BOMBSHELL: Mater Dei Hazing Scandal

The Stache

18 minutes ago, MD87 said:

Get over yourself?  Really?  He's provided far more informative insight than the rest of you armchair lawyers.

Here’s his latest informative post

As I said in earlier posts, more information will come out later, and I'm not going to divulge things that others have asked me not to at this time.

2 hours ago, MD87 said:

Was Reid's original report an opinion piece?  If not, he needs to be fired.

No it was not an opinion piece. But, he did a "good" job either carefully quoting from the lawsuit or saying he was describing the video. The article falsely leaves the impression that (a) Player 2 was never punished and (b) that Player 2 punched the plaintiff while he was defenseless and on the ground.  However, Reid's article does not explicitly make such false statements.  Notably, during the NPR segment this morning Reid did expressly say the latter false statement--contrary to what the video shows. 

Ultimately, however, I don't think any of this supports firing Reid. Hazing is a legitimate issue. As Wosinc said above, it is apparently prevalent at schools generally, especially within football programs (ironically, not Mater Dei's football program though). And, there is a lawsuit (embellished as its claims may be) pending that involves the No. 1 HS football program in the country. It is in the public's interest to know what the allegations are and hear a discussion of the general issues. While it is also in the public's interest to have an "investigative journalist" do some actual investigating and not merely work with the parents of a plaintiff to put out an unchallenged hit piece concurrently with the filing of the lawsuit that implies that every word of the complaint is fact, that strikes me more as something in poor taste than fireable.

If Reid and others (Sondheimer and Robledo come to mind) continue to state falsehoods after the true facts are shown to be very different from the complaint and initial article, that's more problematic. But, even then, I still am averse to anything that chills free speech or journalism--even journalism that I disagree with.  I think the best way forward is to have the truth drown out the lies, and, to the extent there are any real issues, to address those issues (e.g., should players at Mater Dei and/or any school never have access to the locker rooms without adult supervision?). To the extent that old skeletons in Mater Dei and the Diocese's closets have come up again in the wake of this scandal--e.g., former Mater Dei teachers in the 80s and 90s who had sex with underage students and were fired but were not prosecuted and/or the various well documented sex crimes involving priests in the Catholic Church generally--those problems can be acknowledge and handled with empathy. We can tell the truth re the present incident--that there is no hazing and that there's been a lot of lying lately re Mater Dei--while acknowledging and seeking reconciliation for other, unrelated wrongs.

• Like 1

“Mater Dei officials initially declined to cooperate with Santa Ana Police Department investigators, according to police reports. Rollinson and Kevin Kiernan, the school’s athletic director, finally agreed to be interviewed by a Santa Ana Police Department investigator with Mater Dei assistant principal for student services Miguel Gutierrez present on April 21, more than two months after the altercation and when the Santa Ana PD first requested information from the school, according to police reports.”

Are the the Santa Ana police lying? Or did the MD Administration and Rollinson stonewall the investigation?

2 hours ago, Wosinc said:

This is the part I find hard to believe.  Every high school team I was ever associated with suffered from hazing to one degree or another.

This is the part I don't believe. I guess we should feel honored we have one of the top litigators in the "WORLD" presenting and making his case to a bunch of bums on a rinky-dink HSFB Forum. lmao

God bless, kids!

(2) graduated from a top law school and now work as a litigator at one of the top 100 law firms in the world

8 minutes ago, RedZone said:

This is the part I don't believe. I guess we should feel honored we have one of the top litigators in the "WORLD" presenting and making his case to a bunch of bums on a rinky-dink HSFB Forum. lmao

God bless, kids!

(2) graduated from a top law school and now work as a litigator at one of the top 100 law firms in the world

It's like "hold on World Boss Man, I'll get to that. I still have a couple days of work at PrepGridiron.com"

35d9db68141479ece6e53e79df901e29.gif

2 minutes ago, RedZone said:

God bless, kids!

I’m an ok attorney; I wouldn’t claim to be a top litigator in the world. Heck, my wife would say I’m not the best litigator in my own house. But yes, the firm that I work for is currently 91 in the world and 71 in the US. And my law school is currently 22 per US News and World Report—flawed as school rankings might be. (*Based on all that and what I’ve posted before, it wouldn’t be hard to google and figure out who I am. I don’t really care either way as I gave my name this morning on NPR). So no, I don’t work at Kirkland and didn’t get into Yale Law School, and I’m probably not a top litigator worldwide. But, in this instance, I do know more than you. I’m sorry that triggers you to want to personally attack me.

I’m sure you’re an expert in your own field and that you old guys could teach me plenty. I just felt compelled to break into the echo chamber that is this board with some corrections to the record and regarding the law. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RedZone said:

making his case to a bunch of bums on a rinky-dink HSFB Forum. lmao

Like you blatantly lying about spending the day touring office locations with the mayor of New Orleans to pitch a high school football tv channel? (You have zero TV experience and couldn’t keep up with a godaddy blog) All it took to get the mayor to spend a day with methzone was a mini crown royal gift basket right? 🤣 You can’t keep up. Embarrassing. 

1 minute ago, res ipsa loquitur said:

I’m an ok attorney; I wouldn’t claim to be a top litigator in the world. Heck, my wife would say I’m not the best litigator in my own house. But yes, the firm that I work for is currently 91 in the world and 71 in the US. And my law school is currently 22 per US News and World Report—flawed as school rankings might be. (*Based on all that and what I’ve posted before, it wouldn’t be hard to google and figure out who I am. I don’t really care either way as I gave my name this morning on NPR). So no, I don’t work at Kirkland and didn’t get into Yale Law School, and I’m probably not a top litigator worldwide. But, in this instance, I do know more than you. I’m sorry that triggers you to want to personally attack me.

I’m sure you’re an expert in your own field and that you old guys could teach me plenty. I just felt compelled to break into the echo chamber that is this board with some corrections to the record and regarding the law. 

Whatever.

I ain't the one you have to convince, Prime Time!

Enjoy litigating your case here. You are funny!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RedZone said:

It's like "hold on World Boss Man, I'll get to that. I still have a couple days of work at PrepGridiron.com"

35d9db68141479ece6e53e79df901e29.gif

The firm’s fiscal year ended yesterday. All my goals reset, and my clients are generally quiet over the holidays. So, I have a little more time than usual. And, given the lies being told regarding someone who stood up for me when I was vulnerable (Rollo), I decided to take the time to engage rather than merely scroll through posts. But don’t worry, I’ll go back to being a lurker soon enough when I don’t have as much time to go back and forth on a high school football board with someone who feels comfortable calling me “son.”

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The Colonel said:

“Mater Dei officials initially declined to cooperate with Santa Ana Police Department investigators, according to police reports. Rollinson and Kevin Kiernan, the school’s athletic director, finally agreed to be interviewed by a Santa Ana Police Department investigator with Mater Dei assistant principal for student services Miguel Gutierrez present on April 21, more than two months after the altercation and when the Santa Ana PD first requested information from the school, according to police reports.”

Are the the Santa Ana police lying? Or did the MD Administration and Rollinson stonewall the investigation?

You do realize that those are not the only options, right?

I hope the kid with “life long traumatic brain injuries” that was able to compete in varsity athletics this year has a wonderful rest of his sports career and succeeds in any endeavor he chooses going forward. This “ritual” bullshit and placing the blame on Rollo *for the incident happening* is dumb. Almost as lame as meth zone claiming the mayor toured office spaces with him for a TV channel that will never come to fruition. Enjoy the back and forth boys. An erroneous report by the media. Shocker. MD haters littered all over this site. MD was great before Rollo and will be great after. The unfortunate reality for a lot of you. Enjoy! 💍 

B9FF7122-CC7E-4F51-B7DF-84D932AF2E92.jpeg

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, res ipsa loquitur said:

The firm’s fiscal year ended yesterday. All my goals reset, and my clients are generally quiet over the holidays. So, I have a little more time than usual. And, given the lies being told regarding someone who stood up for me when I was vulnerable (Rollo), I decided to take the time to engage rather than merely scroll through posts. But don’t worry, I’ll go back to being a lurker soon enough when I don’t have as much time to go back and forth on a high school football board with someone who feels comfortable calling me “son.”

Hey brother just understand that “person “ called a member of this board the N word over a high school football game.He has zero credibility.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

MD haters littered all over this site. 

B9FF7122-CC7E-4F51-B7DF-84D932AF2E92.jpeg

I'm certain you have done nothing to stem the tide of MD football haters. As a matter of fact, I'm guessing you've increased the number.

They are a high school football team. A damn good one, taking advantage of a playing field not level for all participants. I've got nothing against them. But you might consider pumping the brakes a bit instead of continually pumping your chest.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, SoCalFball said:

I didn’t realize MD had such a extensive history in assaults of minors 😳

Why Does MD protect bullies?

Yikes!…. Nothing will come of any of this unless Others Come out and Confirm the “Bodies” Hazing thing….

You do have to wonder if this will be a Distraction to the Team and Rollo…. They have to hear about it everyday for 2 weeks leading up to the game….

Although, it could work the other way where it becomes MD vs The World and the team is Uber focused and just Crushes Serra….

This is all so unfortunate as we have to keep in mind, these are kids involved and the Adults are supposed to mentor, guide and Protect them and there seems to be a level of Failure there at MD….

38 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

Yikes!…. Nothing will come of any of this unless Others Come out and Confirm the “Bodies” Hazing thing….

You do have to wonder if this will be a Distraction to the Team and Rollo…. They have to hear about it everyday for 2 weeks leading up to the game….

Although, it could work the other way where it becomes MD vs The World and the team is Uber focused and just Crushes Serra….

This is all so unfortunate as we have to keep in mind, these are kids involved and the Adults are supposed to mentor, guide and Protect them and there seems to be a level of Failure there at MD….

EA700DB8-F207-4066-A9B9-866AD803CF25.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

The article is talking about sexual misconduct between teachers and students (including one basketball coach and an underage female student) from the 70s, 80, and 90s. That is all reprehensible. The writer of this article (like many others) have rightly written about these incidents and have criticized the church and school for their actions/inaction. I agree that merely firing people who had sex with minors is totally inadequate. In decades past, the school should have notified the larger population of the offenses so that any more victims could have been discovered/come forward. It is very much in line with the Catholic church's infamous, disgusting practice of allowing priests to simply leave one church, only to go to another and victimize more people/children.

None of this, however, is evidence of hazing or of covering up hazing. And the problem for you and your narrative is that there is no hazing. No one is going to "Come out and Confirm the 'Bodies' Hazing thing" because there is no bodies hazing thing. "Bodies" is a general slang term for fighting without hitting the face (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=go bodies) and something that kids today have generally heard of even if they've never actually participated or seen it. (For you older folk, think of how you know terms like wedgies, swirlies, slap boxing, etc. An incident of any of those things occurring and the fact there is special slang name attached are not indicative of some unique, let alone sanctioned, "ritual"). The plaintiff engaged in it.  Following the incident in question, the school discovered that it had also been played on campus by some non-football players. Coaches for all sports were put on notice to look out for it. Both plaintiff and player 2 were punished--i.e., the behavior was not remotely encouraged, ignored, or even tacitly endorsed.  There is no hazing and the kids have been protected in this instance (despite any inadequate protection of female students from sexual misconduct by teachers in decades past).

As a further update, the team has been dressing outside instead of using its locker room to further increase their supervision.

How many schools have had scandals with teachers having sex with students? That's always horrible. But how does that prove (or even evidence) that there is hazing?

• Like 2