“Politically Incorrect” High School Mascots

The Colonel

Do you know of any others? Post ‘em!

1 | Arkansas School For the Deaf Leopards

deafleopards.jpg

This is, quite possibly, the best mascot selection IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD. They are the Deaf Leopards. I just feel bad for their one-armed wide receiver.

2 | Laurel Hill (Florida) Hoboes

laurelhillhoboes.jpg

The mascot gets its name because of Laurel Hill, Florida’s annual Hobo Festivalevery October. Every second Saturday in October. THE HOBO FESTIVAL IS IN TWO DAYS. I cannot believe I just found out about this year’s Hobo Festival and now I’m missing this year’s Hobo Festival.

Also, I spell the plural “hobos,” not “hoboes” like Laurel Hall High School. I’m more offended by the high school throwing an “e” in there than I am at them naming their sports teams after stabbin’ drifters.

3 | Wahpeton (North Dakota) Wops

wahpetonwops.jpg

They held out until the 1990s before they backed off the Wops and changed to the Huskies. It’s like neither of the Italians in North Dakota noticed before then or something.

4 | Orofino (Idaho) Maniacs

orfinomaniacs.jpg

Maniacs isn’t a politically correct term anymore — especially when the mascot is clearly based on an actual insane person and not some kind of wild creature. This is no coincidence. Orofino, Idaho is home to a state mental hospital. Apparently the high school and the mental hospital are right next to each other. Must make for some fascinating conversation at the fence dividing the two.

5 | Pekin (Illinois) Chinks

pekinchinks.jpg

The name was changed in 1980 to the Pekin Dragons. Why a school in central Illinois is so determined to hang onto its (nonexistent) Chinese heritage is anyone’s guess.

6 | Freeburg (Illinois) Community High School Midgets

freeburgmidgets.jpg

They aren’t just sticking with the now-antiquated term “midget”… their logo shows they they decided to go for the pissed-off angry stereotype. The guy who goes out of his way to date a woman who’s like 5-foot-4 and sits around with his buddies cursing out Peter Dinklage’s sellout success. Get with the times, FCHS. We’re all on that guy’s side. 

7 | Frisco (Texas) Fighting Coons

friscofightingcoons.jpg

In 2002, the school board decided that “Coons” was just too offensive so they changed it to the “Racoons.” I’m pretty sure they didn’t realize that move was a tacit admission that yes, they *were* being racist all of those years. By only slightly altering the name to Racoons, there’s a subtle acknowledgment that there’s a difference between “coon” and “raccoon.”

8 | Hoopeston (Illinois) Cornjerkers

hoopestoncornjerkers.jpg

They were so busy jerking their corn they ended up doing all of the graphics for their flier in Microsoft Word ’97.

9 | Hereford (Texas) Whitefaces

herefordwhitefaces.jpg

The team is named for a breed of cattle that has a white face. Good thing this is Texas. In the hippie states, people wouldn’t even have time to complain about any potential Klanny overtones of “Whitefaces” because they’d be too upset over someone thinking their kids are cattle.

10 | Butte (Idaho) Pirates

buttepirates.jpg

I mean… they have to know. Right? They have to know.

11 | Robstown (Texas) Cotton Pickers

robstowncottonpickers.jpg

Interesting fact: Texas leads the U.S. in cotton production. Another interesting fact: “Cotton pickers” does not evoke images of the modern booming cotton industry. It’s why this country doesn’t call its subways “underground railroads.”

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Not high school but College related. Several years ago there is a big uproar to change the name of the Ithaca College Bombers because it was too insensitive and insinuated bombing people. The mascot was even a 1940's bomber pilot with the gear on his hat excetera and oversized of course. believe I believe the name came from production plant near the campus that produced engine parts for the B-52 bombers from World War II. They took a thousand requests for nickname changes and the top three were so lame I can only imagine what the other 997 were. one was the lake monsters another was the Flying Squirrels and the last was the Phoenix. the alumni were in such an uproar that when they sent out checks for donations many replied with a check for $0.02 and wrote in the memo section keep the bomber nickname here's my two cents. well Money Talks and thank God the name stayed as the Ithaca College Bombers!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Yuma High Criminals

A66AD4FA-B357-4E46-933C-4172067F740E.jpeg

Most common origin story is that they were named the criminals because the school originally held classes inside the territorial prison. There is another story though that in 1913 Yuma scored an upset victory over Phoenix Union where the losers called the Yuma squad "criminals" for stealing the win. What was intended as an epithet became a point of pride to the point that Yuma wrestlers have old-school jailbird striped warm-ups.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Most common origin story is that they were named the criminals because the school originally held classes inside the territorial prison. There is another story though that in 1913 Yuma scored an upset victory over Phoenix Union where the losers called the Yuma squad "criminals" for stealing the win. What was intended as an epithet became a point of pride to the point that Yuma wrestlers have old-school jailbird striped warm-ups.

That’s awesome. I’m just glad they weren’t forced to change their name because some scumbag got offended. 

3 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

That’s awesome. I’m just glad they weren’t forced to change their name because some scumbag got offended. 

My cousins graduated from Shadow Mountain High, who are known as the matadors. During one of their senior year there was a big push for them to change the mascot to ducks because there were a group of students that were offended that at the end of a bullfight the matador typically kills the bull. Fortunately sanity prevailed and Shadow Mountain is still known as the matadors.

When South Mountain High in south Phoenix first opened they were known as the rebels; as south Phoenix emerged as the state's center of African-American culture in the late seventies/early eighties some had determined the rebel nickname had outlived its usefulness and South became known as the jaguars. Every decade or so there seems to be a groundswell of interest from old-time alumni of all backgrounds for the rebel nickname to return.

A mascot story I've always been amused by is the story of retired NBA standout Richard Jefferson. Growing up in Phoenix he attended a middle school that fed into two high schools, Moon Valley and Greenway. His mom, holding pretty strict Christian values, vetoed the idea of her son being a (Greenway) demon, thus Richard would go on to be a Moon Valley Rocket and would defeat the rival Demons to win a basketball state title his senior year.

As an ASU grad I can take solace in knowing that Jefferson's decision to play college ball at U of A was clearly driven by religious conviction (if being a demon was a no-no I can imagine being a devil would be even worse) versus the fact that ASU is ass in basketball.

• Like 1

Im not sure if this applies but

My city made the national news over one of the high schools name. Donna high school redskins when the whole washington redskins name thing became a deal, i think the school is actually older than the Washington redskins.  this area never had any native American population in the history of this area, so i wonder where the name came from lol, the school opened in 1911 (South texas a little less than 10 mins from the border)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

I would think that would be called out as racist.

They say it isn't. Compton College's mascot name is the Tartars, named after the Turkic Tatars, so the mascot name for Compton High School became the Tartar Babies. The mascot itself is "Baby Tartar" who wears a diaper and carries a big sword. - Wikipedia

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7a0bggDN32EuW5aUIJAcI think at one time, they were housed on the same campus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slotback Right said:

They say it isn't. Compton College's mascot name is the Tartars, named after the Turkic Tatars, so the mascot name for Compton High School became the Tartar Babies. The mascot itself is "Baby Tartar" who wears a diaper and carries a big sword. - Wikipedia

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7a0bggDN32EuW5aUIJAcI think at one time, they were housed on the same campus.

Idk tartar babe don't look like no baby... 

Look like a grown ass man... 

9 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

The above is true.  What many don't realize is that Compton was once a very Caucasian neighborhood.  As urban sprawl started to happen, there was the now present demographic shift.  Compton College was very well-respected in the 50s, I've heard.

But still, at this point, I think they need to change that.