Are Texas HS Football best days behind them?

Sammyswordsman

21 hours ago, Pops said:

Late to the party with my 2 cents

TX imho is #1 hsfb state in country, but the ranking will depend on the criteria.  For me, TX goes to #1 based on:

— community passion/ support/ culture

— depth, including specifically more worthy top 100 teams most years than any other state

— total counting #s (TX will always be in top 3 of D1s, NFL players etc)

Sammy is poking at TX’s Achille’s heel, which imho is that TX is underrepresented in a new “nth level” of elite teams due to a public school culture that still considers transfers cheating.  That approach impairs the development of super teams (while arguably keeping the whole stronger).  TX also makes far less effort than any top 10 state to engage with national competition.  They have their reasons but the perception is that TX is more than willing to remain somewhat isolated from the rest of the emerging super elite level of hsfb.  

It will be interesting to see if bishop dunne or pope pius etc starts garnering attention and transfers due to embracing the National game — TX has effectively stifled privates by forcing them either into a separate classification or to play several classifications up — if dunne or others start to become THE elite schools in TX, there is going to be significant consternation in my home state 

Still you have flaws.  Our public schools are still producing at the highest level of elite this country has to offer.

for those of you that believe there was big difference between MD and the best from Texas and Florida are simply foolish.

Jesus the best team MD played last year was BG at home —-Hell fire MC FL went to BG and beat the same team and didn’t even win championship in Florida.

You guys want to point out that WEstlake lost to the Nevada team - not taking into account that Westlake was the walking wounded in during that game due to the battle they had the prior week.

- Yet ignore that DLS got beat by damn team from Utah.

that same Utah team is playing Allen this year!!

3 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Still you have flaws.  Our public schools are still producing at the highest level of elite this country has to offer.

for those of you that believe there was big difference between MD and the best from Texas and Florida are simply foolish.

Jesus the best team MD played last year was BG at home —-Hell fire MC FL went to BG and beat the same team and didn’t even win championship in Florida.

You guys want to point out that WEstlake lost to the Nevada team - not taking into account that Westlake was beat up in that game - Yet ignore that DLS got beat by damn team from Utah.

that same Utah team is playing Allen this year!!

Miami Central was a damn good team 

They had 3 losses on the year

IMG (top 3 in nation and arguably best in FL)

Miami Northwestern 2x (top 3 team in FL and borderline top 25 nationally)

Miami Central was probably a top 5 team in Florida last year and would have probably won any other classification outside of maybe 5a (AHP was better but Central was probably as good as cardinal gibbons or even slightly better)

29 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I predict this will be a solid year for TX, many top teams are returning talent and many starters along the OL/DL. Teams should be strong up front.

LT

LV

allen

NS

Trinity

woodlands

Rockwall

just to name a few.  

I hope so.  Another year with only 1 team in the National Top 10 and only 2 teams in the Top 20 would put a fork in the Mecca of high school football. Sad.

7 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I hope so.  Another year with only 1 team in the National Top 10 and only 2 teams in the Top 20 would put a fork in the Mecca of high school football. Sad.

According to Calpreps.  Mighty convenient that is the ONLY poll you quote.

How many TX teams were in the top 25 in other publications?  Prepnation and fishers poll had Allen #2 and cy fair I believe was 10th in prepnation.  Both teams pushed by other texas top teams during the year, e.g. Westlake and lake Travis who were also highly nationally ranked.  Fisher had lake Travis #14.   Texas is well represented within any top 25 poll with teams moving in and out.

1 hour ago, Texasball said:

You boys talk all this shit.  Why are your teams not lining up to play Allen?

how many years running now has Allen hosted oos team or teams to open the season?

SC, FL, AL, LAx2, with UTAH coming this year.   All have sent teams.  Cali prep boys are hiding - probably need more recruiting time knowing what happened to DLS

What's so scary about Allen?  They have not beaten a Top OOS team recently.  Fact is that Allen chooses their OOS opponents very carefully.   Last year they scheduled multi loss Evangel doormats.  There were multiple teams in Arizona and Nevada (one of which steamrolled Westlake) that Allen could have invited. 

Allen didn't even have a Top 50 win last year.  But as long as you Propane sales guys, who keep buying season tickets, are happy, I guess that's all that matters.

8 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

What's so scary about Allen?  They have not beaten a Top OOS team recently.  Fact is that Allen chooses their OOS opponents very carefully.   Last year they scheduled multi loss Evangel doormats.  There were multiple teams in Arizona and Nevada (one of which steamrolled Westlake) that Allen could have invited. 

Allen didn't even have a Top 50 win last year.  But as long as you Propane sales guys, who keep buying season tickets, are happy, I guess that's all that matters.

Not many respect calpreps, so stop quoting them as THE source and ONLY authority on rankings.. a few had lake Travis as a top 20 team.

why not play Allen?  they are the reigning state champs, unlike ET at the time that wasn't and still sent DLS packing.   Lol

20 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

According to Calpreps.  Mighty convenient that is the ONLY poll you quote.

How many TX teams were in the top 25 in other publications?  Prepnation and fishers poll had Allen #2 and cy fair I believe was 10th in prepnation.  Both teams pushed by other texas top teams during the year, e.g. Westlake and lake Travis who were also highly nationally ranked.  Fisher had lake Travis #14.   Texas is well represented within any top 25 poll with teams moving in and out.

I prefer to use the compilation poll. Stop tryna defend Texas having (1) Top 20 team in 2017.  Just admit Texas needs to step up their game and be done with it.  

The first step to recovery is admit there is a problem. 

You already did a good job citing Texas teams that could make some national noise in 2018.  I hope those Texas teams scheduled some quality OOS games.

2 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Not many respect calpreps, so stop quoting them as THE source and ONLY authority on rankings.. a few had lake Travis as a top 20 team.

why not play Allen?  they are the reigning state champs, unlike ET at the time that wasn't and still sent DLS packing.   Lol

Again.  What's so scary about Allen?  They make their hay playing  good Texas teams ( besides Katy), and mediocre OOS teams.

Allen didn't pick up the phone to SJB or Stache either.  

Polls just don't like Tx they have to spread the love..we understand ..now if there was a National poll based out of TX things would be different, heads would explode. I really quit thinking about them  since they rank part timers like Bozo and that Fl team playing 8-10 games a year. You need depth to play 16 games (that is twice the games per year for you math wizards) and yes Lake Travis will have a high ranking in Texas...you will see them in Dallas in Dec.....and Y'all will be watching.

18 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I prefer to use the compilation poll. Stop tryna defend Texas having (1) Top 20 team in 2017.  Just admit Texas needs to step up their game and be done with it.  

The first step to recovery is admit there is a problem. 

You already did a good job citing Texas teams that could make some national noise in 2018.  I hope those Texas teams scheduled some quality OOS games.

Don't whine to me, you finesse boys need to call them and schedule, but we know MD just recently got into this OOS thingy as for many years they didn't play any  OOS games home nor away.  There  is no problem, only in your mind.  Allen is accomplishing what they set out to do...win a state title.  Pretty simple.

the schedules are already made Sammy, stop talking about scheduling. A matter of fact they are pretty much set for 2019 as well.  That's half the problem, you OOS guys still don't understand crap about the cycles nor scheduling here.

allen and Longview will have an open game in 2019 as they have one year deals with OOS teams this season.  Call those TWO up.

15 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

allen and Longview will have an open game in 2019 as they have one year deals with OOS teams this season.  Call those TWO up.

Longview and Ruston is a two year deal. Ruston will go to Longview next year,

Longview currently leads that series 6-4.

#1,108
RUSTON
JAMES FIELD

RUSTON
LOBO STADIUM

4 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Longview and Ruston is a two year deal. Ruston will go to Longview next year,

Longview currently leads that series 6-4.

#1,108
RUSTON
JAMES FIELD

RUSTON
LOBO STADIUM

Thanks.  Well then there's that.  It leaves only Allen with an open date in 2019.

Good, competitive series with Ruston.  Longview should be salty both years.  Their QB is the real deal, folks are very high on him.

53 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

To Allen's defense, you don't see too many oos teams chomping at the bit to play them..... not even the elite private schools. 

30 minutes ago, State Champ said:

Polls just don't like Tx they have to spread the love..we understand ..now if there was a National poll based out of TX things would be different, heads would explode. I really quit thinking about them  since they rank part timers like Bozo and that Fl team playing 8-10 games a year. You need depth to play 16 games (that is twice the games per year for you math wizards) and yes Lake Travis will have a high ranking in Texas...you will see them in Dallas in Dec.....and Y'all will be watching.

Polls don't like teams that lose to Liberty Nv. and Teams that lose to teams that lose to Liberty Nevada.

There is not much depth needed when only (3 of 16) games are vs State Top 20 and only (5 of 16) are vs. State Top 50. 

47 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Again.  What's so scary about Allen?  They make their hay playing  good Texas teams ( besides Katy), and mediocre OOS teams.

Allen didn't pick up the phone to SJB or Stache either.  

No one is using the word "scary" but you.  If you want to play one of the best Tx programs in the past 5 or so years, Allen is it.  Since 2012,  playing dallas areas powers SLC (2-0), ET (3-0), desoto (4-0)and cedar hill (3-0) they are 12-0.   

3 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

No one is using the word "scary" but you.  If you want to play one of the best Tx programs in the past 5 or so years, Allen is it.  Since 2012,  playing dallas areas powers SLC, ET, Desoto, and cedar hill they are 11-0.   

Yeah but.  What what's their record vs. Katy?

Toting Allen's record vs Dallas teams (who are scared of Allen) = DLS record vs. Nor Cal. (who are scared of DLS). 

We all saw what happened when DLS (over time) when they started leaving Nor Cal on a regular basis.

3 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Yeah but.  What what's their record vs. Katy?

Toting Allen's record vs Dallas teams (who are scared of Allen) = DLS record vs. Nor Cal. (who are scared of DLS). 

We all saw what happened when DLS (over time) when they started leaving Nor Cal on a regular basis.

Who cares, they don't have to play EVERYONE in the state Sammy.  They've played and beaten a lot of the Texas powers.  If you paid attention though you would know last season Lake Travis beat Katy (28-14) in the semifinals and Allen beat lake Travis the next week in an epic finals.

DFW is not scared of them, Allen is just better.  They are top dogs in their region Like lake Travis is in theirs and katy in their region. 

4 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Who cares, they don't have to play EVERYONE in the state Sammy.  They've played and beaten a lot of the Texas powers.  If you paid attention though you would know last season Lake Travis beat Katy (28-14) in the semifinals and Allen beat lake Travis the next week in an epic finals.

DFW is not scared of them, Allen is just better.  They are top dogs in their region Like lake Travis is in theirs and katy in their region. 

Ok.  I didn't realize that Katy was now in the same playoff division as Allen.  Will that be the case in the foreseeable future?  If Allen is not going to schedule Top OOS teams, then it would be helpful (for vetting Allen's prowess)  if they at least played Katy.

On 5/4/2018 at 1:03 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

I love TX hsfb, but losing to Liberty was a huge hit no matter the consequences. IMO TX should never lose to any non-BG NV team. Ever. 

Weak excuse, then CA should be viewed side ways as there is no reason a storied program like DLS should lose to a team from UT.  You say the same for OH, who a few years back one of their top programs lasalle lost to Christian brothers from TN? CB wasn't even top 10 in TN at the time.

12 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Mostly because OOS teams don't want to play in Dallas during August.

God what a dumb ASS! Is there a certain temperature that you would like your team to play in. If the temp rises during the game will they pack up and leave....what about rain......

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Ok.  I didn't realize that Katy was now in the same playoff division as Allen.  Will that be the case in the foreseeable future?  If Allen is not going to schedule Top OOS teams, then it would be helpful (for vetting Allen's prowess)  if they at least played Katy.

Katy is a D1 lock.  Heck, they have over 3400 kids!  They never were small.  Katy needs to do their thing and take care of business to play Allen.  They didn't last year and will find it even more difficult this season.  North shore will be much improved and if th y get past them, LT will be there in the semifinals.  I don't think Katy sees another state title appearance for years to come. 

Just now, Horsefly said:

Katy is a D1 lock.  Heck, they have over 3400 kids!  They never were small.  Katy needs to do their thing and take care of business to play Allen.  They didn't last year and will find it even more difficult this season.  North shore will be much improved and if th y get past them, LT will be there in the semifinals.  I don't think Katy sees another state title appearance for years to come. 

Having Katy was impacted by the hurricanes last year so I wouldn't read to much into that.  But having them in the same 6a playoff bracket as the Dallas schools, (imo) definitely would elevate the final 8 compared to the Calif (CIF open) playoffs.

IMO Allen plays to many teams that are not even in the Texas Top 50 and should schedule better in state, if they are going to continue to avoid Top OOS teams.