2021 Comp Poll (Updated 2021-12-27)

dntn31

• dntn31 changed the title to 2021 Comp Poll (Updated 2021-11-01)
  • dntn31 changed the title to 2021 Comp Poll (Updated 2021-11-08)
1 minute ago, Cossacks said:

I did see that. But I have watched them play. Not not even a top 15 team in California IMO.

They are definitely not a top 50 team in the country. Maybe top 15 in CA. They did give Los Alamitos their only loss, but got waxed by every other good team they played. They are going to lose to Servite by ~3 TDs this week.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

They are definitely not a top 50 team in the country. Maybe top 15 in CA. They did give Los Alamitos their only loss, but got waxed by every other good team they played. They are going to lose to Servite by ~3 TDs this week.

You are way more in the know on these polls. I’ve recently just started looking at them. On the Norcal board someone was talking about using rankings for their picks. I have not been on Calpreps in several years. Looked at it a few times, years ago didn’t do much for me either way.  I guess its a tool. I wasn’t overly impressed with it, so I never have gone overly in one direction to defend it or slam it. I will read and laugh at some of these ad nauseam posts about Calpreps and adjustments, starting points, a bunch of shit I honestly I don’t know what their talking about most the time and I am either very impressed or scared someone would spend that much time going into detail about it 😂.  I am not a numbers or math guy for sure. C- was my math wheelhouse 😂.

I’ll do a little research and am way more an eyeballs 👀 guy and what I see or read about. Even betting lines and trends, I don’t throw to much stock in it. Then again my usual results (not this year so far) of being in the cellar looking up in some of these contests maybe it’s time for a new strategy.  I’d say I’d look into @imaGoodBoyNowstragedy but I think he puts in more work then me 😂.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

You are way more in the know on these polls. I’ve recently just started looking at them. On the Norcal board someone was talking about using rankings for their picks. I have not been on Calpreps in several years. Looked at it a few times, years ago didn’t do much for me either way.  I guess its a tool. I wasn’t overly impressed with it, so I never have gone overly in one direction to defend it or slam it. I will read and laugh at some of these ad nauseam posts about Calpreps and adjustments, starting points, a bunch of shit I honestly I don’t know what their talking about most the time and I am either very impressed or scared someone would spend that much time going into detail about it 😂.  I am not a numbers or math guy for sure. C- was my math wheelhouse 😂.

I’ll do a little research and am way more an eyeballs 👀 guy and what I see or read about. Even betting lines and trends, I don’t throw to much stock in it. Then again my usual results (not this year so far) of being in the cellar looking up in some of these contests maybe it’s time for a new strategy.  I’d say I’d look into @imaGoodBoyNowstragedy but I think he puts in more work then me 😂.

Like with everything, you gotta take CalPreps and Massey (I won't include Fisher here, because I'm still not 100% convinced that his "proprietary algorithm" has anything to do with information science or even computers) with a grain of salt. CalPreps and Massey both attempt to provide an objective, holistic overview of all 15K national teams which doesn't really exist anywhere else (to my knowledge). Do they get it right on the whole? I think so, for the most part. Are they perfect? No one would argue that. They tend to work well on macro scales but tend to break down a bit more on micro scales and those break downs are a bit more extreme at the very ends of the bell curves. Humans can introduce a bit more nuance into their rankings but with that also comes bias (and sometimes laziness). What I'm doing with the comp poll is a bit like what the BCS was doing for college football before the current playoff system - nothing gets it perfect by itself but if you take everything and compile it together you tend to get something better than the sum of its parts.

I've been tracking both Massey and CalPreps for the pickem to serve as a benchmark. Unfortunately, CalPreps stopped providing actual projections for games until October 1 so I had to use their more imprecise "project a matchup" tool until then (this partially qualifies their poor performance). I think (some) humans are at better evaluating and predicting games on smaller scales than the computers (we're both beating both Massey and CalPreps in our pickems), but both Massey and CalPreps are able to predict thousands of games (mostly between teams that I've never heard of) at over 80% success rate. I don't think any human would be able to do that...

1987528991_Screenshot2021-11-09131011.png.0b315971a8df2791d9070c74af54a395.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

….and Mission Viejo lost to them 40-7. Servite would beat most teams outside the top 25 by 3 TDs. SM is, realistically, top 9-15 in CA and top 55-85 in the nation. 

MV actually lost 44-7, but I think if they played again the score would be closer.

SM is a tough one because they lost to Norco by 3 scores but beat Los Al by 3 scores. I think they are better than their Norco loss and worse than their Los Al win. Beating OLU on the last possession of a home game is a bit more calibrated for how good they really are, imho. It makes it a bit more difficult to gauge because the top 3/4 teams in CA really are on another level (a different tier if you will).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Funny that massey does not have the Hoover vs Hewitt game listed.

It looks like it might be a bug. The previous Servite/Santa Margarita game isn't listed either. This must be fairly recent, because I've definitely seen both games of rematches appearing on Massey before.

700825221_Screenshot2021-11-09150411.png.0832b0afa497388190f529e7a0f3bd81.png

• dntn31 changed the title to 2021 Comp Poll (Updated 2021-11-15)
  • dntn31 changed the title to 2021 Comp Poll (Updated 2021-12-27)
  • dntn31 unpinned this topic