BOMBSHELL: Mater Dei Hazing Scandal

The Stache

1 hour ago, THEOC89 said:

You do have to wonder if this will be a Distraction to the Team and Rollo…. They have to hear about it everyday for 2 weeks leading up to the game….

Although, it could work the other way where it becomes MD vs The World and the team is Uber focused and just Crushes Serra….

Does MD have to be uber focused to crush Serra? Seems like it will be similar to a game against Santa Margarita or Orange Lutheran. Serra is probably better than those two, but will most likely get crushed anyway.

• Haha 2

Everyone seems focused on the fight, but I think the real issues for the MD Administration and Rollinson involve the alleged actions/inactions immediately after the fight (lack of adult supervision in two locker rooms, failure to provide prompt medical treatment, failure to immediately contact the parents of the injured minor, refusal to meet with police about the incident, denying video of the fight existed, etc.). 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

On 12/1/2021 at 9:23 AM, res ipsa loquitur said:

This was in February 2021. The adults were “all over this” way back then. But, Plaintiff’s parents are mad that the adults were all over this to such a degree that their son was punished too. 

To the extent that there is a “circling of the wagons” it’s to rebut lies. This thread is already filled with MD diehards saying that, if the allegations were true, heads should roll. They’re just not. 

Finally, it’s terrible that the plaintiff got a scar, concussion, and broken nose. He was treated and the player who caused those injuries was punished. 

Maybe but they do not appear to be all over this right now.  Idk.  It's just how it appears.  

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, SoCalFball said:

I agree I’ve seen the video and the fight isn’t as bad as it was made out to be buuuut the cover up on so many levels. And the fact that they have a history of stuff like this from that article. Will see if they have any guts to make any necessary moves that need to be made. 

If the fight wasn't as bad as it was made out to be then what is there to cover up?  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, res ipsa loquitur said:

P.S. If anyone doubts my story, I went public on NPR's Air Time this morning ...

I listened to it and learned stuff.  For anybody interested, here is the link.  Scroll down the page to get to the specific segment(~28 minutes):

https://www.kpcc.org/show/airtalk/2021-12-01/supreme-court-hears-arguments-in-mississippi-abortion-case-what-are-the-key-takeaways

1 minute ago, RedZone said:

I don't trust anything coming out of mater dei or their fanboy mouthpieces....

https://www.bishop-accountability.org/ten-minute-activist/2004-06-17-CA-Files/2003-09-14-Hinch-MaterDei.htm

There's too much to risk in 2021 too...

Had blind fanboys and fangirls back in the day too. Sad.

"If this was really happening, if it was really a hotbed (of sex abuse), don't you think some of the kids would have known?" said Sharon Vargas, a 1976 graduate who spoke in defense of former Vice Principal John Merino, named as a molester in one of the July lawsuits. Merino, through his lawyer, denies the suit's allegations."

18 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Had blind fanboys and fangirls back in the day too. Sad.

"If this was really happening, if it was really a hotbed (of sex abuse), don't you think some of the kids would have known?" said Sharon Vargas, a 1976 graduate who spoke in defense of former Vice Principal John Merino, named as a molester in one of the July lawsuits. Merino, through his lawyer, denies the suit's allegations."

Sadly, I think this woman was probably correct at the time.  It's not just the Catholic Church that covers it's messes up though, who doesn't nowadays is the better question. Name something/anything and they have probably dealt with a scandal and cover-up.  People make a lot of dollars cleaning shit up. 

It is what it is these days because it's always been that way.

Again, this lady was probably right, everyone knows it too.

"Overbeek disagreed. "What the public doesn't know is that the Catholic Church is not only covering for its priests but also its teachers and counselors," she said."

2 hours ago, res ipsa loquitur said:

In case you all want the perspective of a non-MD homer (my self included), here's a tweet that has since been deleted by an L.A. Daily News reporter. Curious that he apparently felt pressured to delete it.

FFnY3MfVUAU4NP1.jpg

You seem to be working overtime at the OC Forum too.......what do you get out this deal?

5 minutes ago, RedZone said:

You seem to be working overtime at the OC Forum too.......what do you get out this deal?

A sense that I'm returning the favor to Rollo who protected me from hate crime when I was 17--at least in the sense that I can rebut a false narrative and give a concrete example to the contrary.

Maybe I was the exception that proves the rule. Based on talking to other players, I doubt it, but it's possible. And if I am the exception, and everything is rotten, that will be proven in court.

4 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

Yikes!…. Nothing will come of any of this unless Others Come out and Confirm the “Bodies” Hazing thing….

You do have to wonder if this will be a Distraction to the Team and Rollo…. They have to hear about it everyday for 2 weeks leading up to the game….

Although, it could work the other way where it becomes MD vs The World and the team is Uber focused and just Crushes Serra….

This is all so unfortunate as we have to keep in mind, these are kids involved and the Adults are supposed to mentor, guide and Protect them and there seems to be a level of Failure there at MD….

Exhibit A: The 'ship vs the school from Anaheim.  MD will do just fine against Serra.

2 hours ago, res ipsa loquitur said:

In case you all want the perspective of a non-MD homer (my self included), here's a tweet that has since been deleted by an L.A. Daily News reporter. Curious that he apparently felt pressured to delete it.

FFnY3MfVUAU4NP1.jpg

LADN is owned by the same company that owns OCR…I sure his bosses weren’t cool with him “shitting” on his coworkers story 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

LADN is owned by the same company that owns OCR…I sure his bosses weren’t cool with him “shitting” on his coworkers story 

Or maybe...and hear me out on this... when viewing a video of two high school kids in a fight where one of them winds up with a broken nose requiring reconstruction (per report) and a concussion (also per report), it's kinda stupid to write it 'stops when it should've," and he thought better of it.

But maybe that's just me, and of course I haven't seen the video.  Time will tell I guess.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Or maybe...and hear me out on this... when viewing a video of two high school kids in a fight where one of them winds up with a broken nose requiring reconstruction (per report) and a concussion (also per report), it's kinda stupid to write it 'stops when it should've," and he thought better of it.

But maybe that's just me, and of course I haven't seen the video.  Time will tell I guess.

That's totally plausible too.

6 hours ago, res ipsa loquitur said:

The article is talking about sexual misconduct between teachers and students (including one basketball coach and an underage female student) from the 70s, 80, and 90s. That is all reprehensible. The writer of this article (like many others) have rightly written about these incidents and have criticized the church and school for their actions/inaction. I agree that merely firing people who had sex with minors is totally inadequate. In decades past, the school should have notified the larger population of the offenses so that any more victims could have been discovered/come forward. It is very much in line with the Catholic church's infamous, disgusting practice of allowing priests to simply leave one church, only to go to another and victimize more people/children.

None of this, however, is evidence of hazing or of covering up hazing. And the problem for you and your narrative is that there is no hazing. No one is going to "Come out and Confirm the 'Bodies' Hazing thing" because there is no bodies hazing thing. "Bodies" is a general slang term for fighting without hitting the face (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=go bodies) and something that kids today have generally have heard of even if they've never actually participated or seen it. (For you older folk, think of how you know terms like wedgies, swirlies, slap boxing, etc. An incident of any of those things occurring and the fact there is special slang name attached is not indicative of some unique, let alone sanctioned, "ritual"). The plaintiff engaged in it.  Following the incident in question, the school discovered that it had also been played on campus by some non-football players. Coaches for all sports were put on notice to look out for it. Both plaintiff and player 2 were punished--i.e., the behavior was not remotely encouraged, ignored, or even tacitly endorsed.  There is no hazing and the kids have been protected in this instance (despite  any inadequate protection of female students from sexual misconduct by teachers in decades past).

As a further update, the team has been dressing outside instead of using its locker room to further increase their supervision.

How many schools have had scandals with teachers having sex with students? That's always horrible.  But how does that prove (or even evidence) that there is hazing?

My Opinion of this is it was a Hideous 1 Time event and There is No Such Thing as “Bodies” which was made up by these kids and has nothing to do with The Culture at MD…. 

If “Bodies” was a real thing we would have seen others come out by now to verify it and that The Coaches know about it…. This would be the Only way Rollo and MD would be in trouble with this….

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Colonel said:

Everyone seems focused on the fight, but I think the real issues for the MD Administration and Rollinson involve the alleged actions/inactions immediately after the fight (lack of adult supervision in two locker rooms, failure to provide prompt medical treatment, failure to immediately contact the parents of the injured minor, refusal to meet with police about the incident, denying video of the fight existed, etc.). 

These questions all need to Be Answered by MD as well as why Rollo and The Principal didn’t talk to the Police for 2 months or whatever…

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

My Opinion of this is it was a Hideous 1 Time event and There is No Such Thing as “Bodies” which was made up by these kids and has nothing to do with The Culture at MD…. 

If “Bodies” was a real thing we would have seen others come out by now to verify it and that The Coaches know about it…. This would be the Only way Rollo and MD would be in trouble with this….

Why were they fighting then?.... didn't like each other?

26 minutes ago, Ararar said:

If this bodies thing was a culture how come this is the first/only video available to see? We absolutely know this generation would have their phones out immediately filming.Why aren’t there multiple videos of this bodies culture on Instagram?

Unfortunately, the whole "snitches get stitches" mentality is much more prevalent than when some of us were at that age.

I'm not suggesting people need to go around tattling on every little thing they see, but when innocent people are bullied or harmed, and others witness it, they need to do the right thing and make sure the guilty party is held accountable. I'm also not saying I know what happened in the MD locker room, nor if one individual was an obvious instigator/aggressor, but kids being afraid of retaliation for speaking out against cheap actions by "tough guys" is a shame.