National Tournament 2020

Columbiafan

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

You think IMG would score 35 points on that STA defense?

Yes. I think that would be the game when the dam bursts. STA's defense is insane, but I think the reason IMG wins this game is because they slightly figure out STA's defense and put 35 on them. This would be the score three out of every ten IMG victories over STA. However, this is definitely not a common occurrence.

54 minutes ago, WCACguy said:

Maybe true...last year...if this season gets played I look for IMG to get revenge on SFA and go undefeated...probably being the mythical champs.

They may very well do so but I would definitely put a asterisk beside it because it would mean that IMG needed probably at least half the national championship threats to take the year off and then snatch players from teams who wouldn't play just to finally get a national title it shows me they're not as important a deal as they think they are 

1 minute ago, ngdawg said:

Yes. I think that would be the game when the dam bursts. STA's defense is insane, but I think the reason IMG wins this game is because they slightly figure out STA's defense and put 35 on them. This would be the score three out of every ten IMG victories over STA. However, this is definitely not a common occurrence.

But what on IMG offense makes you think they could put up that kind of point total, I didn't see anything with IMG this year on offense that impressed me, defense was good for most part but nothing about the offense made me think I would have seen them as being any threat to STA, much less put up 35 points on them lol

3 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

But what on IMG offense makes you think they could put up that kind of point total, I didn't see anything with IMG this year on offense that impressed me, defense was good for most part but nothing about the offense made me think I would have seen them as being any threat to STA, much less put up 35 points on them lol

It's just a feeling. Something along the lines of how North Gwinnett's defense allowed an average of 11.23 points per game, yet allowed 49 to Lowndes. It's just one of those outlier performances by IMG's offense and STA's lack of defense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ngdawg said:

It's just a feeling. Something along the lines of how North Gwinnett's defense allowed an average of 11.23 points per game, yet allowed 49 to Lowndes. It's just one of those outlier performances by IMG's offense and STA's lack of defense.

I guess I can see where you coming from

I don't agree but I respect that justification, personally only way I could have seen IMG beating STA last year would be like a 9-6 type of game where they play good field position, even though the QB for STA isn't as good as people are trying to make him be I would trust him more in a shootout type of game than the IMG offense

• Like 1

I guess I can see where you coming from

I don't agree but I respect that justification, personally only way I could have seen IMG beating STA last year would be like a 9-6 type of game where they play good field position, even though the QB for STA isn't as good as people are trying to make him be I would trust him more in a shootout type of game than the IMG offense

I don't know of a better way to explain this: games that are hyped up for one team's defense/offense being fantastic rarely go as planned. For example, a game where two teams have great defenses is expected to have a 10-7 score. However, many times it ends up being like 35-28 or something along those lines. Super Bowl 48 between Seattle and Denver was the #1 defense versus the #1 offense. And yet, the final score was 43-8. The best offense only scored 8 points. I've seen stuff like this happen all the time, so I went with the unlikely score. It seems like flawed logic, but once you keep track of how many times this actually happens, it may shock you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

I don't know of a better way to explain this: games that are hyped up for one team's defense/offense being fantastic rarely go as planned. For example, a game where two teams have great defenses is expected to have a 10-7 score. However, many times it ends up being like 35-28 or something along those lines. Super Bowl 48 between Seattle and Denver was the #1 defense versus the #1 offense. And yet, the final score was 43-8. The best offense only scored 8 points. I've seen stuff like this happen all the time, so I went with the unlikely score. It seems like flawed logic, but once you keep track of how many times this actually happens, it may shock you.

That actually is a good example but I will say this in rebuttal

If you look at matchups in super bowl history involving number 1 offense vs number 1 defense it usually favors the defense 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/super-bowl-51-new-england-patriots-atlanta-falcons-number-1-defense-vs-offense-matchups-49ers-seahawks-packers-steelers-chiefs-giants-020117

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

That actually is a good example but I will say this in rebuttal

If you look at matchups in super bowl history involving number 1 offense vs number 1 defense it usually favors the defense 

True. But the lower you go in skill level, the more unpredictable it becomes. I gave the example about North Gwinnett and I'll give one about Mill Creek, a team who played North Gwinnett. The Mill Creek-North Gwinnett game was projected to be a low scoring matchup. The final score was 45-3. Texas is known for its powerful offenses. Take North Shore. In two key early season matchups, they scored 21 to Katy's 24 and scored 24, inking out a victory by 3 points over Westfield. This happened to Duncanville thrice, as they scored 24, 28, and 17 in some of their biggest games of the year. Things don't always go as planned, especially as you lower the quality of football that is played, from NFL to college to high school. 

• Like 1

The reverse logic also applies, but more rarely. There are several times when a team is projected to easily handle another, and they only barely win or even lose. The best example for this that I can think of is Ohio State at Maryland in 2018. Maryland has never even come close to Ohio State before, and they shocked the Buckeyes by laying 51 on their defense. Ultimately, they lost 52-51, but they definitely caught the Buckeyes off guard. No one expected Maryland to even come close to that number of points, but they surprised everyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ngdawg said:

I agree with taking Lowndes over Armwood. Armwood is similar to North Gwinnett and NG got thrashed by Lowndes. Lowndes would beat Armwood 35-18. Dutch Fork vs. North Gwinnett would be a great game. North Gwinnett does have the tougher schedule, but Dutch Fork is a very strong team. If the game were at North Gwinnett, I would pick NG by a score of 27-24. If it were neutral or at Dutch Fork, DF would win 35-24. STA and IMG seem to be very equal to me. That game is a tossup, but if I had to choose, I would say IMG by a score of 35-31. 

I could see most of those playing out, but not Dutch Fork.   Dutch Fork wouldn’t know what do if they lined up with Armwood.  Mallard creek was owning their LOS, but they couldn’t cover.   They still tied them (Creek was winning most of the game) and the game was at DF.   I just wasn’t impressed by the top teams in South Carolina this year.   

41 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I could see most of those playing out, but not Dutch Fork.   Dutch Fork wouldn’t know what do if they lined up with Armwood.  Mallard creek was owning their LOS, but they couldn’t cover.   They still tied them (Creek was winning most of the game) and the game was at DF.   I just wasn’t impressed by the top teams in South Carolina this year.   

Do you really think North Gwinnett could beat them? Dutch Fork was ranked in the top 10 in the country in some polls, and top 25 in almost all of them. It's hard to see them being overrated, especially having won a lot of their games through blowouts. 

32 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Do you really think North Gwinnett could beat them? Dutch Fork was ranked in the top 10 in the country in some polls, and top 25 in almost all of them. It's hard to see them being overrated, especially having won a lot of their games through blowouts. 

Yes I do (unless Armwood was a fluke) Competition just wasn’t that great.  Rankings will always have the top team from different states ranked high but from what I saw of Dutch Fork they would just be a good team in GA (that’s being nice)

• Like 1

Just now, 954gator said:

Yes I do (unless Armwood was a fluke) Competition just wasn’t that great.  Rankings will always have the too team from different states ranked high but from what I saw of Dutch Fork they would just be a good team in GA (that’s being nice)

Armwood was definitely not a fluke. In fact, I would take NG by 10 if the game were played later in the year at North Gwinnett. And I see, that makes sense. Dutch Fork was supposed to play Brookwood this year, a team that is average. I wanted to see how Brookwood would hang with Dutch Fork, because NG beat Brookwood 37-2 in 2018. That would have been a good evaluation. I'd pay to watch North Gwinnett play Dutch Fork.

On 7/3/2020 at 6:42 PM, ngdawg said:

I like it, for whatever reason, when I go to print, the preview is out of whack.... I’ll try the laptop... may be a software issue with iPhone. 

bgw

3 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I like it, for whatever reason, when I go to print, the preview is out of whack.... I’ll try the laptop... may be a software issue with iPhone. 

bgw

It's a pretty big bracket, so printing it on one page may have the font too small to see. I'm not really a tech guy, so I don't know how to fix it, sorry.

3 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

It's a pretty big bracket, so printing it on one page may have the font too small to see. I'm not really a tech guy, so I don't know how to fix it, sorry.

No worries, left my laptop at home.... so it’s fixable. Definitely will find a way. The scrolling kinda messes with me processing it. 

bgw

1 minute ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

No worries, left my laptop at home.... so it’s fixable. Definitely will find a way. The scrolling kinda messes with me processing it. 

bgw

Hope it works! I may try to fill out this bracket on my own and see who ends up in my predicted finals. There'll be a good bit of reasonable upsets in my bracket, I'll tell ya that.

23 hours ago, ngdawg said:

The reverse logic also applies, but more rarely. There are several times when a team is projected to easily handle another, and they only barely win or even lose. The best example for this that I can think of is Ohio State at Maryland in 2018. Maryland has never even come close to Ohio State before, and they shocked the Buckeyes by laying 51 on their defense. Ultimately, they lost 52-51, but they definitely caught the Buckeyes off guard. No one expected Maryland to even come close to that number of points, but they surprised everyone.

I was rooting for the Terps just because of the underdog effect. 

Pissed Terps didn’t get the dub, pretty sure you weren’t too happy but relieved to get the dub. 

bgw

1 minute ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I was rooting for the Terps just because of the underdog effect. 

Pissed Terps didn’t get the dub, pretty sure you weren’t too happy but relieved to get the dub. 

bgw

I was pissed. We deserved to lose that game, and I knew we didn't deserve a playoff berth after that. Terrible defensive effort by the Buckeyes. That team should be erased from the record books. Except Haskins, he deserves to be remembered.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 11:05 AM, Columbiafan said:

National Tournament final matchups

Finals 

Mater Dei (CA) vs St Thomas Aquinas (FL) 

Consultation game

North Shore (TX) vs St Joseph Prep (PA)

Voting closes Saturday at 8pm EST

Logopit_1593664761075.jpg.ea748cdf9ddd16a132996e12527f4024.jpg

Logopit_1593664833944.jpg.a01c82b87adfacd06456d80cd11d7d94.jpg

@Omaha Vol @BUFORDGAWOLVES @954gator @AztecPadre @Sweetlarry @LT4Spartan06 @Sammyswordsman @Horsefly @ngdawg @DarterBlue @HurricaneNick @ChimpGrip

• Haha 1