The greatest exercise in futility in history is occurring right now..

badrouter

19 hours ago, World Citizen said:

I don't have any problem admitting that there were smart Nazis as ideology doesn't speak to whether a person is intelligent or not.  People murdering children doesn't speak to them being smart or not either.  Concerning morality, IMO, one can be smart or dumb or both.

I'm not sure what falling under a spell actually means.  I'm guessing it may mean being in a cult.  I suppose smart people have found themselves being drawn in to a cult but eventually they begin to question things and may even want to leave the cult.  Those who just believe without thinking, like we have today with those who believe Trump over all evidence to the contrary, I think they are acting very dumb even though they can read  and write.  

[...]

I mean when people become so convinced of the truth of a theory that they reject ordinary facts that count against it and grow to hate those who disagree and are willing to do horrible things to other people to support it.  

59 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

No, I didn't.

@World Citizen claimed that the Trump supporters on this forum were dumb. 

I claimed that they weren't dumb but under the spell of an ideology, which can happen to even very smart people. I appealed to Nazis as example to support the claim. 

The fact that appeals to Leninists or Stalinists or Maoists would work just as well but wouldn't imply that Trump supporters were Nazis should be all the evidence you need to grasp that what I said carries no such implication, unless you think a person could be a fascist and a Communist at the same time.

I can't tell whether your reply counts in favor of @World Citizen's claim or mine. 

I guess it's interesting that you chose the nazis from among the literally dozens of other potential examples with which to try and make your point.

I suppose it's possible that you may have just chosen them randomly, without thought as to the implication you were clearly making with the comparison. We can only take you at your word as to your intent, as only you actually know that...but the fact remains that the implication was clear in the end. 

45 minutes ago, RedZone said:

..probably looking for fishing tips. lol

Learn how to not suck at fishing so as to not need to spend money on a fish finder. 

You're welcome. 🤣

42 minutes ago, RedZone said:

On a serious note.

It might just be because you are one of those guys who is everywhere and nowhere at the same time. lol

Seems like a dumb reason to follow someone around like a weirdo, but okay. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

Idiots like Bormio and zulu128 see the word Nazi and then they just pounce without actually reading or understanding at all what was said.

Don't be a Bidiot...🤪

the convo is with a person (WC) who runs around calling everyone a nazi...

and it's VERY easy to see how what was posted could be taken, whether the author intended or not...

Always looking to toss turds, when you could have just said thanks for clarifying 🙄

3 hours ago, zulu1128 said:

I guess it's interesting that you chose the nazis from among the literally dozens of other potential examples with which to try and make your point.

I suppose it's possible that you may have just chosen them randomly, without thought as to the implication you were clearly making with the comparison. We can only take you at your word as to your intent, as only you actually know that...but the fact remains that the implication was clear in the end. 

My example is neither interesting nor chosen at random. I chose it because it's a well-known case and a particularly strong  example of the phenomenon. 

What's interesting is that you want to go one more time around on the retarded carousel. So, let's do that.

The implication could only exist in one of two places, either in my head as an intention (which is private) or in the semantic content of what I wrote (which is public). But you yourself say that you can't know my intent.

And since you also say that I could have chosen dozens of other examples to make the very same point, we know that the semantic content of what I wrote doesn't imply it, either. 

So, by your own comments, you should be able to work out for yourself the irony of saying that "the implication was clear in the end."

As a matter of fact, the implication doesn't exist. 

You're either making @World Citizen's point, or mine. Take your pick. 

46 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

My example is neither interesting nor chosen at random. I chose it because it's a well-known case and a particularly strong  example of the phenomenon. 

One of many, as stated. What's interesting is that you chose the nazis, when there are many just as suitable examples that don't carry the same connotation. 

What's interesting is that you want to go one more time around on the retarded carousel. So, let's do that.

Sounds like a bad idea on your part, but I'm game if you are lol. 

The implication could only exist in one of two places, either in my head as an intention (which is private) or in the semantic content of what I wrote (which is public). But you yourself say that you can't know my intent.

Not really. While it's true that we don't know for a fact whether you think Drumpf supporters are nazis, (and FWIW it's fine if you do) the fact that you chose to compare them as such creates the implication by default. That's kinda the definition of "implication." 

And since you also say that I could have chosen dozens of other examples to make the very same point, we know that the semantic content of what I wrote doesn't imply it, either. 

See above. The semantic content isn't really relevant to there being an implication. The fact that you chose the term creates the implication in and of itself. That's how the definition works. 🤷‍♂️

So, by your own comments, you should be able to work out for yourself the irony of saying that "the implication was clear in the end."

It was quite clear, in fact. Weird that you're choosing to try and spin your way out of it, when a simple statement along the lines of "I didn't intend to imply that Drumpf supporters were nazis" would clear things up much more effectively than doubling down on the debunked "there was no implication" schtick. 🤷‍♂️

As a matter of fact, the implication doesn't exist. 

No, it definitely exists...again it's really not disputable.  The only remaining question is whether it was intentional. 

You're either making @World Citizen's point, or mine. Take your pick. 

Clearly it's neither.  I'm afraid you've only succeeded in confusing yourself.  Hopefully sending out the bat signal to WC to come and assist you provides some relief lol. 

Carry on. 

39 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

One of many, as stated. What's interesting is that you chose the nazis, when there are many just as suitable examples that don't carry the same connotation. 

Sounds like a bad idea on your part, but I'm game if you are lol. 

Not really. While it's true that we don't know for a fact whether you think Drumpf supporters are nazis, (and FWIW it's fine if you do) the fact that you chose to compare them as such creates the implication by default. That's kinda the definition of "implication." 

See above. The semantic content isn't really relevant to there being an implication. The fact that you chose the term creates the implication in and of itself. That's how the definition works. 🤷‍♂️

It was quite clear, in fact. Weird that you're choosing to try and spin your way out of it, when a simple statement along the lines of "I didn't intend to imply that Drumpf supporters were nazis" would clear things up much more effectively than doubling down on the debunked "there was no implication" schtick. 🤷‍♂️

No, it definitely exists...again it's really not disputable.  The only remaining question is whether it was intentional. 

Clearly it's neither.  I'm afraid you've only succeeded in confusing yourself.  Hopefully sending out the bat signal to WC to come and assist you provides some relief lol. 

Carry on. 

...maximum effort noted. 👍

2 hours ago, zulu1128 said:

[...]

Carry on. 

Wow, I've never seen you try so hard. 

Did you really mean to say this? "While it's true that we don't know for a fact whether you think Drumpf supporters are nazis, (and FWIW it's fine if you do) the fact that you chose to compare them as such creates the implication by default. That's kinda the definition of "implication.""

On your definition of "implication," to draw a comparison between Communists and Nazis as such is to imply that Communists are Nazis by default, which is a rather implausible implication of your definition. And since we evaluate propositions by evaluating their logical implications -- think about modus tollens in logic or indirect proof in mathematics -- we'd want to reject your definition out of hand. 

It sounds like you're confused about implications, which might explain why you're having so much trouble. 

25 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Wow, I've never seen you try so hard. 

It's really not that hard. As I said, I doubt this place will ever require me to expend serious effort. 🤷‍♂️

Did you really mean to say this? "While it's true that we don't know for a fact whether you think Drumpf supporters are nazis, (and FWIW it's fine if you do) the fact that you chose to compare them as such creates the implication by default. That's kinda the definition of "implication.""

On your definition of "implication," to draw a comparison between Communists and Nazis as such is to imply that Communists are Nazis by default, which is a rather implausible implication of your definition. And since we evaluate propositions by evaluating their logical implications -- think about modus tollens in logic or indirect proof in mathematics -- we'd want to reject your definition out of hand. 

LOL...well, since nazis and communists are rarely if ever compared (whereas the other is a defacto go-to for those who hate Drumpf because whatever...which I'm sure you know makes throwing down the term modus tollens little more than embarrassing obfuscation), it seems like you're just talking in circles here to avoid addressing your accidental implication of such. 

It sounds like you're confused about implications, which might explain why you're having so much trouble. 

I'm not having trouble lol.

That said, it's fun to watch you actually expending maximum effort to wierdly avoid having to type the simple sentence  "I didn't mean to imply that Drumpf supporters were Nazis." (Again giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that wasn't your intent...this despite your well-established history of comments here toward both Drumpf and those who support him.) 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Not yet. It's major purchase.

A little different than buying some bobbers. If I need some help with those, I'll get witcha...

Again, it’s easier to just learn how to not suck at fishing. Why not save your money for something useful, like a gym membership or some home workout videos? 😂

Hope this helps. 

1 hour ago, zulu1128 said:

[...]

I'm not having trouble lol.

What do you call it then? Look at what you just wrote.

"LOL...well, since nazis and communists are rarely if ever compared (whereas the other is a defacto go-to for those who hate Drumpf because whatever...which I'm sure you know makes throwing down the term modus tollens little more than embarrassing obfuscation), it seems like you're just talking in circles here to avoid addressing your accidental implication of such."

That's not English. Did you really want to write, "your accidental implication of such"?

15 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

What do you call it then? Look at what you just wrote.

"LOL...well, since nazis and communists are rarely if ever compared (whereas the other is a defacto go-to for those who hate Drumpf because whatever...which I'm sure you know makes throwing down the term modus tollens little more than embarrassing obfuscation), it seems like you're just talking in circles here to avoid addressing your accidental implication of such."

That's not English. Did you really want to write, "your accidental implication of such"?

It’s perfect English lol. 

You really are confused. My god. 😂