RIP Dick Butkus

Cossacks

11 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

I always tried to model my play after Butkus and Bill Romanowski. Butkus probably by favorite player of all time. Will miss #51.

Bill Romanowski might be the biggest trash human in all of sports. Plus he is racist.  Steriod abuser and is flat broke now could not have happened to more deserving scum bag. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

I always tried to model my play after Butkus and Bill Romanowski. Butkus probably by favorite player of all time. Will miss #51.

Also my all time favorite player. He once said he always wanted to hit the QBs and RBs so hard that they would know who hit them without without even looking. My style of play was modeled after Butkus too, but unfortunately, I was only a 165 pound slotback. I just couldn't gain weight so no MLB play for me. Now that I don't want the weight, I'm 260 lbs. Life just ain't fair!

RIP with the Lord, Dick, and thanks for the memories. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Slotback Right said:

Also my all time favorite player. He once said he always wanted to hit the QBs and RBs so hard that they would know who hit them without without even looking. My style of play was modeled after Butkus too, but unfortunately, I was only a 165 pound slotback. I just couldn't gain weight so no MLB play for me. Now that I don't want the weight, I'm 260 lbs. Life just ain't fair!

I’m wondering why the Bears organization waited so long to honor Butkus and Sayers, retire their numbers and honor 2 legends on the same day?  

• Like 1

https://x.com/kevg163/status/1710278749659218095?s=46&t=Ub_4ZB--blmAW22AUOdwqQ

Longer vids, some duplicated but worth it for the interviewees and Dick’s physical prowess (Maybe I’ll edit to Butkus 😂).  Nah. :) 

Deacon Jones was interviewed… a mean, physical and talented player.  Plus, he helped Peter Brady with football and singing. :) 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Oh please. Candy ass

Was also called the worst teammate by most who played with him.

But the worst example of why Romanowski was a bad teammate was in 2003, when he injured his own teammate Marcus Williams of the Oakland Raiders.

Romanowski attacked and injured Williams during a scrimmage. Williams, who was a backup tight end, was forced to retire after Romanowski confronted Williams after a play, ripped off his helmet, and crushed his eye socket with one punch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, HooverOutlaw said:

Was also called the worst teammate by most who played with him.

But the worst example of why Romanowski was a bad teammate was in 2003, when he injured his own teammate Marcus Williams of the Oakland Raiders.

Romanowski attacked and injured Williams during a scrimmage. Williams, who was a backup tight end, was forced to retire after Romanowski confronted Williams after a play, ripped off his helmet, and crushed his eye socket with one punch.

Boo fucking hoo

2 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

He was a legend and will be missed! 

My childhood idol (along with Roger Staubach) need one on offense and one on defense...right? I stole a book on him from the local library when I was a kid. It had a bunch of nice black and white picture of him in action. I have one of the pictures framed and  on the wall in my office today. I also have a x-mass tree ornament of him. I played MLB since I was 7 to college and I tried to be as mean and tough as him at all times when playing. There was no one close to how tough a guy he was...everyone else is a distant second...R.I.P. Dick....😪

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Never watched the show, but Butkus starred in a sitcom years back.  Had to google the name, called Hang Time.   

...and that's my queue.

NBC Saturday morning show during the post-Saved By the Bell era. High school basketball show where it was obvious that they were playing on 8-foot rims and where the perception was that blue-blood college basketball programs like Duke were handing out scholarships like candy.

Butkus came in during the third or so season as the head coach of the Deering Tornadoes, replacing Reggie Theus. Notable for jump-starting the careers of Anthony Anderson and Jay Hernandez (the lead in CBS' Magnum PI revival) and a slew of 90s NBA cameos (off the top of my head I remember Kobe, Damon Stoudemire, and Ced Ceballos making appearances as themselves). Central plotline was girl moves to town that doesn't have a girls' basketball team and joins the boys' team.

What most forget about Butkus' football legacy is his role as the captain of the greatest team the Texas penal system has ever produced:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

...and that's my queue.

NBC Saturday morning show during the post-Saved By the Bell era. High school basketball show where it was obvious that they were playing on 8-foot rims and where the perception was that blue-blood college basketball programs like Duke were handing out scholarships like candy.

Butkus came in during the third or so season as the head coach of the Deering Tornadoes, replacing Reggie Theus. Notable for jump-starting the careers of Anthony Anderson and Jay Hernandez (the lead in CBS' Magnum PI revival) and a slew of 90s NBA cameos (off the top of my head I remember Kobe, Damon Stoudemire, and Ced Ceballos making appearances as themselves). Central plotline was girl moves to town that doesn't have a girls' basketball team and joins the boys' team.

What most forget about Butkus' football legacy is his role as the captain of the greatest team the Texas penal system has ever produced:

👍🏻

Ok gotta try naming these guys.  When I stopped I noticed Ben Davidson, Jim Kelly, Roger Craig and dang it.  Forgot already.  😂 I’ll keep adding.  Let me know how I did.  :) 

Can’t make out first guy off the bus.  The second guy Randy White?  Guy after shit, this isn’t easy.  Not Harvey Martin, I think that’s Ed too tall Jones. 

I see Sinbad.  😂  Herschel of course.  That was name I forgot above.  That’s all I noticed.