This is one of the last surviving active message boards...

BigDrop

I have posted on internet message boards of one kind or another since the late ‘90’s.  For several I may have spent one to two hours a day on them,  freshly obsessed with the new medium, the internet.  For myself the boards included Chowhound, eGullet and Wine Berzerkers along with three or four high school and college boards.  Over the years I’ve even shown up on German fusball boards, united airlines frequent flier boards and even rollercoaster enthusiasts (I sold them) along with several local boards in the D. C. Area.

Today more are dead with others who contributed having moved on with more important or necessary ways to invest their time.

Several of the boards have led to enduring friendships as well as contacts and friendships to share a passion with.

i note all this because much of this type of communication, of basic  contact has now disappeared. Whether the message boards have actually folded or simply only have a fraction of the participants they once had-for many they are only a shadow of what they once where.

My Chowhound board (handle was “Joe H”) was the strongest with some posts having a million or more hits.  Like high school football there were a lot of opinions about where to have a good meal.

High school sports have long been a passion of mine.  With frightfully heavy travel literally all over America I developed a love for certain home towns and their teams.  I also met a lot of people many of whom I still talk to today.

Today, many of these boards have disappeared.  Many of those who posted have simply moved on and acquired a new interest or obsession.

My purpose in writing this is to say we’re  one of the few active boards remaining. For any topic.  I appreciate, respect and thank all of you for allowing our respective passions and beliefs to be peacefully (!) and respectfully pursued.  I value PrepGridiron and thank all of you for sharing with myself and others.  This is a great board whose future success and growth I loudly applaud and encourage.

Thank you, Gentlemen.  Appreciated.

Now to return to my many disagreements....😄

• Thanks 3
  • Like 29

This forum is unique in a lot of ways.

jeff "football" fisher has 13,000 followers on twitter (he claims).......he tweeted this last week and it has generated 1 retweet and 2 likes so far.

Had fisher posted this here it would have 1000 replies, 45,000 views and 765 likes by now. 

.......5 or 6 people doing the "high school football drug" every day can do some major damage. xD

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, RedZone said:

This forum is unique in a lot of ways.

jeff "football" fisher has 13,000 followers on twitter (he claims).......he tweeted this last week and it has generated 1 retweet and 2 likes so far.

Had fisher posted this here it would have 1000 replies, 45,000 views and 765 likes by now. 

.......5 or 6 people doing the "high school football drug" every day can do some major damage. xD

Speaks volumes about his 13,000 followers.

http://static.golfchannel.com/FGI/index.html

The only other forum I posted on was freegolfinfo.com  (when I was a golfaddict).   I stopped posting there years back, but the 3-5 or so years I did view and post I learned a lot about golf and especially golf equipment.   The banter was also entertaining.    I just for the heckuva it checked the site after reading Bigdrop's post and how about that,  seems it ended less than 2 weeks ago.  

2 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

http://static.golfchannel.com/FGI/index.html

The only other forum I posted on was freegolfinfo.com  (when I was a golfaddict).   I stopped posting there years back, but the 3-5 or so years I did view and post I learned a lot about golf and especially golf equipment.   The banter was also entertaining.    I just for the heckuva it checked the site after reading Bigdrop's post and how about that,  seems it ended less than 2 weeks ago.  

Wow!  

BigDrop is right 

there is something to be said about this groups passion for this subject.

This group has survived 3 different message boards in the last 5 years and one where we were put in a dingy and set adrift in the middle of the message board ocean.Here we all are though on a message board created by one of us and sustained by all of us

• Like 7

Just curious as to why you guys think message boards go away like that. I mean, I know there is probably many reasons, but, is there any connective tissue between the shut downs?

I've been part of quite a few boards through the years and the things that I always kinda connected with the demise was politics and religion seeping in. 

Once people identify others as not friendly to their religion or politics, their general playful banter kinda fades out. I think we have seen some of that here also, which is why I stay so adamant that we do our best to keep it separated. Can't help but notice the guys that post heavily on our OT board either seldom post on the Varsity side or the stuff from that side has a way of following them to the Varsity side. 

Loss of interest could certainly be a cause as well, but, looking at Golf's golf board, it didn't look like a terrible loss of interest on that one. 

Anyway, just my thoughts on message boards in general through the years of posting on them.  Have seen quite a few come and go. This group is the first that I've ever chosen to meet people from. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Just curious as to why you guys think message boards go away like that. I mean, I know there is probably many reasons, but, is there any connective tissue between the shut downs?

I've been part of quite a few boards through the years and the things that I always kinda connected with the demise was politics and religion seeping in. 

Once people identify others as not friendly to their religion or politics, their general playful banter kinda fades out. I think we have seen some of that here also, which is why I stay so adamant that we do our best to keep it separated. Can't help but notice the guys that post heavily on our OT board either seldom post on the Varsity side or the stuff from that side has a way of following them to the Varsity side. 

Loss of interest could certainly be a cause as well, but, looking at Golf's golf board, it didn't look like a terrible loss of interest on that one. 

Anyway, just my thoughts on message boards in general through the years of posting on them.  Have seen quite a few come and go. This group is the first that I've ever chosen to meet people from. 

I used to post on the “other topics” board and stopped.  It was just, well, dangerous for me. I have two 30+ year good friends who have different political opinions than I do.  We’ve created an understanding in our relationships that politics should not overtake our friendship. I’m just not certain that the other board, with brief political comments, allows this same opportunity.

For myself there are a huge number of boards that have either been discontinued or have very little activity.  But I like this “format.”  I am not on Facebook, Instagram or other social media probably because of my “social media” experience dating to the ‘90’s and no longer having interest in learning a new format.

I like this one.

But many people seem to burn out and move on from this format, perhaps to other social media.  For some it is also just not wanting to spend as much time behind a keyboard.  

Over the years, especially dating to my Chowhound days I met many, many people from the board-all with good experiences.  That adds to my comfort in sharing on this board.

I must also add that there are more than 25 responses to my original post in this thread.  For me that is reassuring that so many share my same passion and choice of expression.

I would like to believe that if I sat next to someone in a stadium in a distant city-when the game was over I may have made a friend.

This board, for me, is very much like that.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

I used to post on the “other topics” board and stopped.  It was just, well, dangerous for me. I have two 30+ year good friends who have different political opinions than I do.  We’ve created an understanding in our relationships that politics should not overtake our friendship. I’m just not certain that the other board, with brief political comments, allows this same opportunity.

For myself there are a huge number of boards that have either been discontinued or have very little activity.  But I like this “format.”  I am not on Facebook, Instagram or other social media probably because of my “social media” experience dating to the ‘90’s and no longer having interest in learning a new format.

I like this one.

But many people seem to burn out and move on from this format, perhaps to other social media.  For some it is also just not wanting to spend as much time behind a keyboard.  

Over the years, especially dating to my Chowhound days I met many, many people from the board-all with good experiences.  That adds to my comfort in sharing on this board.

I must also add that there are more than 25 responses to my original post in this thread.  For me that is reassuring that so many share my same passion and choice of expression.

I would like to believe that if I sat next to someone in a stadium in a distant city-when the game was over I may have made a friend.

This board, for me, is very much like that.

Drop,

If this board ever drops off, I’ll meet you at Anita’s in northern Virginia to talk high school ball. That or you have to head my way to Mass Ave NW. Either way we can both over rank DeMatha every preseason...

I’m probably heading to the DM vs SJB game in LA if you have rec’s.

• Like 1

I also was around the boards in the late 90s. I think there's generally less interest in HS football, nationwide, now. The "consolidation" of talent at a handful of schools has cut out a lot of programs from relevance. And their fans followed this in leaving. And I think people have just lost interest in following teams that are powerhouses mostly because they've ended up with a stacked deck. Seeing a team beat someone 50-0, when they may have a few players who recently left the losing team, is neither exciting nor noteworthy. Sure, some will tune in to see the "stars' play in the occasional big game. But, that's not the same thing as actually caring enough to read a bunch of articles and spend much time on message boards. 

Side, somewhat related commentary:

Much of the "consolidation" of talent, guys moving around from team to team, is rooted in pursuing "what's best for me and my family". On the one hand, this is understandable and perfectly fine. All of us should be able to do what's in our best interest. I'd certainly be ticked if anyone tried to tell me how to go about making career choices! However, I'm pretty sure there's little to zero demand among people to watch me do my job. Nobody is going to pay to watch me do my job, and nobody is even going to spend hours watching me do my job even for free. And that's fine. Nobody cares to watch anyone just doing their jobs for their own benefit. But, the same thing may slowly happen with sports. People will be fine with athletes doing what's best for themselves. Make as much money as you can! But, if team sports ends up being little more than a bunch of individuals "doing what's best for my family", interest in watching them do that will end up rivaling the interest people have to watch an accountant process tax returns or a lawyer typing up legal documents. And THAT would spell the near-end of profitable sports leagues. And, in turn, sports message boards :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, badrouter said:

I also was around the boards in the late 90s. I think there's generally less interest in HS football, nationwide, now. The "consolidation" of talent at a handful of schools has cut out a lot of programs from relevance. And their fans followed this in leaving. And I think people have just lost interest in following teams that are powerhouses mostly because they've ended up with a stacked deck. Seeing a team beat someone 50-0, when they may have a few players who recently left the losing team, is neither exciting nor noteworthy. Sure, some will tune in to see the "stars' play in the occasional big game. But, that's not the same thing as actually caring enough to read a bunch of articles and spend much time on message boards. 

Side, somewhat related commentary:

Much of the "consolidation" of talent, guys moving around from team to team, is rooted in pursuing "what's best for me and my family". On the one hand, this is understandable and perfectly fine. All of us should be able to do what's in our best interest. I'd certainly be ticked if anyone tried to tell me how to go about making career choices! However, I'm pretty sure there's little to zero demand among people to watch me do my job. Nobody is going to pay to watch me do my job, and nobody is even going to spend hours watching me do my job even for free. And that's fine. Nobody cares to watch anyone just doing their jobs for their own benefit. But, the same thing may slowly happen with sports. People will be fine with athletes doing what's best for themselves. Make as much money as you can! But, if team sports ends up being little more than a bunch of individuals "doing what's best for my family", interest in watching them do that will end up rivaling the interest people have to watch an accountant process tax returns or a lawyer typing up legal documents. And THAT would spell the near-end of profitable sports leagues. And, in turn, sports message boards :)

At the risk of turning this thread into something else entirely... I agree with the last part of your post. 

The more the sport becomes about me, and not the team, or even the more it becomes about the team than the community... the more people will drift away from it in general. 

Perhaps that's the natural progression of it all. Of everything even. And perhaps we pick and choose where we want to fight progress and where we want to fight for it.

As far as message boards go, the more true to the primary subject matter that brought everyone together they can stay, the better. The beauty of high school football is the actors (players/kids) change fairly regularly. Therefore the debates can stay somewhat fresh.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Drop,

If this board ever drops off, I’ll meet you at Anita’s in northern Virginia to talk high school ball. That or you have to head my way to Mass Ave NW. Either way we can both over rank DeMatha every preseason...

I’m probably heading to the DM vs SJB game in LA if you have rec’s.

Would love to meet-perhaps there.  I’ll make the decision in a couple of weeks.  Regardless, my wife and I go to Marina del Rey and Santa Barbara in late September.  We were married there 24 years ago and have a history of visits and friends.  In-n-Out Burger for a double double animal style with grilled onions.  Cannot believe how good it is.  My favorite restaurant in L. A. Is in Santa Monica, Rustic Canyon.  Beard award.  On the level of Pineapple and Pearls here but less expensive.  Do you know where DeMatha is staying?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

But, if team sports ends up being little more than a bunch of individuals "doing what's best for my family", interest in watching them do that will end up rivaling the interest people have to watch an accountant process tax returns or a lawyer typing up legal documents. And THAT would spell the near-end of profitable sports leagues. And, in turn, sports message boards :)

Disagree wholeheartedly 

people watching dynasties is a proven commodity.

weather they love them or hate them they watch and it doesn’t matter how they became a dynasty they will be watched.

This was evident during the MD IMG game when a 12,000 seat stadium sold out and hundreds of people stood in the bushes to watch and this in a state that the rest of you claim doesn’t draw crowds for HS football 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Sorry Ararar,

The only reason that game was sold out, is because the two teams were both mega all-star teams similarly built.  If you take out the IMG game, and the two games against similarly built SJ Bosco, you find that Mater Dei outscored the other 12 opponents 543 - 93. That works out to an average score  of 45.25 to 7.75. Keep in mind that includes four other Trinity League teams, three Div 1 playoff games, and an Open Division State Bowl game against DLS.

Interest in those twelve games was way lower than it should have been, because the result were known before the opening kickoff.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Not much difference in political forums and high school football forums.

Both are filled with strange people spinning losses and chest-bumping wins. lol

There used to be a dumbass from Florida that posted here that didn't even have a team, but managed to be in every thread either crying or jacking off.

Half the people on the political side probably don't even vote. lol

You get the picture.

2 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

Sorry Ararar,

The only reason that game was sold out, is because the two teams were both mega all-star teams similarly built.  If you take out the IMG game, and the two games against similarly built SJ Bosco, you find that Mater Dei outscored the other 12 opponents 543 - 93. That works out to an average score  of 45.25 to 7.75. Keep in mind that includes four other Trinity League teams, three Div 1 playoff games, and an Open Division State Bowl game against DLS.

Interest in those twelve games was way lower than it should have been, because the result were known before the opening kickoff.

“The most anticipated game of the season got off to a peculiar start when Centennial, appeared to score on Freedland’s 50-yard keeper on its first possession. But the play was nullified because the officials were not ready.”

obviously the Los Angeles Times doesn’t have the same perspective as you.Dont confuse your personal interest with the rest of the groups interest.

You are trying to convince me that nobody cared about Alabama because the majority of their games were one sided which is just not true 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2019 at 8:27 PM, BigDrop said:

Many of those who posted have simply moved on and acquired a new interest or obsession.

I think this sums it up.

And fortunately with high school football, new people find the site and replace those who have moved on.

It's like a roller-coaster. And when the season starts, it's that exciting big drop of the ride, right BigDrop?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

Sorry Ararar,

1996 Hampton, VA out scored opponents 768-83 in 14-0 national championship year with Ronald Curry at qb.  He was first team All America in USA Today in BOTH football and basketball while also winning a national slam dunk contest.  Hampton won the state championship 51-0 over a previously undefeated Patrick Henry.

This was the most dominant hs football team I have ever seen.  Their home games sold out most games in the 10,000+ seat Darling stadium while away games did also.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ararar said:

Disagree wholeheartedly 

people watching dynasties is a proven commodity.

weather they love them or hate them they watch and it doesn’t matter how they became a dynasty they will be watched.

This was evident during the MD IMG game when a 12,000 seat stadium sold out and hundreds of people stood in the bushes to watch and this in a state that the rest of you claim doesn’t draw crowds for HS football 

I acknowledged that people will check out the occasional big game or star player. People may check out that one MD-IMG game.  But, that doesn't mean they really, sincerely care all that much. There is no real fan base for IMG. Nobody really gives a shit about them. But, they will keep an eye on their games. Similar things can be said about the other "dynasties". The programs that are really big will have their fans. But, that's it. Nobody outside of those specific fans really cares. They don't see the competitive landscape as really fair. The "consolidation" of talent has made a bit of a mockery of the game.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

1996 Hampton, VA out scored opponents 768-83 in 14-0 national championship year with Ronald Curry at qb.  He was first team All America in USA Today in BOTH football and basketball while also winning a national slam dunk contest.  Hampton won the state championship 51-0 over a previously undefeated Patrick Henry.

This was the most dominant hs football team I have ever seen.  Their home games sold out most games in the 10,000+ seat Darling stadium while away games did also.

But 1996 Hampton, at the time, was a bit of a novelty, and Ronald Curry was seen as a once-in-a-lifetime type player. Had Hampton continued rolling over the roster with a bunch of players from other area schools year after year, and kept outscoring people by 700 points in a season, interest would have waned like we see elsewhere. 

• Like 2