De La Salle is a machine

BobbySanchez

1 hour ago, dntn31 said:

Just like they were in '12 and '14 and '15 and '16.

You can easily dismiss and throw out this current '16 team due to QB play alone.  The '12 team had 5 losses. The '14 and '15 teams were damn good, but last I checked neither won SS or CA titles as the '13 team did. And that team had to beat really good CC and DLS teams to do it.

You can believe what you want, but the consensus at the time among those that have followed CA/SoCal for decades is that '13 SJB is among the best teams ever. The teams that have followed them achieved nothing to take that crown away.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

You can easily dismiss and throw out this current '16 team due to QB play alone.

You can't easily dismiss the overall talent of a team based on one player. Sure QB is arguably the most important player, but being "loaded on both sides of the ball" is not defined by just your QB. Also, I don't believe your perception of Mitchell is his fault or is indicative of a lack of talent. I think you can blame Chad Johnson and/or Negro for trying to force something on Mitchell that he was not/not yet ready for earlier in the season. The schemes and play-calling at the end of the year have been much more suited for Mitchell's strengths and I think the results speak for themselves. Also, Mitchell already has offers from Pac-12 schools, so your bar is being set pretty high if your definition of "drop off" is going from one Pac-12 QB to another.

The '12 team had 5 losses.

They had one loss on the field by 3 points to a pretty good Poly team, and the only reason they lost that game was due to an act of God (fog) and a phantom JuJu Smith catch (that wasn't a catch). The same core group of players that played on '13 also played on '12 (minus Sean McGrew).

The '14 and '15 teams were damn good, but last I checked neither won SS or CA titles as the '13 team did.

That still doesn't say anything about the talent level of the teams. Talent isn't the only factor that goes into winning, unless you have a severely limited understanding of the game at this level. Injuries, turnovers, play calling, the emotional state of 14-18 year olds etc. are all extremely important factors when you are playing tough competition game-in, game-out. If there wasn't an hour delay before the '14 Gorman game and the team actually showed up for the 1st half and if Rosen and McGrew don't commit uncharacteristic turnovers in the '14 finals and if Quentin Davis doesn't get injured the week before the PAC-5 finals, things look a lot different and people who perceive the talent levels of teams based solely on W-L suddenly start calling '14 and '15 the greatest team to ever, yada, yada, you get the point. It's extremely difficult to win every game at any level of football as long as you play decent competition. SJB didn't go undefeated in '13 because the '13 team was any better than the other teams from '12 - '16. They were able to catch lightning in a bottle, where none of the other extenuating circumstances that can influence the outcome of games (like the 15 phantom holding calls in the 2nd half against DLS) actually ended up making a difference. If Gavin Wyndes (this is not a guy who you typically use to define the talent of a team) doesn't intercept that DLS pass in the 4th quarter and they march down the field and score the game winning TD, would that make SJB any worse of a team in '13, simply because some "unknown" backup made the play of his life when it counted?

17 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

My response was clearly in reference to the "same to you" part of the comment.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to the game in Sacramento.

Dntn, a little miscommunication, I guess. I wasn't replying to your comment. I had just asked Glory if he was going to the game. The "Same to you" was me asking the same question of Glory to you. A little lost in translation I realize.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dntn31 said:

You can't easily dismiss the overall talent of a team based on one player. Sure QB is arguably the most important player, but being "loaded on both sides of the ball" is not defined by just your QB. Also, I don't believe your perception of Mitchell is his fault or is indicative of a lack of talent. I think you can blame Chad Johnson and/or Negro for trying to force something on Mitchell that he was not/not yet ready for earlier in the season. The schemes and play-calling at the end of the year have been much more suited for Mitchell's strengths and I think the results speak for themselves. Also, Mitchell already has offers from Pac-12 schools, so your bar is being set pretty high if your definition of "drop off" is going from one Pac-12 QB to another.

They had one loss on the field by 3 points to a pretty good Poly team, and the only reason they lost that game was due to an act of God (fog) and a phantom JuJu Smith catch (that wasn't a catch). The same core group of players that played on '13 also played on '12 (minus Sean McGrew).

That still doesn't say anything about the talent level of the teams. Talent isn't the only factor that goes into winning, unless you have a severely limited understanding of the game at this level. Injuries, turnovers, play calling, the emotional state of 14-18 year olds etc. are all extremely important factors when you are playing tough competition game-in, game-out. If there wasn't an hour delay before the '14 Gorman game and the team actually showed up for the 1st half and if Rosen and McGrew don't commit uncharacteristic turnovers in the '14 finals and if Quentin Davis doesn't get injured the week before the PAC-5 finals, things look a lot different and people who perceive the talent levels of teams based solely on W-L suddenly start calling '14 and '15 the greatest team to ever, yada, yada, you get the point. It's extremely difficult to win every game at any level of football as long as you play decent competition. SJB didn't go undefeated in '13 because the '13 team was any better than the other teams from '12 - '16. They were able to catch lightning in a bottle, where none of the other extenuating circumstances that can influence the outcome of games (like the 15 phantom holding calls in the 2nd half against DLS) actually ended up making a difference. If Gavin Wyndes (this is not a guy who you typically use to define the talent of a team) doesn't intercept that DLS pass in the 4th quarter and they march down the field and score the game winning TD, would that make SJB any worse of a team in '13, simply because some "unknown" backup made the play of his life when it counted?

15 phantom holding calls? Really? They were holding a lot. Prob should have been more.

8 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

15 phantom holding calls? Really? They were holding a lot. Prob should have been more.

15 is definitely hyperbolic, but there were a lot. Good thing I threw in that one aside so the main point of my argument could be conveniently ignored. xD

• Like 1

Just now, Wosinc said:

I think this should rightfully be left to NOR.

He is legendary for his unrivaled ability to back up his positions with lengthy, well-reasoned, and data-packed responses.

Do you want this thread to get sidetracked? Because, that's how you get this thread sidetracked.

1 hour ago, GloryDays said:

I think there should be a significant amount of onus placed upon an individual who takes such a contrarian stance on a subject.

If being contrarian means opposing a simplistic, black & white view based solely on Ws and Ls, then I don't mind that characterization. However, I've already done more than provide more than flippant, one-word responses.

1 hour ago, GloryDays said:

We shall see.  I'm looking at picking up some shifts that weekend so they can't make me come in over the Xmas weekend.  

Glory, always appreciated your post. Esp the humor. How do you see the Open game as far as DLS goes? For me, its hard to judge  how much they have improved given the teams they have played. I'm hoping they shock the world but I don't know If they even have a punchers chance.

1 hour ago, dntn31 said:

If being contrarian means opposing a simplistic, black & white view based solely on Ws and Ls, then I don't mind that characterization. However, I've already done more than provide more than flippant, one-word responses.

Hardly a view based soley on W/L record, but having that kind of talent AND taking care of business on the field kinda answers most questions about whether or not '13 was the best SJB showcase of the last five years.

I did read your post breaking down the different years, it was well done.