CalPreps Ratings vs. GAs OOS Game Performance - Weeks 0-7

ECHS05

Im going to keep track all year.

If in fact Ned has added to the algorithm to take into account state scaling, it will improve every week. But right now is proof they undervalue Georgia still like they do every year.

Youd think theyd make improvements every year based on the numerical values (via games played) they get every year but its crap again ... they made improvements up until this year... But now its back to garbage after the Colquitt-Columbia snafu.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

I just gave indisputable, cold hard numerical facts that GA is indeed undervalued based on their performance.

There is no argument or disputing it otherwise. Its there in verifiable numbers.

Nobody cares outside of you. Just get over it and move on. If GA teams want to prove they are better, they will figure out ways to play these other teams outside or GA, FL, or AL. End of story. 

6 minutes ago, frankyjames said:

Nobody cares outside of you. Just get over it and move on. If GA teams want to prove they are better, they will figure out ways to play these other teams outside or GA, FL, or AL. End of story. 

The irony here is strong.... 

And also "Mother of a sailor"my ass... 

More like a Son of a Bitch... 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ECHS05 said:

Im going to keep track all year.

If in fact Ned has added to the algorithm to take into account state scaling, it will improve every week. But right now is proof they undervalue Georgia still like they do every year.

Youd think theyd make improvements every year based on the numerical values (via games played) they get every year but its crap again ... they made improvements up until this year... But now its back to garbage after the Colquitt-Columbia snafu.

They adjusted Georgia up a little over the last two years and their correct predicting percentage as a whole went down I think. 

Not sure what raising Georgia overall had to do with that drop in predicting percentage, but, I'll be curious to see if their percentage is better now that they claim teams like Myers Park NC, Serra Gardena CA, Christian Bros, Corner Canyon Utalh, Pinnacle Az and that ilk are better than both Colquitt and Marietta. 

#CPmustBeDestroyed

7 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

All ratings & projections were done pre-game

Did you check the # of GA teams this week vs. last?   Any increase in top 100 and 1000 vs the drop-down week?  

For shits and giggles, what Echs did is basically what the creator did for the 2017 season... and he explains it on his site and even mentions GA.  

As an example, IL/GA/UT/AZ were the main states that needed bumps in 2016, as it turns out...but of course, the list of states changes from season to season.  Each of those states mentioned were anywhere between a point and three points lower than they should have been.  And needless to say, a few states were rated too high as well, and we've made those changes also.  We're not talking about changes that are particularly noticeable to the naked eye, necessarily, but the overall ratings are definitely helped by this change, as the states fall in line with each other right where they should.

Fortunately, none of this will be an issue going forward.  States are automatically scaled now-- adjusted for how much better/worse they've done against out-of-state competition than would have been expected.  So again, not a problem going forward and also, we've made the change retroactively to previous seasons as well.

What other possible way is there to analyze state scaling, but to compare OOS game activity?   Freeman did it and the underlined statement above tells us he attempts to adjust on the fly by doing an OOS analysis on a weekly basis.  

You have to tune out the dunce cap crowd at times Echs... you keep on keeping on.  

• Like 2

RATINGS FIXES   (State Scaling)

The purpose of this change was to finally get every state to fall exactly where it should...slotting in against the rest of the country.  As those who follow the site closely know, the ratings are tremendously accurate in any given area, as there is so much data to go on.  That hasn't always held true outside of state lines though.  For example, sometimes you'll see a team score an impressive upset win against an out-of-state national power, and of course the winning team (and their state as a whole) get a bump out of that, but it can sometimes appear to the naked eye as if it wasn't enough of a bump.

It turned out that there was a relatively easy fix to this.  It was as simple as adjusting the way a state as a whole is rated AFTER the ratings have been created.  So, if a state has played a large sample size of out-of-state games, and consistently done better than ratings would say was expected, then obviously that state needs more recognition.  We're not talking about a state that has only played a couple of out-of-state games here...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Did you check the # of GA teams this week vs. last?   Any increase in top 100 and 1000 vs the drop-down week?  

For shits and giggles, what Echs did is basically what the creator did for the 2017 season... and he explains it on his site and even mentions GA.  

As an example, IL/GA/UT/AZ were the main states that needed bumps in 2016, as it turns out...but of course, the list of states changes from season to season.  Each of those states mentioned were anywhere between a point and three points lower than they should have been.  And needless to say, a few states were rated too high as well, and we've made those changes also.  We're not talking about changes that are particularly noticeable to the naked eye, necessarily, but the overall ratings are definitely helped by this change, as the states fall in line with each other right where they should.

Fortunately, none of this will be an issue going forward.  States are automatically scaled now-- adjusted for how much better/worse they've done against out-of-state competition than would have been expected.  So again, not a problem going forward and also, we've made the change retroactively to previous seasons as well.

What other possible way is there to analyze state scaling, but to compare OOS game activity?   Freeman did it and the underlined statement above tells us he attempts to adjust on the fly by doing an OOS analysis on a weekly basis.  

You have to tune out the dunce cap crowd at times Echs... you keep on keeping on.  

There was 3 GA teams in the top 100 last week, now theres 4 with McEachern coming in at 99.

There were 34 Georgia teams in the Top 1000 last week, this week theres 35... Not sure who the new addition is there.

But yeah, there literally is NO other way to scale states together other than by using OOS game performances. 

7 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

You use to quote CalPreps verbatim... Unless you were proven to be completely wrong.

Lets not change your narrative now.

If their numbers are as off as Ive shown... Which clearly they are... Theres NO way you can look at it to compare teams nationally.

kid, you have no clue.

Yes you need to use Cal. When you use Cal you have to reference their place in rankings. You do not take it as Gospel. Who is better, number 1 or #5? Cal will not tell you this.

Who is likely better, #5 or # 65? Cal is a great tool. Indispensable. 

folks who only understand black and white are at a distinct disadvantage in using Cal to it's potential.

Also, you can use Cal to support an argument that #1 is likely better than #5. That is fair. (it is even fair to use USATODAY to support such a claim and we all know how poor that poll is.) 

You really need to take notes.

3 minutes ago, noonereal said:

kid, you have no clue.

Yes you need to use Cal. When you use Cal you have to reference their place in rankings. You do not take it as Gospel. Who is better, number 1 or #5? Cal will not tell you this.

folks who only understand black and white are at a distinct disadvantage in using Cal to it's potential.

Also, you can use Cal to support an argument that #1 is likely better than #5. That is fair. (it is even fair to use USATODAY to support such a claim and we all know how poor that poll is.) 

You really cant look at 5 & 65 and say whos better... IF states arent scaled appropriately.

He can lower the scale on a state so much, if he wanted to, that no matter what happens & who beats who in that state... None of the teams from that state can crack the Top 1000... 

Think whatever you like. This argument youre trying to have with me is irrelevant. Ive already proven myself right, and you wrong. At this point its just more yapping.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, noonereal said:

kid, you have no clue.

4 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

You really cant look at 5 & 65 and say whos better... IF states arent scaled appropriately.

He can lower the scale on a state so much, if he wanted to, that no matter what happens & who beats who in that state... None of the teams from that state can crack the Top 1000... 

Think whatever you like. This argument youre trying to have with me is irrelevant. Ive already proven myself right, and you wrong. At this point its just more yapping.

@noonereal

You are missing the point anyway.

Its that he CAN fix it. If he can, he should. Itd make for a better product.

If youd stop thinking you know everything, and take your head out of your ass for 5 minutes... Youd get it.... Maybe.

2 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Ned has prove over the years that his algorithm is solid. (if you take it like I just explained) 

Tell you what, I'll bet #1 over #65 in Cal all day long. 

------------------------------

Just now, ECHS05 said:

@noonereal

You are missing the point anyway.

Its that he CAN fix it. If he can, he should. Itd make for a better product.

Let's face it. You simply want GA teams rated higher in spite of the fact that they have done nothing to deserve it. Do I really need to mention BC Grayson?

At this point we all understand. Ga has a plethora of talent. They do not accumulate it like South Cal or FL or DC or NJ or.... Hence you have many very good teams. Few top 25 great teams. 

It was just the other day @Pops explained it to you.

Come on man, be rational. 

• Like 2

Ned has prove over the years that his algorithm is solid. (if you take it like I just explained) 

Tell you what, I'll bet #1 over #65 in Cal all day long. 

------------------------------

Again, the point is he can fix it.... Maybe not 100% fix it. But he can make it better. He took a step in the right direction & added something to attribute for state scaling based on OOS results (or so he said).

The thing is... GA ended 2018, with 10 teams in the top 116, and 64 in the Top 1000.... He had it at about that in 2019 a few weeks before the preseason. But after the Colquitt-Columbia scrimmage was incorrectly added... By mistake or on purpose GA was dropped tremendously.

If hed use the year before... And scale states, the next year, the way they were trending the previous year & let state scaling dictate from there... His product would get better & better and states would be better compared & ranked together. But instead... GA ends 2018 with 10 in the top 116, 64 in the top 1000... Theres now (2019) 5 in the top 116 and 35 in the top 1000... Thats going the wrong way & working against the process you put in to correct that in the first place.

9 minutes ago, noonereal said:

Let's face it. You simply want GA teams rated higher in spite of the fact that they have done nothing to deserve it. Do I really need to mention BC Grayson?

At this point we all understand. Ga has a plethora of talent. They do not accumulate it like South Cal or FL or DC or NJ or.... Hence you have many very good teams. Few top 25 great teams. 

It was just the other day @Pops explained it to you.

Come on man, be rational. 

This is nothing but blabber based on biased opinion.

Please bring up Grayson-BC.... The #2 team in NJ (of which there are only 3 good teams period) beat the #12 ranked team in Georgia. A program that fired their Head Coach after the season. This does nothing to prove your point... Whatever your point is.

Honestly the #2 ranked team from ANY state should be able to beat the #12 ranked team from ANY state.... Well, mostly. 

2 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

This is nothing but blabber based on biased opinion.

Please bring up Grayson-BC.... The #2 team in NJ (of which there are only 3 good teams period) beat the #12 ranked team in Georgia. A program that fired their Head Coach after the season. This does nothing to prove your point... Whatever your point is.

@noonereal don’t get it twisted.. some of the National Polls had Grayson Rated #3 in country comings into week 0

42 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

@noonereal don’t get it twisted.. some of the National Polls had Grayson Rated #3 in country comings into week 0

we all know when the kid gets frustrated he simply makes shit up. 

I guess Cal "state scaling" was pretty damned favorable for GA last year. 

Guess what happened. GA fell on it's face.

@stanscript has not made any adjustments so if anything it's obvious Ned fucked up by elevating GA last year. 

53 minutes ago, noonereal said:

we all know when the kid gets frustrated he simply makes shit up. 

I guess Cal "state scaling" was pretty damned favorable for GA last year. 

Guess what happened. GA fell on it's face.

@stanscript has not made any adjustments so if anything it's obvious Ned fucked up by elevating GA last year. 

Oh he did make adjustments and even attested to it by making an announcement that he was "predropping teams to fit as he preferred"

You may have missed that. There was a certain and obvious adjustment. Multiple times inside of three days. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Oh he did make adjustments and even attested to it by making an announcement that he was "predropping teams to fit as he preferred"

You may have missed that. There was a certain and obvious adjustment. Multiple times inside of three days. 

But don't miss the big picture, Cal WORKS in macro. 

It's awesome. The best we have and better every year. 

We have seen GA play OOS. We know they are good. We know that they are shy on top 25 teams. We know why. 

This is all so simple unless your agenda is to advance the perception of GA TEAM football regardless of fact. 

But don't miss the big picture, Cal WORKS in macro. 

It's awesome. The best we have and better every year. 

We have seen GA play OOS. We know they are good. We know that they are shy on top 25 teams. We know why. 

This is all so simple unless your agenda is to advance the perception of GA TEAM football regardless of fact. 

But I haven't heard anyone say Georgia should have a top 25 team in this discussion. 

Plainly it's only been said that the Georgia teams are once again over performing their rating in OOS games by a pretty large margin. I think the idea is that if that is the case then there is something wrong with the scale. 

In your opinion, is there not something wrong with the scaling if Georgia is over performing in almost every single out of state game? 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

But I haven't heard anyone say Georgia should have a top 25 team in this discussion. 

Plainly it's only been said that the Georgia teams are once again over performing their rating in OOS games by a pretty large margin. I think the idea is that if that is the case then there is something wrong with the scale. 

In your opinion, is there not something wrong with the scaling if Georgia is over performing in almost every single out of state game? 

I'll bet you half the stats are over performing and half are under performing. Think about it. 

Plus, for the most part, @ECHS05 is just making stuff up.

Here is an idea. Just enjoy the games. 

When GA has a truly gifted team that is well coached it will show up in teh scores and polls. 

peace

20 minutes ago, noonereal said:

I'll bet you half the stats are over performing and half are under performing. Think about it. 

Plus, for the most part, @ECHS05 is just making stuff up.

Here is an idea. Just enjoy the games. 

When GA has a truly gifted team that is well coached it will show up in teh scores and polls. 

peace

Oh, I will enjoy the games. 

It appears that Georgia has some teams in the polls. 

I will also enjoy watching ECHS go after CalPreps... again. 

He took a year off, but, they went the other way again, so... We're off! Hahaha

• Haha 1