Was once the most feared noise in High School football

Ga96

9 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

The most feared noise in high school football used to be....

One of the stories I like to tell is how, a year or so after graduation,  I met a couple of guys who had played for Piedmont, who we had crushed.  They mentioned that their sidelines immediate reaction to the sound of our special teams players hitting their thigh pads, in unison, right before the kick off was "ohhhhh shit, here it comes".

I think the final score was 54-0 or something like that.

13 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

The most feared noise in high school football used to be....

....Coach Ace Little saying..."you want us to get the gloves?"

Now there's you some Sunday morning Gospel.....

Rufus>>

Uh that’s funny. For you personally it was when Dave at Mackey said we got those Hawgs tonight!!

33 minutes ago, Fred said:

I didn't think much of it when we were there.  It clearly didn't cause our team any issues.

At one time it was very intimidating. Over the past decade or so, it became more bark than bite so the intimidation factor faded. 

It will probably get back to being a bit more intimidating in the future with the current coach. 

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

At one time it was very intimidating. Over the past decade or so, it became more bark than bite so the intimidation factor faded. 

It will probably get back to being a bit more intimidating in the future with the current coach. 

It definitely bit last year though. That 50-49 has to leave a bad taste in Colquitt's mouth, especially getting beat on a fake extra point. That missed field goal at the end didn't help either. I gotta admit, there was a lot of celebration in our stands up at North Gwinnett when that result was announced. We've had our fair share of upsets too. In 2014, when I was just entering middle school, my mom took me to my first ever high school football game, which was North Gwinnett vs. North Cobb. We were the second-ranked team in the state after beating McEachern (1st ranked) on a fake spike the week earlier. And we lost. Upset at home, 36-29. I was so disappointed, especially that being my first ever high school game. And then we know about 2017, which totally made up for that.

14 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

It definitely bit last year though. That 50-49 has to leave a bad taste in Colquitt's mouth, especially getting beat on a fake extra point. That missed field goal at the end didn't help either. I gotta admit, there was a lot of celebration in our stands up at North Gwinnett when that result was announced. We've had our fair share of upsets too. In 2014, when I was just entering middle school, my mom took me to my first ever high school football game, which was North Gwinnett vs. North Cobb. We were the second-ranked team in the state after beating McEachern (1st ranked) on a fake spike the week earlier. And we lost. Upset at home, 36-29. I was so disappointed, especially that being my first ever high school game. And then we know about 2017, which totally made up for that.

That banging on the roof ahead of the game didn't instill the fear that it once did though. 

I can't say what reaction the young bucks on the team may have had to it though. I know my first time there (mid 80s) we were waiting to see what kind of monster was about to emerge from that tunnel. xD

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

2010 when we heard it, it didn't mean much although the team was supposed to be highly rates.  We shut them out at home in the playoffs, something no other team has done to them.

• Like 1