Q&A with USA Academy Chairman, Dustin DeVaughn

PrepGridiron

19 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Man, the bullshit-o-meter has been pegged on this stuff for days already. 

That thing is pegged and bouncing and today and I expect the needle or peg to break soon. Lucky for these guys nobody reads or participates on here outside of us national level football  nerds, or, they'd be in damage control big time. 

Normal courses of operation apparently are nothing to this group.

Normally, as you have pointed out, there is a tentative set of plans drawn by an architect, then stamped and presented to the proper authorities for approval via city council, county commission, planning and development, or whatever entity handles zoning and ordinances for the jurisdiction. (As an aside, you just can't up and build a school or stadium just anywhere. Lol. Normally there has to have been meetings and notices to the public about potential zoning changes and the like for the property in question.) Then, upon at least feeling confident of approval by said entities, a general contractor or multiple general contractors are contacted by, in this case, USA Academy or Dustin dba as USA Academy or whatever the thing is, for bids, and these general contractors then contact their subcontractors(usually they have relationships with particular subs they know and trust for prices and workmanship). Sometimes the generals have been in relationships with their subs long enough that they feel comfortable quoting a project without first contacting their subs but, when there are deadlines, especially tight ones, these subs must be contacted to be sure these stringent deadlines can be met... Anyway, this process for a project the size we are discussing on here today is painstaking and long. Estimators pour over the architects plans, and often send the architect (who usually dictates brands and types of materials in the stamped plans) anyway, they often send him something called submittals in order to request approvals for changes on various material brands etc. for approval before giving a hard quote on the project. 

If this general contractor does happen to make the quote with approved submittals, then and only then are subcontractors hired, and not by PGL, but, by the general contractor who will ultimately be responsible for the job, deadlines being met and inspections being passed. 

These guys aren't going to be "winging" a project this size. Not even as simple as just the stadium and related infrastructure. Not when kids are going to be using the fields and buildings. 

It's ridiculous to see the thing being doubled down on. 

Hawg,

" tentative plans are drawn by an architect, then stamped and presented to the proper aurthorities"

Incorrect, plans are only stamped by the building department after the plan checker has approved the plan submittal. Your out of sequence , stamped plans are way down the flow chart. The developers rep would take the podium and present the project to the Design Review / Planning Board and conduct a Q & A session. The developers rep presents architetcural renderings called design documents via a powerpoint presentation on a large screen. The members of Design Review Planning Board want to see the exterior and interior elevations, Handing them a set of plans with architectural, structural, mechanical, plumbing, electrical and other sections would be worthless. If all goes well the Board votes and if approved the project receives Entitlement Status. Only then the developer can start the start the plan submittal process.

"Estimators pour over the architects plans, and often send the architect (who usually dictates brand and types of materials in the stamped plans)"

Incorrect, All the building trade estimators pour over the engineering plans. The A sheets are to reference locations, heights and length dimensions. Architects do not call out brand and types of materials, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing , Fire Sprinkler and other building trade engineering conusultants do.

"they often send him something called a submittal in order to request approval for various material brands"

Incorrect, it's called a Building Permit Revision not a submittal. Only the Building Department can approve any material or brand change that is different from the stamped plans, not the architect. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Exocet 98 said:

Hawg,

" tentative plans are drawn by an architect, then stamped and presented to the proper aurthorities"

Incorrect, plans are only stamped by the building department after the plan checker has approved the plan submittal. Your out of sequence , stamped plans are way down the flow chart. The developers rep would take the podium and present the project to the Design Review / Planning Board and conduct a Q & A session. The developers rep presents architetcural renderings called design documents via a powerpoint presentation on a large screen. The members of Design Review Planning Board want to see the exterior and interior elevations, Handing them a set of plans with architectural, structural, mechanical, plumbing, electrical and other sections would be worthless. If all goes well the Board votes and if approved the project receives Entitlement Status. Only then the developer can start the start the plan submittal process.

"Estimators pour over the architects plans, and often send the architect (who usually dictates brand and types of materials in the stamped plans)"

Incorrect, All the building trade estimators pour over the engineering plans. The A sheets are to reference locations, heights and length dimensions. Architects do not call out brand and types of materials, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing , Fire Sprinkler and other building trade engineering conusultants do.

"they often send him something called a submittal in order to request approval for various material brands"

Incorrect, it's called a Building Permit Revision not a submittal. Only the Building Department can approve any material or brand change that is different from the stamped plans, not the architect. 

I do have a slight feeling that some of these things may work a little different over here, but..  

Still, the point remains... This project was apparently worse out of sequence than my explanation. xD

As dumb as I was, and, by god, I'm not even the one announcing that I was going to build a school, groundbreaking on Jan. 20th, I was still smart enough to sniff out some bullshit when I smelled it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, DevilDog said:

I believe that other DD 🤣 The Goobers that gave the good ole USA (Pun intended) this can build anything in a year.  Just look at the artful ingenuity and sharp lines.

Image result for redneck motorhome park

The deluxe model comes with Local TV and Handicap Parking.   USA USA USA.  We know how they all love the 3 letter chants in Dixie.  

Related image

Looks like the Longhorn or King Ranch edition....

BGW

• Haha 2

On 1/3/2020 at 4:50 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

Again, why would RP be involved if he already knows none of what was discussed at his presser yesterday will come to fruition? Is he that desperate for a paycheck even if for a few months? 

Shit, have you seen how much he owes in back taxes?  Anything helps.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Shit, have you seen how much he owes in back taxes?  Anything helps.

See, GSB is a salesman also. He doesn't mind glossing over realities in order to make a sale. 

I prefer that people are honest and upfront when making a pitch. Especially if someone is asking a direct question up front and the salesman blows it off. I usually show those types the door if I'm the one dealing with them. 

I never doubted they'd play football this year. My whole issue has been with the sales pitch since the very first day we started learning about it. 

This pitch started with fancy computer renderings of a uniform, stadium and dorms. One picture of a generic vicis helmet with a decal on it and a video of a blank piece of land. Then the pitch was showing me that stuff, saying construction and classes start on Jan. 20th 2020. The reality is, they should show pictures of modular trailers on gravel parking lots but nobody is forcing the issue. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

See, GSB is a salesman also. He doesn't mind glossing over realities in order to make a sale. 

I prefer that people are honest and upfront when making a pitch. Especially if someone is asking a direct question up front and the salesman blows it off. I usually show those types the door if I'm the one dealing with them. 

I never doubted they'd play football this year. My whole issue has been with the sales pitch since the very first day we started learning about it. 

This pitch started with fancy computer renderings of a uniform, stadium and dorms. One picture of a generic vicis helmet with a decal on it and a video of a blank piece of land. Then the pitch was showing me that stuff, saying construction and classes start on Jan. 20th 2020. The reality is, they should show pictures of modular trailers on gravel parking lots but nobody is forcing the issue

@HawgGoneIt thier talking about bringing in Temporary dorms and classes next week which require almost no construction, but it’s still zoned for Agricultural so that defeats the purpose of bringing in Temporary buildings, 

So they plan on housing and classes off campus next week , at a different location ?

Just now, imaGoodBoyNow said:

@HawgGoneIt thier talking about bringing in Temporary dorms and classes next week which require almost no construction, but it’s still zoned for Agricultural so that defeats the purpose of bringing in Temporary buildings, 

So they plan on housing and classes off campus next week , at a different location ?

Bro, I have no idea what they're thinking. I think it should be up to the reporters in that area to ask him these questions, and do the investigative stuff, but, they're giving him benefit of the doubt in their reporting. Softball. 

He's looking pretty inept at all of this part so far. He probably should hire a consulting firm or something to help him so he doesn't keep looking bad. Of course, looking bad is in the eye of the beholder so, it depends on the painted picture. The reporting over there has him looking ok unless you start delving in like we have, so, he's doing ok on that I reckon. 

Nobody really knows how much actual planning he's had done behind the scenes, but, leaps can be made that there hasn't been much because he didn't even know he needed to be rezoned. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Exocet 98 said:

Hawg,

Alls I know is Carmellas dad used the wrong lumber for her spec house and even Hugh's connection could not help at the inspectors office because he had already retired.  it's all about using the correct city approved lumber.  

• Haha 3

On 1/3/2020 at 12:08 PM, USA Academy said:

This started in September of last year with my frustrations with home school sports and the resources available to those organizations.

This kinda caught my eye, too, as I was reading his responses.  

He’s gonna stock his roster with these unknown 5* homeschooled kids who would otherwise be playing at THE Ohio State University but for the lack of football resources available to them?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Bro, I have no idea what they're thinking. I think it should be up to the reporters in that area to ask him these questions, and do the investigative stuff, but, they're giving him benefit of the doubt in their reporting. Softball. 

He's looking pretty inept at all of this part so far. He probably should hire a consulting firm or something to help him so he doesn't keep looking bad. Of course, looking bad is in the eye of the beholder so, it depends on the painted picture. The reporting over there has him looking ok unless you start delving in like we have, so, he's doing ok on that I reckon. 

Nobody really knows how much actual planning he's had done behind the scenes, but, leaps can be made that there hasn't been much because he didn't even know he needed to be rezoned. 

Doesn't hurt this is going down in *trump country, so you know they will believe anything.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Alls I know is Carmellas dad used the wrong lumber for her spec house and even Hugh's connection could not help at the inspectors office because he had already retired.  it's all about using the correct city approved lumber.  

You’re just pissed  because you’re a shitty saleswoman who built a shitty house that’s gonna crush that couple and their baby!

One of the best fights between them in the series.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

You’re just pissed  because your a shitty saleswoman who built a shitty house that’s gonna crush that couple and their baby!

One of the best fights between them in the series.

Hahaha.  That was hella cruel for him to say that.  But I still laughed.  Cousin Brian and his familia were good tho. 

I'll deposit this here...

https://theusaacademy.com/2020/01/586/

Public Statement Regarding Zoning Issues Reported

First off, I want to say “thank you” to my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, for allowing us to come this far with USA Academy and we are excited about the future to be carried out by His will. It has been and forever will be in His hands.

I also want to publicly welcome Coach Rush Propst as the Founding Head Football Coach at USA Academy.

I want to say thank you to the Mayor, Clerk, and Town Council of Coosada. They have been very helpful and receptive throughout this entire process. Council members have reached out these last 48 hours expressing their excitement from the publicity of the project and the potential for us to help the town’s desperate financial needs.

I also want to thank all of the incredible people locally and from across the country for the thousands of messages, emails, phone calls, and more in support of USA Academy and our mission ahead. In turn, I want to express my disappointment in the very few people that have been attempting to impede the positive impact that we are working toward for tomorrow’s younger generation of student athletes, as well as the positive economic development that our area desperately needs. I understand that we live in a perfectly imperfect world and people make mistakes (trust me I have made plenty of them), but we hope to see the very few that are critical make a turn to understand the positive that we are bringing to the student athletes that are ready to perform on a national stage. We plan to work diligently with all involved to come up with a solution that best fits everyone in the most positive way possible.

Now, we all know the media loves good drama, so this story should help them sell papers or put out more “click bait” content in an attempt to gain readership, and I am sure they will skew the story and/or use partial pieces to meet their narratives, or to fit whatever agenda they see would be best for readership rather than layout the entire story.

Lastly, I want to address the misleading, half written, and controversial story reported by our local media.

On December 11, 2019, I presented USA Academy to the Town Council of Coosada. The meeting was incredible and the Town Council was excited about the opportunity to have such a large economic project brought to the community. Each council member was given the opportunity to ask any questions regarding the project and I gladly answered. I think the number one question was, “How will this project financially benefit the Town of Coosada?” To which my answer was based around the economic impact of IMG Academy, a similar based school located in Bradenton, FL. IMG yielded a $517,000,000 economic impact in a study done in 2013, based on 2012 statistics alone. Source: https://www.bradenton.com/opinion/editorials/article34578234.html

During this meeting, the council members were given a packet that clearly displayed the identifying property and no issues were brought to my attention with zoning between that time and December 30. On December 29, 2019 the news story broke about the hiring of Coach Rush Propst, which led to a media frenzy during this past week.

On December 30, 2019, I was contacted by a property owner that is located near, but not touching our desired location, requesting some information. This particular property owner said they were very concerned about traffic coming in on the easement to our property and its effects on their property. This particular citizen did, however, offer herself a board position with USA Academy and asked for me to build a “New York Central Park” style facility for her to run in and for the Coosada community to utilize. If I did this she would not become an issue for our project. This property owner also boasted their previous positions within the State’s Economic Development system and explained they would voice their objections to the traffic issue to slow down or stop the project unless the demands were met. I politely advised this citizen that I would take the demands under advisement and I would get back to them. Heck, I even thought the Central Park idea wasn’t too bad…

On December 31, 2019, I was notified of an issue via email by the Town of Coosada. Within an hour or so of this email, I was at the Town with the clerk seeking answers and solutions. I worked with her (in person) and the Mayor (via phone) to find out what steps needed to be taken to allow the school to continue with our scheduled dates. The solution seemed resolved once I left the Town Admin building and the town had sent some information over to the regional planning commission. I was notified that we should have a resolution once Catherine (I am not sure of the spelling) returned to the office on Monday from the holidays. At this point, this still was not an alarming issue. I did request for the mayor to call a town hall and allow citizens to come and ask questions and display their concerns of the project. (He seemed open to the idea but it has yet to be granted)

On January 2, 2020, we held a press conference to announce the Head Football Coach for our varsity program that would allow our coaches to begin the recruiting process and working with our players that are already committed to the football program. We also announced that we would start taking students for football and cheer for an academic start date of January 20 and also planned to have temporary buildings brought in next week (January 6-10). We also went on the discuss our digital education platform and getting these student athletes acclimated to the digital learning environment.

Once the press conference, parent/student athlete meetings, and individual press interviews concluded, I was contacted by the town again; I went back to visit with them. This was the first time that I knew there was an issue with rezoning for the school building BUT that NO REZONING would be needed for any of the sports projects because AFR zoning allows for outdoor recreational because this need is not in the category of “not permitted.” However, it is conditional. The mayor was contacted via phone by me and the town clerk, but he did not answer and did not return the call. Once again, I was told that we were awaiting the return of Catherine on Monday before any other steps could be taken. Also once again, I asked for an emergency town hall to be called to address the concerns of the citizens of Coosada and the town clerk agreed that it would be a good idea.

This is when I activated the back up plan of relocating on other land up the road that we already have access to-if needed-that is not located within the town limits. This plan is still in place if the need arises.

On January 3, Coach Propst and I were in meetings preparing for our recruiting launch most of the day and the last meetings we planned was with Coosada’s Police Chief and dedicated police staff. During this meeting, we spoke about the need of this project to help with resources for the town’s police and fire departments. These men that put their lives on the line to protect this small community expressed their support and offered their help to ensure the project was not taken away from the town and moved to a property located outside of the town’s jurisdiction. We spoke with the Mayor via phone regarding these issues and-once again-I was told that we were awaiting Catherine on Monday but to prepare some paperwork the clerk had given me to turn in the planning commission.

After that last meeting, I was made aware of an article put out by local news and I noticed a text from the writer from earlier in the day buried within the 70+ text messages that I had received during these meetings. I also had a text message from a great friend of mine from another media outlet about the article. I reached out to the writer from Elmore/Autuaga news, but she was driving and did not have her notepad handy and told me she would call me back in 15 minutes. So, I returned a request from another media outlet and we discussed the issue and I told him that I was going to create an official response not based on an angered emotion of a half written story that did not take the time to get both sides. Once I got off the call, I called the  Elmore/Autuaga news writer again and made her aware of the above issues that were unreported. Things got heated as we left that call with disagreed terms based on her version of partial facts, which did not and could not include all the facts because they had not spoken to me.

What this story has done is open the possibility of us moving the school from the Town of Coosada and costing the town tens of thousands of dollars in permit fees and administrative fees, plus could cost them millions of dollars in economic development impact if we decided to move the project. Moving down the road does nothing but benefit us to save us money with all of these fees and future tax revenue but at the least would still bring the benefits of Coosada enjoying good high school athletics.

So, here we are, finally at the conclusion of this botched media story that was released to the public with half the story and half the information. It seems we live in a society that is more important to break a story first than it is to get all the facts together from all sides involved. I stand FIRM in my statement that USA Academy will not be delayed from playing football in fall 2020, and we will always follow proper procedural steps to follow local, state, and federal code. Yes, we are enrolling students online and will be able to service these students with the best education available as we prepare for our Spring sports programs and fall preparation.

Dustin DeVaughn
USA Academy Founder

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

The media got it wrong again as usual. It’s crazy how they’ll print anything in order to be the first to “break” a story. Sad. #fakenews

But they did not. There has been no applications filed by USA or Dusty. It has all been informal. 

This is his veiled threat at the town is all. It's all kinda goofy still if you ask me. 

Why would the mayor be on record saying they need rezoning and they haven't applied at this time. 

Then Dusty calls up his "good friend" and they write a bit of a softball story which still includes the mayor saying they'll need rezoning. 

These matters of applications for permits and the like are matters of public record. The original article wasn't factually wrong at all, nor does he claim it to be. He's on the fake news playbook bullshit.

• Like 1

Here is a different story...

https://elmoreautauganews.com/2020/01/03/usa-academy-possibly-delayed-due-to-improper-procedural-steps/

If he wasn't so intentionally misleading with his sales pitch, he wouldn't be in damage control today, backing off some of his original posts and statements about starting construction. Morphing the story into starting temporary shelter and the like. 

New York style central park in backwoods Alabama is the funniest stuff I have heard in a while. 

I heard another guy that owns land next to Dustin's  property said he will also volunteer as a board member if they will have a New York style subway for the entire town and an exact copy of the empire state built next to Bulldog Robinson's hog farm. Maybe they can build a trump Tower while at it.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

New York style central park in backwoods Alabama is the funniest stuff I have heard in a while. 

I heard another guy that owns land next to Dustin's  property said he will also volunteer as a board member if they will have a New York style subway for the entire town and an exact copy of the empire state built next to Bulldog Robinson's hog farm. Maybe they can build a trump Tower while at it.

Some time you gotta grease a few wheels to get the ball rolling 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

What that says, is, even if he does file a rezone request on the property, he'll be in for a fight with at least that lady, and potentially others. 

I can't speculate on how zoning applications work over there, but, here a notice gets posted on the property for a length of time announcing the date of the hearing and an article runs in the legal section of the paper during that same time to give residents the opportunity to know when the rezoning meeting will be held and for them to have the opportunity to speak or raise concerns before the commission hearing or during it. 

Again, these are all things that point to the intent to start construction on 1/20/20 as half baked. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Here is a different story...

https://elmoreautauganews.com/2020/01/03/usa-academy-possibly-delayed-due-to-improper-procedural-steps/

If he wasn't so intentionally misleading with his sales pitch, he wouldn't be in damage control today, backing off some of his original posts and statements about starting construction. Morphing the story into starting temporary shelter and the like. 

There is a law in Elmore county that states if it does not have the yellow tag on it you can't use it. 

USA academy backer looking at the property video

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

What that says, is, even if he does file a rezone request on the property, he'll be in for a fight with at least that lady, and potentially others. 

I can't speculate on how zoning applications work over there, but, here a notice gets posted on the property for a length of time announcing the date of the hearing and an article runs in the legal section of the paper during that same time to give residents the opportunity to know when the rezoning meeting will be held and for them to have the opportunity to speak or raise concerns before the commission. 

Again, these are all things that point to the intent to start construction on 1/20/20 as half baked. 

My understanding is that Bulldog Robinson is the zoning commissioner for the northwest part of the town.  

• Haha 1