High School Basketball: All-Time Starting Five in each State....

RedZone

2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

When DeMatha ended Power Memorial’s 71 game winning streak on their second try in ‘65 (only game Kareem/Lew Alcindor lost in hs) Kareem went into DeMatha’s locker room and congratulated them. (Three players on that DeMatha team played in the NBA.)

Off topic:  I have actually shaken Kareem’s hand.  Twenty or so years ago my wife and  I had dinner at Chinois on Main in Santa Monica.  When we walked out I stupidly was not looking where I was going.  Kareem, sitting at a table had his legs out and I tripped over one.  I didn’t fall but he helped “catch me.”  Afterwards I apologized profusely and he shook my hand.

Can I mention how big of a hand Kareem Abdul Jabbar has?

Did any of the Carlisle teams w/ Billy Owens come down your way in the mid 1980's and play in any tournies?  

36 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Never heard of Wulfemeyer . Can you tell us more about him ?

He graduated Troy High in Fullerton in '74.  Every game from med Frosh to Senior year was sold out.   He was a shooting guard who shot 53% from 22 ft +  This was before the 3 point shot.  He destroyed the State scoring records at the time.  Kind of like a Pete Maravich persona.

Mark was a Parade All-American in '74 (Same year as Moses Malone)

Recruited by Wooden and the Angles (94 mph fastball).  You would have heard of him if he played for Tarkanian, but he chose USC.  Bob Boyd's offense was to rigid so he decided to sign with the Angels, then hurt his arm.

MARK WULFEMEYER
Mark was an Orange County high school scoring legend at Troy. The 14-year old freshman scored 27 points in his first game (no three-point shots in 1971). He went onto a record setting prep career, averaging 27.5 points per game and eclipsed the all-time state scoring records by almost 500 points.Oct 15, 2019
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

Did any of the Carlisle teams w/ Billy Owens come down your way in the mid 1980's and play in any tournies?  

3 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Honestly don’t remember.

Looked this up--In 1984 (Owens' freshman year) Carlisle lost 81-63 to DeMatha in the final of the Beach Ball Classic in Myrtle Beach. Carlisle's Jeff Lebo who played at UNC scored 41 points in that game, while Danny Ferry had 29 for DeMatha. Carlisle had beaten St. Anthony's in the semifinal. In 1986 Carlisle lost 48-46 to SJC in a tournament in Altoona; SJC beat Baltimore Dunbar with Sam Cassell for the championship. Doesn't look like they ever played in the DC area though.

In Owens senior year Carlisle won the Raleigh Times Holiday Classic, which I think is the same tournament now known as the John Wall Invitational, beating Christ the King from NYC in the final. Future Pro Bowler Lee Woodall was also on that Carlisle team.

• Thanks 2

On 3/29/2021 at 7:40 PM, MA Fan said:

Looked this up--In 1984 (Owens' freshman year) Carlisle lost 81-63 to DeMatha in the final of the Beach Ball Classic in Myrtle Beach. Carlisle's Jeff Lebo who played at UNC scored 41 points in that game, while Danny Ferry had 29 for DeMatha. Carlisle had beaten St. Anthony's in the semifinal. In 1986 Carlisle lost 48-46 to SJC in a tournament in Altoona; SJC beat Baltimore Dunbar with Sam Cassell for the championship. Doesn't look like they ever played in the DC area though.

In Owens senior year Carlisle won the Raleigh Times Holiday Classic, which I think is the same tournament now known as the John Wall Invitational, beating Christ the King from NYC in the final. Future Pro Bowler Lee Woodall was also on that Carlisle team.

FWIW I saw DM (Danny Ferry, Carlton Valentine) beat Mater Dei at Takoma Academy (outside of DC) in ‘84.  Sat on the MD side.  Fantastic 100-150 who came from SoCal for the game.  In fact my wife and I flew from DC to CA and were married in Malibu.  There’s more to this but best I stop for now.

I must add this:  just saw the broadcast of Montverde and Compass Prep.  The top games today have nothing in common with years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

It’s birth states.

I do not believe it is birth states via Maxpreps because Jordan is listed as NC where he played HS ball and not NY where he was born.   Plus they mentioned that Curry was beat out of  NC rankings in the intro paragraph.  Also it is listing their HS alma maters next to the name.  I think it’s going by high school team.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 6:15 PM, sausmann9 said:

I'm not schooled in PA basketball history like some might be but the ones I hear most during the season when they talk old school PA players;

Kobe Bryant for sure

Billy Owens (late 80's in PA high school)

Rasheed Wallace (late 80's/early 90's maybe)

Wilt Chamberlain late 60's maybe

Jerry Macnamara

my sixth man off the bench would be Ed McCaffrey - I know he played football at Stanford and Dcnver but the dude was a beast on the basketball court in high school!!!

Chamberlain, late 1950's....

• Thanks 1