High School Basketball: All-Time Starting Five in each State....

RedZone

I'm not schooled in PA basketball history like some might be but the ones I hear most during the season when they talk old school PA players;

Kobe Bryant for sure

Billy Owens (late 80's in PA high school)

Rasheed Wallace (late 80's/early 90's maybe)

Wilt Chamberlain late 60's maybe

Jerry Macnamara

my sixth man off the bench would be Ed McCaffrey - I know he played football at Stanford and Dcnver but the dude was a beast on the basketball court in high school!!!

2 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

I'm not schooled in PA basketball history like some might be but the ones I hear most during the season when they talk old school PA players;

Kobe Bryant for sure

Jerry Macnamara

my sixth man off the bench would be Ed McCaffrey - I know he played football at Stanford and Dcnver but the dude was a beast on the basketball court in high school!!!

PA = #5

5. Pennsylvania 703.26
Wilt Chamberlain, Overbrook (Philadelphia), 247.26
Kobe Bryant, Lower Merion (Ardmore), 172.74
Paul Arizin,  La Salle College (Wyndmoor), 108.8
Kyle Lowry, Cardinal Dougherty (Philadelphia), 97.06
Earl Monroe, John Bartram (Philadelphia), 77.4

• Like 1

Ima take you on a trip back to 1988, first round of the Utah State basketball playoffs.

A plucky point guard who lived by the “never met a shot I wouldn’t take” mantra by the name of Sweets came flying up the court and took a pass on the right wing. In one motion, Sweets pulled up like the sniper he was, only to have his shot blocked about twenty rows up by Shawn Bradley. 

On another possession, never one to shy away from scoring, Sweets took his man off the baseline and threw up a running one hander that Mr. Bradley promptly spiked and almost killed one of his teams cheerleaders. Still can’t believe the ball didn’t pop.

At halftime, Coach Weymie is going batshit in the lockerroom. He said, and I quote, “And we’ve got guys taking running one handers that Larry Bird wouldn’t take IN A FUCKING GAME OF HORSE!!!”

Which was total bullshit, because Larry Bird absolutely would’ve taken that shot in a game of HORSE! 

So fuck Shawn Bradley, though I pray he recovers from paralysis he is experiencing.

• Haha 4

The cities of Marietta and Norcross produce NBA and Overseas players like Mosquitoes.... 

Collin Sexton (Pebblebrook HS -Mableton/Marietta,GA) 

Jaylen Brown (Wheeler HS -Marietta GA) 

Dale Ellis (Marietta HS) 

Shareef Abdur-Rahim (Wheeler HS ) 

Micheal Brogdon (Norcross HS) 

Jodie Meeks (Norcross HS) 

Isaiah Wilkins (Greater Atlanta Christian-Norcross,GA) 

The list is much longer but damn... 

14 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

The cities of Marietta and Norcross produce NBA and Overseas players like Mosquitoes.... 

Collin Sexton (Pebblebrook HS -Mableton/Marietta,GA) 

Jaylen Brown (Wheeler HS -Marietta GA) 

Dale Ellis (Marietta HS) 

Shareef Abdur-Rahim (Wheeler HS ) 

Micheal Brogdon (Norcross HS) 

Jodie Meeks (Norcross HS) 

Isaiah Wilkins (Greater Atlanta Christian-Norcross,GA) 

The list is much longer but damn... 

Sexton was paid handsomely by the gumps. Took a pay cut when he went pro.......

6 minutes ago, Sweetlarry said:

Sexton was paid handsomely by the gumps. Took a pay cut when he went pro.......

By the time he was asenior he had 28 offers: 

USC

UCLA 

Georgia 

LSU

UCONN 

Stanford 

Kansas 

Kentucky 

Michigan 

Michigan State

Alabama 

Auburn 

Arizona 

Syracuse

Georgia 

Georgia Tech 

Florida 

Florida State 

Colorado 

Villanova 

Notre Dame 

Indiana 

Ohio State 

Cincinnati 

Wichita State 

Tennessee  

North Carolina 

Oklahoma 

Oregon 

But Bama... 

Like I've said before I will never knock  a kid for getting a scholarship no matter where it's at... thats a good thing and I congratulate em for it. But some of these college choices baffle me... 

If It was me personally  I wouldve went with Syracuse or Villanova 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedZone said:

PA = #5

5. Pennsylvania 703.26
Wilt Chamberlain, Overbrook (Philadelphia), 247.26
Kobe Bryant, Lower Merion (Ardmore), 172.74
Paul Arizin,  La Salle College (Wyndmoor), 108.8
Kyle Lowry, Cardinal Dougherty (Philadelphia), 97.06
Earl Monroe, John Bartram (Philadelphia), 77.4

oh shit, I misread your post.  anyway I never heard of the last three so they either really old or not as good as the others on my list, lol.  where is the list from?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

Kobe Bryant for sure

Jerry Macnamara

That’s not fair, Wilt chamberlain averaged like 1000 points a game, That’s a cheat code 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Robert Parrish was a tough old school guy you wanted on your side in a street fight. Saw him and Celtics vs Hawks several time.

The Chief also had one of the stranger college careers anyone could:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/27574/how-ncaa-made-robert-parish-disappear

How the NCAA Made Robert Parish Disappear

MARCH 17, 2011
Steve Lipofsky/Corbis

STEVE LIPOFSKY/CORBIS

Hall of Fame center Robert Parish’s place in NBA history is rock solid. He won three titles with the Boston Celtics dynasty of the 80s (and added a fourth as a backup with the 1997 Chicago Bulls), made nine All-Star teams, and holds the league’s career record for games played with 1611. He must have had a dominant college career, too, right?

Yes and no. Parish was awesome, but according to the NCAA, the games he played in at Louisiana’s Centenary never took place. These competitions weren’t vacated like so many other rule-breaking squads’ wins have been, either. The games technically didn’t count even as they were being played. Let’s look at how an all-time great wound up in such a strange position.

Only a Test

Parish’s odd college career traces its roots back to his high school days and an old NCAA rule. When Parish was gearing up for his collegiate days in 1972, the NCAA used a formula known as “the 1.6 rule” that utilized standardized test scores and high school grades to predict student-athletes’ college GPAs. If a player figured to earn at least a 1.600 GPA, he or she was eligible to play NCAA sports. Parish hadn’t taken the SAT, so Centenary converted his score from an equivalent standardized admissions exam, the ACT, and plugged it into the NCAA's predictive formula.

According to a terrific feature Sam Moses wrote for Sports Illustrated in 1975, Centenary had made similar conversions to fit scores into the formula a dozen times over the previous two years. This time the college wasn't so lucky, and the NCAA warned Centenary that the maneuver was illegal. Centenary could avoid major NCAA sanctions, though, if it would rescind the scholarships of Parish and four incoming teammates who had benefited from similar conversions.

They Fought the Law

If this situation arose today, the school would almost certainly roll over to the NCAA’s wishes. But tiny Centenary, then the smallest school in Division I, held firm. The school argued that there was nothing in the rules forbidding such a test score conversion, and it wasn’t just going to suddenly tell five kids they couldn’t go to college because of some arcane NCAA policy. (As Peter May noted in his Celtics book The Big Three, the truly curious part of Centenary’s defiance is that the school could have simply gotten Parish to take the SAT and establish his eligibility. He would have only needed to earn a meager 450 on the test to become eligible.)

Of course, fighting the NCAA is only marginally less futile than fighting city hall. The NCAA dropped the hammer on Centenary to the tune of six years of probation in which the Gentlemen couldn’t appear in the postseason or have their statistics reported in NCAA publications. Even though the NCAA repealed the 1.6 Rule just four days after announcing Centenary’s sanctions, it refused to budge on Parish and his Centenary teammates.

?width=600&height=300&url=%2F%2Fimages.3lift.com%2F12928940.jpg&logo_exclude=NW,NE,SE,SW&maxLogoPct=2&logo_y_pct=3&v=16&logo=%2F%2Fimages.3lift.com%2F12895609.png&logo_x_pct=3&minLogoPct=2?width=600&height=300&url=%2F%2Fimages.3lift.com%2F12928939.jpg&logo_exclude=NW,NE,SE,SW&maxLogoPct=2&logo_y_pct=3&v=16&logo=%2F%2Fimages.3lift.com%2F12895609.png&logo_x_pct=3&minLogoPct=2?width=600&height=300&url=%2F%2Fimages.3lift.com%2F12928941.jpg&logo_exclude=NW,NE,SE,SW&maxLogoPct=2&logo_y_pct=3&v=19&logo=%2F%2Fimages.3lift.com%2F12895609.png&logo_x_pct=3&minLogoPct=2
12895609_w90.png
SPONSORED BY LINCOLN
The cold is no match for this comfort. Warm up this winter with dual-zone automatic climate control in the 2021 Lincoln Corsair.
SEE MORE

At this point the story takes an odd turn: Rather than give in to the NCAA’s demands, Centenary decided to run out a team full of players the NCAA had ruled ineligible. More amazingly, rather than establishing their eligibility in order to transfer to schools that weren’t on NCAA lockdown, the players stuck around. Parish later told Moses, “I didn’t transfer because Centenary did nothing wrong. And I have no regrets. None.”

In Court and on the Court

Centenary even took to the courtroom to try to get the players’ eligibility reinstated, but it was no use. A federal suit ended in a judge denying the players’ request. By the time this first case had run its course, Parish’s freshman season had ended. During Parish’s junior year, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals denied the players' appeal and upheld every element of the lower court’s decision.

ADVERTISING

While the Gents weren’t having any luck in court, they were tearing things up on the court, as a team with a seven-foot future Hall of Famer will tend to do. Parish led the Gentlemen to an 87-21 record over four years, including a 22-5 mark his senior season. He also put up ludicrous stat lines – for his collegiate career he averaged nearly 22 points and 17 rebounds a game – but the NCAA probation meant that nobody outside of Centenary’s fans, fans of the NCAA teams the Gents were dismantling, and pro scouts really knew about the monstrous career he was having. It’s easy to see why Moses’ SIpiece on Parish bore the title “Invisible in the Post.”

Parish didn’t have to play in such obscurity, though. He could have jumped to the ABA and cashed in as a professional player. The Utah Stars drafted him after his freshman season, but Parish refused to make the leap to the pros. Instead he stayed at Centenary and kept winning games that – at least in the NCAA’s eyes – weren’t technically taking place. The relative obscurity didn't put a damper on Parish's NBA prospects - when he finally made his ascent to the pro ranks, the Golden State Warriors selected him with the eighth overall pick in the 1976 NBA Draft. 

The Greatest There Never Was

ADVERTISING

the-chief.jpg?itok=CQS_F8rH

Parish graduated from Centenary in 1976, but the NCAA still hasn’t eased its stance on his numbers. To this day, none of Parish’s eye-popping stats appear in the NCAA’s record books, even though his career average of 16.9 rebounds per game would hold the post-1973 record by nearly two boards a game. The only real relic of the Gents’ dominant run with Parish in the middle is the 14 weeks the team spent on the old Associated Press Top 20 poll. Parish’s school days might just be the greatest college career that never happened.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RedZone said:

Louisiana checks in at #4

4. Louisiana, 732.12
Karl Malone, Summerfield, 234.6
Robert Parish, Woodlawn-Shreveport (Shreveport), 147
Bob Pettit, Baton Rouge, 136.05
Elvin Hayes, Britton, 120.76
Paul Millsap, Grambling, 93.75

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/e4f04XcSDUujB1ruuznr1g/high-school-basketball--all-time-starting-five-in-each-state.htm

Louisiana has 2 of Top 10 All-Time NBA scorers on their 5.

#2 Karl Malone (aka The Mailman)

#10 Elvin Hayes (aka The Big E)

Points Leaders
RK PLAYER PTS
1 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 38,387
2 Karl Malone 36,928
3 LeBRON JAMES 35,283
4 Kobe Bryant 33,643
5 Michael Jordan 32,292
6 Dirk Nowitzki 31,560
7 Wilt Chamberlain 31,419
8 Shaquille O'Neal 28,596
9 Moses Malone 27,409
10 Elvin Hayes 27,313

Robert Parish was the man.

I realize this is just for fun but it's generous of them to give Massachusetts two boarding school players from elsewhere (Steven Adams and Jarrett Jack) and a guy who left for boarding school in North Carolina after his sophomore year (Jimmy Walker). If they're going to do boarding school kids they easily could have assembled teams for New Hampshire and Maine.

• Haha 1