CIF takes big step in eliminating games against some sports academies and prep schools

Rcmore

Welcome to the forum. 

Sondheimer has the stay together as a team rah rah in this article, but in the past he has often written about the transfer epidemic in SoCal and its effect in a negative way.   Rather than compare a Mater Dei to IMG Academy, Sondheimer chose to Kiss the CIF's ass and label IMG as 

Image result for Dr evil

In due time before the season starts, Sondheimer will likely address the transfer epidemic in SoCal as in the past and have negative comments about the CIF and powerhouse schools enhanced with transfers.

Summary:  Sondheimer should have grown a pair and dissected Mater Dei's roster and embarrass the CIF for it's ridiculous position.    He had one job.   He could have used basketball as an example quite easily like he's done in the past.   

https://www.theacorn.com/articles/oaks-christian-plans-to-build-dorms/   

Last thought, in the future how many of the 150 students living on campus will be student athletes  at Oaks Christian?  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Welcome to the forum. 

Sondheimer has the stay together as a team rah rah in this article, but in the past he has often written about the transfer epidemic in SoCal and its effect in a negative way.   Rather than compare a Mater Dei to IMG Academy, Sondheimer chose to Kiss the CIF's ass and label IMG as 

Image result for Dr evil

In due time before the season starts, Sondheimer will likely address the transfer epidemic in SoCal as in the past and have negative comments about the CIF and powerhouse schools enhanced with transfers.

Summary:  Sondheimer should have grown a pair and dissected Mater Dei's roster and embarrass the CIF for it's ridiculous position.    He had one job.   He could have used basketball as an example quite easily like he's done in the past.   

https://www.theacorn.com/articles/oaks-christian-plans-to-build-dorms/   

Last thought, in the future how many of the 150 students living on campus will be student athletes  at Oaks Christian?  

Your arguement seems to assume that IMG is just like your other examples

i wouldn’t start there — they’re very different.  Arguing on behalf of IMG due to other transgressors is akin to to arguing for the 2nd amendment and your right to personally bear arms by defending your personal mobile nuclear device.  At least half the country may agree with your principles position but everyone will think you’re crazy

57 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

So you think the state athletics  legislature should be able to tell teams who they can or can't play 

It's not a simple.   CIF is a body that represents the interests and desires of it's members.   

Which are all the various public and private high schools in the state of CA.    CIF's ruling here is a reflection of what the schools wanted.    I believe the schools had an opportunity to chime in and vote.

It's the schools that decided who they can and can't play.

15 minutes ago, fballfan said:

It's not a simple.   CIF is a body that represents the interests and desires of it's members.   

Which are all the various public and private high schools in the state of CA.    CIF's ruling here is a reflection of what the schools wanted.    I believe the schools had an opportunity to chime in and vote.

It's the schools that decided who they can and can't play.

But why?

If a individual team don't want to play img no one is forcing them to do so

It doesn't affect anyone, if a team chooses to play them they do so at their own risk and if they aren't playing them then how is it hurting them? 

• Like 1

When IMG beats MD this year - It will be the last time they get game in CA -  I hope!

However, there is not much difference between IMG and What many other private schools do.  MD this year alone will gain the services of several great players in their sad attempt to have the best football team.  These are kids they did not develop and after they win most or all of their games - They will blow smoke up every ones ass about the great program they have and how great the coaching is.  There is zero honor in any of their victories or titles!

who really wants to win like this on the HS level?

1 hour ago, Pops said:

Your arguement seems to assume that IMG is just like your other examples

i wouldn’t start there — they’re very different.  Arguing on behalf of IMG due to other transgressors is akin to to arguing for the 2nd amendment and your right to personally bear arms by defending your personal mobile nuclear device.  At least half the country may agree with your principles position but everyone will think you’re crazy

My comments above couldn't be more crystal clear.   If Sondheimer wants to make IMG (among others in this ruling decision) the big bad wolf, that's fine... but he whiffed in my opinion.   Back in January he set the table quite nicely and effectively (some captions below from the article Iink) with the transfer epidemic in SoCal.   After reading this article, not sure who wouldn't compare Mater Dei to an IMG.  

http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/varsity-times/la-sp-high-schools-transfers-20180111-story.html

Santa Ana Mater Dei is front and center in the movement of athletes.

The school has become the IMG Academy of the West Coast. The Monarchs might as well start academies for football, basketball and other sports for all the transfers. When 2017 ended, the Monarchs had 54 students listed on the Southern Section website as having transferred to the school for the 2017-18 sports seasons.

And now the 15-0 football team that recently claimed a national championship has picked up sophomore quarterback Bryce Young from Los Angeles Cathedral, one of the best players around at his position.  Young joins Sean Dollars, a standout defensive back and running back, and Jeremiah Criddell, a star defensive back and receiver, who have said they are leaving Rancho Cucamonga to play their senior seasons at Mater Dei.Young announced via Twitter, "After much thought and prayer, I have decided to seize the opportunity to compete at the highest level and to set myself up for the next level."

Dollars told the Daily Bulletin that he and Young play on the same seven-on-seven team. "I want to play on the biggest stage possible," he said. "Everyone wants to win a national title and [at Mater Dei] you have the chance to do that."

The CIF retreat was sold to member schools as a way to reduce the growing legal costs associated with challenges to its transfer policies. And guess which school was involved in a key lawsuit that eventually led to CIF changes? Yes, Mater Dei.

Mater Dei is not the only school taking advantage of athletic transfers. * Chatsworth Sierra Canyon has a starting five of transfers in basketball. 

There is one positive in this transfer game. There's no longer a need to whisper in the bleachers or cover up what schools, parents and athletes have been doing for years.  Everyone can now shout, tweet and brag that they're switching schools for sports reasons.  Isn't it great?

* Won the Open championship 

50 minutes ago, Texasball said:

When IMG beats MD this year - It will be the last time they get game in CA -  I hope!

However, there is not much difference between IMG and What many other private schools do.  MD this year alone will gain the services of several great players in their sad attempt to have the best football team.  These are kids they did not develop and after they win most or all of their games - They will blow smoke up every ones ass about the great program they have and how great the coaching is.  There is zero honor in any of their victories or titles!

who really wants to win like this on the HS level?

MD by 2 scores...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheBlockIsHot said:

Move the privates and academies into their own division within the state and let them slug it out. 

Simple. 

The only problem then at the end of the year, the private schools will say their champ is the state champ and the public schools will say their champ is the state champ. So might as well mix the best publics and private schools into one tournament and let them hash it out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Griff said:

The only problem then at the end of the year, the private schools will say their champ is the state champ and the public schools will say their champ is the state champ. So might as well mix the best publics and private schools into one tournament and let them hash it out.

I had a idea like that for FL 

One sec I'll send it to you 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Uek4pLFDB2j6NUUKczheymyAk6kIq5ejqOgZqvqqMcE/edit?usp=drivesdk

Edited by Columbiafan

11 hours ago, Griff said:

Maybe keep them separate and have 1 championship at the end. Public versus private. 

On 4/14/2018 at 12:09 PM, golfaddict1 said:

My comments above couldn't be more crystal clear.   If Sondheimer wants to make IMG (among others in this ruling decision) the big bad wolf, that's fine... but he whiffed in my opinion.   Back in January he set the table quite nicely and effectively (some captions below from the article Iink) with the transfer epidemic in SoCal.   After reading this article, not sure who wouldn't compare Mater Dei to an IMG.  

http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/varsity-times/la-sp-high-schools-transfers-20180111-story.html

The school has become the IMG Academy of the West Coast. The Monarchs might as well start academies for football, basketball and other sports for all the transfers. When 2017 ended, the Monarchs had 54 students listed on the Southern Section website as having transferred to the school for the 2017-18 sports seasons.

And now the 15-0 football team that recently claimed a national championship has picked up sophomore quarterback Bryce Young from Los Angeles Cathedral, one of the best players around at his position.  Young joins Sean Dollars, a standout defensive back and running back, and Jeremiah Criddell, a star defensive back and receiver, who have said they are leaving Rancho Cucamonga to play their senior seasons at Mater Dei.Young announced via Twitter, "After much thought and prayer, I have decided to seize the opportunity to compete at the highest level and to set myself up for the next level."

Dollars told the Daily Bulletin that he and Young play on the same seven-on-seven team. "I want to play on the biggest stage possible," he said. "Everyone wants to win a national title and [at Mater Dei] you have the chance to do that."

The CIF retreat was sold to member schools as a way to reduce the growing legal costs associated with challenges to its transfer policies. And guess which school was involved in a key lawsuit that eventually led to CIF changes? Yes, Mater Dei.

Mater Dei is not the only school taking advantage of athletic transfers. * Chatsworth Sierra Canyon has a starting five of transfers in basketball. 

There is one positive in this transfer game. There's no longer a need to whisper in the bleachers or cover up what schools, parents and athletes have been doing for years.  Everyone can now shout, tweet and brag that they're switching schools for sports reasons.  Isn't it great?

Sondheimer’s inconsistencies aside, I think there’s a growing sentiment nationally with the surge of transfer acceptance in last 4-5 years (mainly with CA abandoning enforcement) to draw the line “somewhere” and IMG is not only always on the other side of that line, they are fairly the poster child of elite transfers and boarding student-athletes in nhsfb

i was one of the guys against scheduling them or including them in rankings but that was a couple or three years ago and I’ve accepted the inevitable, but can still applaud an organization that is willing to make a statement against, albeit with SOME hypocrisy 

• Like 1

I believe the motivation behind this ruling is not so much that the CIF does not like schools such as Cen10 or Mater Dei playing IMG, Oak Hill basketball, etc. It is difficult to make an argument that elite teams scheduling them is a problem.

More importantly, this ruling would make it unlikely that a school/athletic academy such as IMG, Finley Prep, Montverde, etc will be established in California since they would not be able to play local high schools. That’s the real motivation for this ruling by the CIF.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

I believe the motivation behind this ruling is not so much that the CIF does not like schools such as Cen10 or Mater Dei playing IMG, Oak Hill basketball, etc. It is difficult to make an argument that elite teams scheduling them is a problem.

More importantly, this ruling would make it unlikely that a school/athletic academy such as IMG, Finley Prep, Montverde, etc will be established in California since they would not be able to play local high schools. That’s the real motivation for this ruling by the CIF.

I hadn’t heard this but it makes a ton of sense 

if Texas hadn’t thought of that before, maybe they just did

Ohio.....

Georgia.....  

Could make it more challenging for IMG to offer an elite schedule or at least nearly the podium they currently do or can 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 12:09 PM, golfaddict1 said:

He's a complete tool and a major MD hater. Never liked him.