What up Texas?

DevilDog

Wow!!

By Joseph Hoyt

12:30 PM on Feb 12, 2020

Editor’s note: This story will be updated

Duncanville football coach Reginald Samples, the 2019 National Coach of the Year by USA Today, was suspended Wednesday by the University Interscholastic League for the first game of the 2020 season after the UIL’s state executive committee found the football program violated the UIL rule regarding employment of coaches.

Samples and Duncanville will also be placed on one-year probation by the UIL. The Duncanville football program was also publicly reprimanded.

The Dallas Morning News reached out to Duncanville ISD but hadn’t heard back at the time of publication.

Duncanville’s 2020 football schedule hasn’t been finalized, so it’s not known who the Panthers will be playing. Duncanville is scheduled to play South Oak Cliff in Week 2.

The violation was first brought forward during a District 8-6A executive committee meeting near the end of last year’s season. No decision was made during the district’s meeting, but the case was referred to the UIL.

Duncanville is coming off its second-consecutive state-championship appearance. The Panthers have lost two games the last two seasons, both of which came in the state title to Galena Park North Shore.

The ruling comes while the Duncanville girls basketball program -- separate and unaffected by Wednesday’s ruling against the football program -- is under a two-year probation by the UIL.

On 2/6/2020 at 12:00 AM, DevilDog said:

Five best nondistrict football games

Southlake Carroll vs. Austin Westlake

Eight-time state champion Southlake Carroll will open the season against a Westlake team that was 15-1 and won the Class 6A Division II state title this past season. The game Aug. 28 at AT&T Stadium will match Carroll coach Riley Dodge against his father, Westlake coach Todd Dodge. Todd was Carroll’s coach when it went 48-0 and won three straight state titles from 2004 to 2006, and Riley was the star quarterback of the 2006 Carroll team that beat Westlake 43-29 in the state final.

DeSoto vs. Converse Judson
DeSoto coach Claude Mathis said this will “be one of the better opening games in the state of Texas” and predicted that Judson will probably be ranked in the top 10 in the state when they meet. Mathis said he wanted to play this game because of the legacy created by former Judson coach D.W. Rutledge, who won four state titles at the school.

Allen vs. Humble Atascocita
Allen has won four of its five state championships in the last eight years. It will be challenged in Week 2 by an Atascocita team that has won 10 or more games in six of the last seven years and is coming off a 12-2 season and regional final appearance. Because Allen and Plano East are no longer in a district together, they will face each other in Week 1.

Aledo vs. Denton Guyer
This Week 2 matchup will feature two teams that both played on the final day of the UIL state championships, with Aledo winning the 5A Division II title and Guyer finishing as the 6A Division II runner-up. Guyer handed Aledo its only loss in 2019, winning a 60-57 thriller that featured 1,164 yards of offense.

Highland Park vs. Rockwall
This will be the fifth consecutive season that these teams have met, but this time it will be in Week 4 instead of the season opener. The last three meetings have been decided by seven points or less, and Rockwall handed Highland Park its only loss during the Scots’ state championship season in 2017. Braedyn Locke will be back at quarterback for Rockwall, and he threw for 569 yards and five touchdowns in a 66-59 loss to Highland Park last season.

Aledo and Guyer is no more.  Did a swap to allow Guyer to play Ryan.  I think Aledo will play Lancaster?  (I forgot who) Week 2.

41 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

Aledo and Guyer is no more.  Did a swap to allow Guyer to play Ryan.  I think Aledo will play Lancaster?  (I forgot who) Week 2.

This will be a good one, too bad they couldn’t have played last year 

Aledo n Lancaster might be good too, especially with Aledo losing Mclellan 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

This will be a good one, too bad they couldn’t have played last year 

Aledo n Lancaster might be good too, especially with Aledo losing Mclellan 

I dunno who would have won last year.  Ryan had more talent and the better defense (They play both ways...They also play hoops and I think they might make the playoffs lol). 

Anyways...Guyer had (and still has) the better QB.  RB I'd give the edge to Cobbs of Guyer but Bailey could hold his own.

WR edge goes to Guyer because...well...they actually used WRs (Meador) instead of freakish 2 way athletes.

I think Guyer would win because of Cobbs and Ryan's 2-way system wears down the athletes.

This year...Despite Sanders being gone for Ryan and Cobbs being gone from Guyer...I'm SLIGHTLY leaning towards Ryan....Thier QB going to have to actually win the game instead of managing it tho.  Y'all saw how that went in December.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Frosty4024 said:

I might have to take a train to that game.  Wife (Married Feb 10th) decided we're moving to Carrollton in August where the football is 🤮🤮🤮.

Congrats man! 

Also... I gotta keep in mind there's more than one Carrollton... 

For a second I thought you where leaving TX... 

What are the good teams in that area? 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1