

No doubt a W is a W, but the whole SJB being much better than IMG etc etc is a bit much.

I don't want to keep bringing up the whole ejections thing, but that last drive had a few kids playing on D for IMG that had no business being there.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AztecPadre said:

The scary part is that BY made leaps and bounds improvements from his Junior to his Senior year.  Excited to see how much better he will be as a true freshman starter for bama. 

Agreed he didn't look that great in 2018.   In 2019 he was out of this world.   

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 954gator said:

No doubt a W is a W, but the whole SJB being much better than IMG etc etc is a bit much.

I don't want to keep bringing up the whole ejections thing, but that last drive had a few kids playing on D for IMG that had no business being there.    

That's  a big downside to IMG type programs..  They don't develop thier "2's" because they only have $ to recruit in "1's".

I am sure The Stache had some "2's" playing in that game and both the SJB games.

27 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

That's  a big downside to IMG type programs..  They don't develop thier "2's" because they only have $ to recruit in "1's".

I am sure The Stache had some "2's" playing in that game and both the SJB games.

Most definitely.   They have depth at the LOS and RB position but not the same depth overall as some others.  Not as many underclassmen Etc. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Most definitely.   They have depth at the LOS and RB position but not the same depth overall as some others.  Not as many underclassmen Etc. 

So basically that is not an excuse.  It was their own fault for not planning for adequate backups in case of injury, suspension, low grades, or other things all teams have to deal with

3 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

I love it when people claim DLS gets all the best players in NorCal.  Heck they don't even get the best in the East Bay.  A loaded DLS squad will have 4 maybe 5 rated players.  Teams like Pitt have way more than that yearly.  This year DLS has I think 2 with the highest being a 3 or 4 star.  

True.  If DLS adopted the same strategy as those super teams down south, they might lose 1 every 5 years or so.  I'm not sure why some think that DLS gets the best players in NorCal but something has to explain why they have been so good for so long I guess and it makes them feel better about what they are doing.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sammyswordsman said:

So basically that is not an excuse.  It was their own fault for not planning for adequate backups in case of injury, suspension, low grades, or other things all teams have to deal with

The kids didn’t get injured they got ejected and they were very questionable decisions by the zebras.   It’s not an excuse, but that last “perfect” drive was basically MD picking on those two weaknesses.   My original point was to disagree with the idea SJB was CLEARLY better than IMG based off of MD’s “dominant” win (which was obviously not dominant at all)

3 minutes ago, 954gator said:

The kids didn’t get injured they got ejected and they were very questionable decisions by the zebras.   It’s not an excuse, but that last “perfect” drive was basically MD picking on those two weaknesses.   My original point was to disagree with the idea SJB was CLEARLY better than IMG based off of MD’s “dominant” win (which was obviously not dominant at all)

The calls were consistent with High school rules.  IMG got frustrated and lost their poise (another reason they lost) in addition to not having a 2 minute drill .   They still had plenty of time to respond but ran lame plays. (poorly/lazily coached, cuz they never trail).

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

The calls were consistent with High school rules.  IMG got frustrated and lost their poise (another reason they lost) in addition to not having a 2 minute drill .   They still had plenty of time to respond but ran lame plays. (poorly/lazily coached, cuz they never trail).

I swear you're pops' alter ego.  Calls were trash. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I swear you're pops' alter ego.  Calls were trash. 

Agree those calls weren’t great.

But MD also got screwed on the onside kick call, in which I believe Trey Sanders had a 70yd run a few plays later that made it 14-14. It clearly passed 10yds on the TV replay. MD had a ton of momentum at that point and going up 21-7 changes the game big time.

people choose to forget that play 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, World Citizen said:

I apologize for the cheating comment.  They certainly are under the microscope and any cheating would be caught quickly.  They do stretch the rules to their limits imo.   

As for your last paragraph, I disagree.  DLS players do not come from all over NorCal and usually the best players play elsewhere.  The willingness to adhere to the rules about transfers and sports related moves seems to be taken more seriously in the NorCal than Socal, at least as far as DLS and SJB/MD-rest of Trinity.  And yes the population advantage goes to SoCal and it's not even close.  

I also have no doubt that if DLS were to accept transfers from all over NorCal and they were the best players, with DLS system, SoCal would go back to winning an occasional Open.  

DJ - Sacramento

TK (RIP) - Richmond

Terron Ward - SF

Taylor - SF

Amani Toomer - Berkeley

MJD - Oakland

Loverne - San Jo

Asiasi - San Mateo

Boss - Daly City

Atari - San Leandro

To'o To'o - Sacramento

Shall I go on?  That's all over NorCal.

And did you not read my post in the first place?  There are five(!) national caliber (football) parochial schools in OC alone (MD, Servite, OLu, SM and JSerra - all of which have been national top 25 in the past 10 years), not to mention SJB, Oaks, Alemany, Amat, Gardena Serra, Chaminade - with SJB (every damn year), Oaks, Amat and Serra being in the national top 25 the past decade.  The only NorCal school - parochial or otherwise - that has cracked the national top 25 in the past 30 years is DLS (other than Folsom and Grant, 90 miles away).  And the above are just the parochial schools in SoCal that are national contenders.  Cen10 is a perennial national top 25 and MV often is at some point in the season.  Poly and Narbonne have cracked the top 25 in the past decade.  Who in NorCal besides DLS has cracked the national top 25?  No one. Not Pitt, not Serra, not VC, not Liberty, not CV Charter.  None of them.  The point?  SoCal talent is VERY spread out; much more so than the Bay.  Especially the million-person county where DLS is the ONLY D1 football power.  

2 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Come to think of it, I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a fla HS team effectively run a scripted two minute Offense 

Hmmm I guess in most of the games you've watched they weren't needed.    IMG isn't a Fl school anyways that QB was from Cali.  

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2020 at 10:59 AM, HurricaneNick said:

NS is sending sixteen (16)seniors to go play college ball this year^. MD is sending six (6) BY, Murao, Kobah, Kody, Martin, & Marks. 

NS had  10 more College bound kids then MD and still weren’t The better team???

#texashasbadcoaching

5981C123-A736-4516-B0B7-DAC59504C298.gif.8d8bf5bbf3546de8dde3b521dc23b961.gif

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

It was a great game...Bru is a dog and like I said at the time, he is on par with greatest 2 way player in MD history...BY is the 🐐 and Rollo/EY/Money are the best coaches in the nation and proved it that night...

Don’t get carried away with yourself.   MD had a nice run, then choked (reverted back to normal)

On 5/14/2020 at 6:40 PM, old_e said:

I thought Corona Centennial had SFA on their schedule. I believe they are in Cali.

Assuming we have a season, Corona Centennial’s out of league schedule is very solid.  Not many programs can top it. If you factor in Centennial will likely face Mater Dei again in the playoffs, as well as St. John Bosco, that schedule is one of the best in CA and the country.

image.jpeg.d78460a74e591f3be837bfbd7ab945e9.jpeg

• Like 1