James Harden can't flop his way to a title.

HooverOutlaw

10 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Houston dropped this series hard... 

We should've won this... 

However I think the Bucks and the Raptors stand a fair chance against GS... 

Maybe the Bucks.... but not the Raptors mainly because Kawhi's teammates often go missing on the offensive end way too much. 

1 hour ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

LOLOLOLOL!!!! Fucking hilarious

If anybody's been getting help from the refs it's Golden State... 

This entire series the refs have been on their side..  

Questionable officiating is one of the things that drove me away from watching the NBA.  I got sucked back in briefly to watch the beginning of this series.  Game 1, there had to have been something like 7 fouls against Harden that got missed, while breathing in the direction of Durant earned you one.  

I relearned my lesson and am watching NHL playoffs which have been much more compelling.

• Like 1

Good - Rockets games are terrible to watch.  Harden or Paul pounding the ball into the floor for 15-20 seconds followed by a step back (Travel) 3 point attempt where the shooter goes down like he got sniped from the stands.  Amazing how they have a coach in Mike D. who ran one of the most fun and fluid offenses in basketball during his time with the Suns.  Now relegated to holding up 1 finger and calling for an iso on every trip down the court.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

LOLOLOLOL!!!! Fucking hilarious

If anybody's been getting help from the refs it's Golden State... 

This entire series the refs have been on their side..  

Boy, now I see how your bias really objects your view point. GS had to stop playing D on Harden when he drove to basket because an automatic foul would be called each and every time. The refs didn't give CP the automatic foul each time he tried to ram into defender or just flopped, so maybe that is what you are saying, that the refs didn't automatcally bail out CP each time he flopped ?  Golden State always gets majority of shit calls, namely because they are the champs and league has an interest in keeping viewers interested watching the best team more often by en longing each series 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 3:36 PM, HooverOutlaw said:

No player get calls more than Harden

Harden is built to get those calls, basically a Adrian Dantley, John Drew type of player at the guard spot. 

Harden is what 6’ 4” 220 pounds with a deep skill set. 

He’s catching quite a bit of flack, and I’ve chimed in for the most part. 

But the dude is pretty damn good. 

BGW

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Harden is built to get those calls, basically a Adrian Dantley, John Drew type of player at the guard spot. 

Harden is what 6’ 4” 220 pounds with a deep skill set. 

He’s catching quite a bit of flack, and I’ve chimed in for the most part. 

But the dude is pretty damn good. 

BGW

Yeah he is 

so he doesn’t need help from the refs 

not only does it do a disservice to the game but it does a disservice to Harden himself when they suddenly call the game somewhat better during the playoffs 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ararar said:

Yeah he is 

so he doesn’t need help from the refs 

not only does it do a disservice to the game but it does a disservice to Harden himself when they suddenly call the game somewhat better during the playoffs 

Couldn't get it if he wanted to... 

Not with KD and Curry on the court... 

The refs have priorities... 

On 5/11/2019 at 11:54 AM, Ararar said:

If Harden didn’t get  so much help from the refs he wouldn’t be talked about in such glowing terms 

I made this same argument on a basketball related site and it didn’t go over so well with a few people. Many agreed with me, but those that didn’t found it easier to question my knowledge of basketball rather than be open minded to the truth.

I’ve been following the NBA since the late 70’s. In that time, I’ve never seen a player that gets the benefit of ‘star treatment’ more than Harden. Not Jordan, not Kobe, not Magic, not Bird, not Shaq (who I thought got away with a lot of bullying and dislodging), not Curry, not KD. 

Make no mistake, all those players received a fair amount of latitude from the NBA with regard to rules and foul calls. They all received ‘star treatment’. Jordan got away with carries and the push off on Bryon Russell. Kobe got Mike Bibby called for a foul while elbowing him in the face. No doubt they all got away with some BS.

But ‘star treatment’ has gone to another level in recent years and no player has benefitted from it more than Harden. Rules have changed making it even easier to score. Jordan once averaged 37 ppg when defenses could still ‘hand check’ and the ‘Jordan Rules’ were in place. Guys got knocked to the floor when they came into the lane.

Now they have ‘freedom of movement’ rules and no hand checking whatsoever.

Harden, unlike most others, has signature moves designed just to draw fouls. Cheap fouls. Some of the moves are indeed savvy. But many of them are not. I grew up playing street ball. Hardens the type of guy that would have gotten beat up using the tactics he uses in the NBA now. But I digress....

His signature moves typically include push off with the forearm and 3-4 step travels to get space. I’ve never seen it done as often or as egregiously.

It’s similar to the Spurs style of defense under Popovich. Play super  physical all game long and the refs won’t call all the fouls because the NBA doesn’t want half the team fouling out every game. It’s not good for business. 

Same applies to the NBA officiating it’s stars. If they called these guys for traveling or pushing off or illegal screens as often as they do it, it would be bad for business. They want offensive explosions of 140+ points and 25 threes. So the rules have been tweaked and setup for what we’re seeing now. All of these current players are benefitting. But none more so than Harden. Because this cat has a different mindset than KD or Curry, or Giannis or Kawhi. They don’t tend to intentionally circumvent loopholes in the same way. At least nowhere as often, anyway.

On other sites, I’ve compared Harden to players such as Carmelo Anthony and Tracy McGrady. Like them, he’s a volume scorer. A chucker. His shooting percentages are pretty much average, unlike KD or Curry. 44% overall and 36% from three. Nothing spectacular. But he shoots in such volume and gets bailed out for so many fouls that his scoring numbers can be eye popping at times. 

IMO, the only thing he does above average when he wants to (aside from flail his arms and legs to draw fouls) is create shots for others. But he’s an awful defender and an average shooter. He’s a good player made to be elite because of the star treatment and violations he’s not held accountable for.

Like Carmelo Anthony and Tracy McGrady and even to some extent, Allen Iverson, his style of play wins during the long drawn out regular season, but it isn’t conducive to winning in shorter series against elite competition. 

Same goes for Mike D’Antoni and his system. IMO, the Rockets style of play is what’s wrong with the NBA. Dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, shoot a three. Rinse repeat.

Over-reliance on analytics and the three. They missed 26-27 consecutive threes last season and Denver just lost a series last night missing 17 consecutive. Even the trigger happy Warriors understand that they have to score via moving without the ball, screening, passing and taking the easy 2’s that are there. And they do it.

In conclusion, to me, Harden is just another in a long line of volume scorers. Nothing more. Just like in the NFL and MLB, the numbers look more impressive due to years of softening rules for offenses. Carmelo, McGrady and AI would have averaged 35 under these rules too. Considering prime Jordan averaged 37 in a much more offensively difficult era, he likely could average near 50 under the current rules if he wanted. 

Harden is nowhere closer to an all-time great than Carmelo Anthony or Tracy McGrady.

• Like 2

Oh, one last thing to add a bit more context.

I’m a KINGS fan. I hate the Lakers and the Warriors. If anything, I have more of a bias against those teams and players that played for them than anyone else.

I fully believe Shaq, Kobe, KD, Klay and Curry didn’t or don’t get the same level of calls that Harden does. The amount of FT’s helps support that notion. So does the eyeball test of how many times I see Harden travel and push off compared to the others.

Honestly, I feel Steph Curry gets the least calls of all those guys. It amazes me how many times I see him get hammered with no call.

• Like 1