De La Salle is a machine

BobbySanchez

3 hours ago, The Comish said:

Pre-emptive excuses should be filed in the Excuse thread.

**The Sac State field held up fine during the Typhoon last year in the Bellermine vs. Mission Viejo game.

Not sure it held up to well for Bellarmine, and in Mission Viejo they are all surfers so the advantage was clearly with them.... ? Diablos

9 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

I thought CC was going to win it too.  They just looked unstoppable and for once had a decent defense.  But DLS did their thang. 

Bosco was the only Ca. team last year able to handle DLS. They were IMO our best team... would not have lost to CC if their QB had not gone into the game with an injury sustained earlier in the week. 

10 hours ago, Gospeeder said:

Bosco was the only Ca. team last year able to handle DLS. They were IMO our best team... would not have lost to CC if their QB had not gone into the game with an injury sustained earlier in the week. 

I still maintain pre-Davis-injury '15 SJB was the best team in the Negro era (including '13)...

• 12 running clocks in 13 games (OLu)
  • 26-2 Turnover ratio
  • 100 Offensive TDs/127 possessions
    • 4 Made FGs
    • 1 Missed FG
    • 17 Punts
    • 5 Turnovers on downs
  • 10 Defensive/Special Teams TDs
  • 48.2 MOV (59.4 - 11.2)
    • Had the best MOV against 12/13 opponents (OLu)

5 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

I still maintain pre-Davis-injury '15 SJB was the best team in the Negro era (including '13)...

• 12 running clocks in 13 games (OLu)
  • 26-2 Turnover ratio
  • 100 Offensive TDs/127 possessions
    • 4 Made FGs
    • 1 Missed FG
    • 17 Punts
    • 5 Turnovers on downs
  • 10 Defensive/Special Teams TDs
  • 48.2 MOV (59.4 - 11.2)
    • Had the best MOV against 12/13 opponents (OLu)

Statistically you have a strong argument and I largely agree   

Observationally, and IMO, the 2016 is more physically tough in certain areas.   The run game for example.   Flowers brings an ability we didn't really have last year.   Get yards after contact.   it takes sometimes 3 defenders to bring that kid down.  Drives don't stall out as we're able to get 1st downs more consistently.      and also the dline is more physical this year than last. Hurts not having Spina though.  

The offensive philosophy evolved after 2013 and became far more aggressive.  Negro rarely went for it in 4th and short in 2013.   He always goes for it now.  the 2013 squad would have been even more dominant had that philosophy been in place.  i can think of at least a few 4th and shorts in the DLS game where we either punted or took the field goal instead.  

2 minutes ago, fballfan said:

Observationally, and IMO, the 2016 is more physically tough in certain areas.   The run game for example.   Flowers brings an ability we didn't really have last year.   Get yards after contact.   it takes sometimes 3 defenders to bring that kid down.

I think this reflects the strength of the team this year, and I'm glad Negro and staff have embraced that as an identity. I think if they did that earlier on, we could be looking at a 14-0 team this year. Mitchell has the potential to be special as a true dual-threat, but he's simply not there yet and he's not as strong a passer as Davis was. I think next year could be a different story, though. If Mitchell is able to mature as a passer and get to where Davis and Rosen were, then next year's offense will be scary good (2015 good). If not, they can probably still dominate teams with a Mitchell-Flowers-Holani based rushing attack behind their OLine and grind teams into submission like they did against MD last week.

5 minutes ago, fballfan said:

Drives don't stall out as we're able to get 1st downs more consistently.

Most drives didn't even have the opportunity to stall out last year. They were scoring TDs in like 3 plays. xD

3 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Just remember I called for DLS beating whoever they played in the Open months ago. Most of you laughed. Not laughing now. Instead nothing but excuses.

I think most people are still favoring SJB. Being from CA, you learn to never overlook DLS, but I still think most people see SJB taking it this year. Also SJB is 1-0 against DLS in State championships games, just food for thought.

2 hours ago, thc6795 said:

Just remember I called for DLS beating whoever they played in the Open months ago. Most of you laughed. Not laughing now. Instead nothing but excuses. Question, since we have been told this is the worst DLS team in years, if they win the Open what does this say about football in CA? 

That was early in the year. Now, at least as far as their D, they have come a long way. Totally different animal. The O on the other hand is very suspect and one dimensional.

If DLS wins, it means they won a game. Doesn't mean they are a better team cause they aren't.  Just my 2 cents of bs. 

5 hours ago, dntn31 said:

I think most people are still favoring SJB. Being from CA, you learn to never overlook DLS, but I still think most people see SJB taking it this year. Also SJB is 1-0 against DLS in State championships games, just food for thought.

This is interesting, but basically meaningless in the context of this year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thc6795 said:

Just remember I called for DLS beating whoever they played in the Open months ago. Most of you laughed. Not laughing now. Instead nothing but excuses. Question, since we have been told this is the worst DLS team in years, if they win the Open what does this say about football in CA? 

Its. Not. Happening

25 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Coaching staff and schemes haven't changed a whole lot. If Cen10 was repping SoCal, I have a feeling fewer people would be going against DLS.

You a right, CC is not a good match up against DLS. SJB is.

I am a huge proponent of a coaching/staff/system especially at the HS level. And also believe styles make fights.

If the talent is fairly close then the better coached team can compete (and win). I just think the talent gap is too big. DLS is young and still has holes and against elite teams these will get exposed.