Bryce Young commits to Alabama

ATLien12x

17 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

He is struggling so far this year.  He better make sure he goes to a place where he would have a chance to get some PT by at least his sophomore/junior year.  Or if he knows he won't get far, then to a school with great academics.  His numbers so far are not good.  Especially for hsfb.

4 of those 5 picks came last week against Grayson. Three in the red zone.  Reminded me of Tua against Clemson. Was able to move well between the 20s but just couldn’t find the end zone. Certainly not his best year but his numbers will balance out by seasons end. I still believe he’s the top QB in Georgia this year. 

Another with much worse numbers is Longview QB Hayes King. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Texas guys on here seem to believe in him 

• Thanks 1

Fun Fact:

Bobby Bowden stole Florida State's flaming spear idea from San Diego State.

As the Aztecs Sports Report  has detailed, the SDSU contest triggered an idea in young Bobby Bowden’s head.  While prone to “dadgummits” and other folksy behavior, Bowden was a shrewd program builder.  He wanted what the Aztecs had.  “I remember we came out of our dressing room and saw (the Aztec Warrior mascot) in a sarong with a flaming spear.  It was very inspirational.”  

“We decided we needed to do something like that.  That’s where we got the idea to get the crowd riled up.”  

So in 1978, Florida State introduced its now iconic Chief Asceola flaming spear ceremony.  Out of the ashes of the SDSU defeat, arose the Seminoles’ flame-filled and raucous pre-game tradition.   

https://collegefootballnews.com/2017/10/san-diego-states-perfect-40th-anniversary-celebration-mwwire-swanson

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Pops,

It wasn't all that great when JT actually was under center...

But take heart, IMO 2019 DLS is better than 2017 DLS, so let's placate ourselves with that happy thought and dreams of a puncher's chance for the rest of the regular season, see how they progress...and then we panic and hit the excuse thread hard!  😉

I hear you

I didn't expect this team to be better than '17 because of LB losses (and Foskey), but I think they have a higher ceiling -- I don't know any of the linemen, but they all seem about 6', 250#, and angry -- iow, 0* guys but can play with blue chippers.  

I just watched the MD-SFA highlights and thought "Wow!" (and DLS's particular sort of kryptonite)

I'm on record as saying I think they have a puncher's chance, but it would help if Young got mononucleosis around Thanksgiving..

If they get there..... likely, but didn't mean to presume

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pops said:

Oh

I agree

Don't mean to piss anyone at SJB off, but yeah, I think MD maybe a bit better heads up anyway and I'd take that QB style

Would you rather MD or SJB is an exercise in splitting hairs.  Both are going to be equally tough to run on.  SJB would rather truncheon you first, and pass if necessary.

Good news for DLS is you won’t ever have to deal with both in succession. 😉

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Pops said:

Woe is us

lacking that honed edge from 16 monster games in a row that every socal team gets 

Don’t exaggerate.  MD/SJB/DLS is a real gauntlet for any SS team.  It’s been that way for a while now.  

There are but a few teams in SS that could beat any one of them if one team was all they had to worry about.   

Not saying DLS isn’t a good team, they just have a much easier path.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Don’t exaggerate.  MD/SJB/DLS is a real gauntlet for any SS team.  It’s been that way for a while now.  

There are but a few teams in SS that could beat any one of them if one team was all they had to worry about.   

Not saying DLS isn’t a good team, they just have a much easier path.  

I pointed prior to ‘12 SBG that you guys were going for your 3rd top 10 national win in a row 

I know the paths 

There is another school of thought that suggests that’s an advantage 

43 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Plus don't they have lil Tua waiting in the wings?

Bryce would play over him. Nobody to blame but USC. Felt this happening for a while. How do you lose kids from your own backyard that to Tuscaloosa/Columbus/Clemson? Bad coaching. & parents are advising their kids to not go to SC because of that. Perfect storm at Alabama for Bryce. Tua leaves, would be the most talented qb on campus from day 1, and gets the sec exposure. Competing against his buddy dj for national titles and keeping that rivalry open is something I believe intrigues him. Bryce is the best and he wants to prove it, can’t blame the kid for not being sold on SC. Every recruit knows Helton is gone regardless of how this year goes. (Imo he can only lose to ND/Oregon to keep his job) It could get uglier for sc - all the la kids want to leave town. No Justin flowe, Myles murao, Elias ricks, d. Uiaglelei. How do you lose those kids when you have a head start on recruiting them? I think Helton is a great dude, but not the guy for SC.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Bryce would play over him. Nobody to blame but USC. Felt this happening for a while. How do you lose kids from your own backyard that to Tuscaloosa/Columbus/Clemson? Bad coaching. & parents are advising their kids to not go to SC because of that. Perfect storm at Alabama for Bryce. Tua leaves, would be the most talented qb on campus from day 1, and gets the sec exposure. Competing against his buddy dj for national titles and keeping that rivalry open is something I believe intrigues him. Bryce is the best and he wants to prove it, can’t blame the kid for not being sold on SC. Every recruit knows Helton is gone regardless of how this year goes. (Imo he can only lose to ND/Oregon to keep his job) It could get uglier for sc - all the la kids want to leave town. No Justin flowe, Myles murao, Elias ricks, d. Uiaglelei. How do you lose those kids when you have a head start on recruiting them? I think Helton is a great dude, but not the guy for SC.

But if SC makes a huge splash on a new hire, he would stay.  So would others.  SC has the money and they should do it now. 

18 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

Plus don't they have lil Tua waiting in the wings?

Bryce Young is much better. No disrespect to Baby Tua as I think he’ll be a good college quarterback elsewhere, but I believe Alabama is all-in on BY for a reason. This kid is special and has proven it over the last two years. Writing is on the wall once Bryce flips to TTown. He’s the only quarterback Alabama has offered this year. He’s our guy. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Agree with all of this. Good post 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Lol... You got it right... 

He should've been gone after last season. 

USC has money, reputation and location as an advantage they could get any recruit they wanted if they had a good coach. 

48 minutes ago, ATLien12x said:

Bryce Young is much better. No disrespect to Baby Tua as I think he’ll be a good college quarterback elsewhere, but I believe Alabama is all-in on BY for a reason. This kid is special and has proven it over the last two years. Writing is on the wall once Bryce flips to TTown. He’s the only quarterback Alabama has offered this year. He’s our guy. 

Oh I have no doubt BY is better.  I was just hoping bama would feel obligated to pass the keys from Big Tua to lil Tua. 

On 9/18/2019 at 4:42 PM, bigrobstercraws said:

Fun Fact:

Bobby Bowden stole Florida State's flaming spear idea from San Diego State.

As the Aztecs Sports Report  has detailed, the SDSU contest triggered an idea in young Bobby Bowden’s head.  While prone to “dadgummits” and other folksy behavior, Bowden was a shrewd program builder.  He wanted what the Aztecs had.  “I remember we came out of our dressing room and saw (the Aztec Warrior mascot) in a sarong with a flaming spear.  It was very inspirational.”  

“We decided we needed to do something like that.  That’s where we got the idea to get the crowd riled up.”  

So in 1978, Florida State introduced its now iconic Chief Asceola flaming spear ceremony.  Out of the ashes of the SDSU defeat, arose the Seminoles’ flame-filled and raucous pre-game tradition.   

https://collegefootballnews.com/2017/10/san-diego-states-perfect-40th-anniversary-celebration-mwwire-swanson

Yes, I see you also watched the Bowden Dynasty on ACC network...