2018 State trending

Sammyswordsman

6 minutes ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

Exactly my point. Was waiting for something to fall into it. 

It's not about the best OOS teams. It's about convenience OOS games. 

FL is better than CA 

SJB number 2 in CA lost to a non top 10 FL team who was barely top 5 in their county alone

Plus we can show how FL has done historically against CA 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

When is the last time fl won a MNC outright?  If ever.

So because some random poll decides to not vote a team unanimous national champions the state is weak? 

Smh keep digging that hole

Having one elite team doesn't carry the entire state

Just like Alabama and Georgia being in the National Championship doesn't make a team like vandy or Tennessee or Arkansas good

Just having a good team at the top don't make the entire state/conference elite

16 minutes ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

Why would they. 

GA teams NEED those games. 

DLS does not. DLS has equal or better competition within their own state. 

If you say so.

I just wanna see DLS play a Georgia team so that they can get that veer offense exposed once more. 

If that game can't happen, then I'm pretty sure that team in Euless, TX won't mind handing DLS another L. 

11 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

If you say so.

I just wanna see DLS play a Georgia team so that they can get that veer offense exposed once more. 

If that game can't happen, then I'm pretty sure that team in Euless, TX won't mind handing DLS another L. 

Umm hello i think there quite a few in FL who can hand them a L as well to put De La Salle to 0-3 against FL 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

I need more info to confirm that.

Some DLS norcal poster in the know shared that DLS was in serious talks with a GA team.So serious they were sure it was going to get done.Felt that way all the way up to DLS announcing East was going to be their opponent.Shared that the team was NG and they just couldn’t get it done 

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2018 at 3:05 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

This thread will discuss the positive or negative trending of the various states.  For California, we will split the state in Nor Cal and So Cal.  For a state to truly properly placed nationally, the Top 3 teams should have relevant OOS games.

Top Positive Trending States

1. Maryland - Powered by St. Johns and SFA and to a lesser extent by Gonzaga and Dematha, MD has made the biggest statement and is positioned to factor big league in the national Rankings

2.  Arizona - Handling Florida teams is becoming routine for this western state that has multiple programs, that have proven ability to compete nationally.

3. So Cal - Home to the Reigning National champions and could also sport the pre season #1 team in 2018.  The high level of coaching combined by an enormous talent pool, and wide open transferring has created an environment for the elite power programs to thrive.

4. Georgia - Recent seasons have shown that the Top programs have staying power, while new progams have emerged.  the 2014 - 2015 final 4 matchups were compelling, with each program being nationally relevant.  The state has continued to trend up in 2016 and 2017.

5.  Nor Cal - Should have two nationally relevant teams in 2018, along with an improving second tier.  The fact that the two top programs will start to play on a regular basis will prove to be an important vetting point from a national perspective.

Top Negative Trending States

1.  New Jersey - Parity and relevant coaching changes has contributed to a negative trend that is picking up speed, and could result in NJ having even less teams in the Top 50 than the low point of 2017.

2.  Texas - While the overall level of play is not trending down,  but the top teams are losing ground nationally to transferred up super teams in other states.

3.  Ohio - The fall of St. Edwards, and the St. X poor showing vs. SJB, triggered a slide that will need some relevant OOS wins to permit recovery. 2017 saw some nationally unknown programs encroach on the turf of the Big 5 which slipped again.

4. Utah - After a few years on the upswing, the OOS losses suffered by their top school Bingham and a slipping OOS schedule by the other top schools, it appears that Utah is on its way back to irrelevancy.

5.  Florida - Not since BTW in 2013 has a Florida team proven to be Nationally dominant for an entire season.  Yes there have been pockets of highlights (STA and Central), their has not been the consist excellence which exemplified Top Florida teams earlier in the decade.  Late season losses by Top teams, and lack or OOS games by undefeated squads, have hurt the state from a national perspective.

You may want to add Good Counsel in with SFA, St. John’s, DeMatha and Gonzaga as being nationally relevant. I’ve got them beating Marietta(GA) in game 1. GC took in a few nice transfers including potential 5* OT Landon Tengwall( 6’6 300lbs). 

10 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

SJB trends up after week 1 by beating Power house St. John's on the road, and multiple other teams better than Miramar.

Ga. as a whole is trending up in terms of # of quality teams that are relevant nationally

Pretty accurate. SJB would've smashed STA in a rematch. I hate when people reference the VERY FIRST game of the season as the defining moment of the ENTIRE year. People continue to do it with DLS and the Trinity (TX) loss. Teams DO improve after the first game of the season. Even after taking some lumps (Miramar) STA improved by the end of the year. Hanging with a top 5-10 FL team in Venice warranted a higher ranking for STA by year's end. I watched the entire SJB/STA game last year and it was sloppy offensively. If SJB's offense was clicking like it normally does they would've run all over STA. That's the chance you take by scheduling a powerhouse right out of the gate. Kudos to both teams for that! Regardless of all of this, CA,FL, and TX remain the big 3 in high school football.

GA is definitely trending up. Top to bottom they are a solid #4 right now and are closing in on the big 3. 

8 hours ago, Pops said:

Truth is that NorCal has two teams better than anyone in GA

this year or this decade 

I assume even a kool are drinker like you would concede DLS, so I’ll narrow your path to prove me wrong — who’s Ga’s best team to put up against Folsom for 2018 or 2010-present (you choose)

DLS would definitely be a top 5 team in GA EVERY year. Folsom would've last year and, maybe, a couple of other years. 

As far as challenging Folsom, N. Gwinnett and Rome would've been good games for Folsom last year. With the exception of 2014 every GA state champ would've beaten Folsom. 2014 Colquitt Co/Folsom would've been a great game, though. I might even give the edge to Colquitt in that one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

Pretty accurate. SJB would've smashed STA in a rematch. I hate when people reference the VERY FIRST game of the season as the defining moment of the ENTIRE year. People continue to do it with DLS and the Trinity (TX) loss. Teams DO improve after the first game of the season. Even after taking some lumps (Miramar) STA improved by the end of the year. Hanging with a top 5-10 FL team in Venice warranted a higher ranking for STA by year's end. I watched the entire SJB/STA game last year and it was sloppy offensively. If SJB's offense was clicking like it normally does they would've run all over STA. That's the chance you take by scheduling a powerhouse right out of the gate. Kudos to both teams for that! Regardless of all of this, CA,FL, and TX remain the big 3 in high school football.

GA is definitely trending up. Top to bottom they are a solid #4 right now and are closing in on the big 3. 

Teams in broward county better than sta by end of season 

AHP 

Cardinal Gibbons 

Chaminade 

Miramar 

Truthfully sta did regress towards the end of the year for multiple reasons 

Poor qb play

Low offense production 

Questionable coaching 

Several things went wrong late in the year and that stuff adds up on most teams,  even ones with the talent STA has

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

The thing though is it was the first game for sta and SJB 

Now had sta played 10 games and that was SJB first game then i can get the excuse 

At end of day it was a number 2 team in one state losing to a team outside the top 10 of another state so CA don't have room to act like they are strong but FL is weak like they are trying to sell

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

Teams in broward county better than sta by end of season 

AHP 

Cardinal Gibbons 

Chaminade 

Miramar 

AHP and Gibbons, yes. I think STA would've beaten Chaminade at year's end. Miramar, however, seems to always give STA fits, but I still ranked STA higher than both. 

The main point of my previous post was that STA wouldn't have beaten SJB in a rematch. I think it would've been ugly. Do you REALLY think STA deserved to be ranked higher than SJB at year's end simply because they beat them in a sloppy game in the first game of the season?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

At end of day it was a number 2 team in one state losing to a team outside the top 10 of another state so CA don't have room to act like they are strong but FL is weak like they are trying to sell

I don't think anyone is seriously saying FL is weak. Everyone on here knows, deep down, that both states are one of the big 3 in the entire country. I have stated that numerous times over the years. 

• Like 1

Just now, Omaha Vol said:

AHP and Gibbons, yes. I think STA would've beaten Chaminade at year's end. Miramar, however, seems to always give STA fits, but I still ranked STA higher than both. 

The main point of my previous post was that STA wouldn't have beaten SJB in a rematch. I think it would've been ugly. Do you REALLY think STA deserved to be ranked higher than SJB at year's end simply because they beat them in a sloppy game in the first game of the season?  

Nope but that don't take away from fact that sta did beat them which i feel hurts CA argument especially when comparing them to FL 

Also i think you underestimating Chaminade, yes they did struggle with teams like AHP and Miami Central early on but they did beat Miramar so I feel they can beat larger teams

They also dominated BTW who was playing to keep their playoff hopes alive and also beat a talented oxbridge team

I think it would be close but Chaminade was talented enough to beat sta last year, at least towards the end of the season once they got humbled a little bit by Miami Central and AHP 

6 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

I don't think anyone is seriously saying FL is weak. Everyone on here knows, deep down, that both states are one of the big 3 in the entire country. I have stated that numerous times over the years. 

I agree

If anyone seriously believes FL isn't top 3 then there is something wrong in their head

On 5/13/2018 at 3:05 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

This thread will discuss the positive or negative trending of the various states.  For California, we will split the state in Nor Cal and So Cal.  For a state to truly properly placed nationally, the Top 3 teams should have relevant OOS games.

Top Positive Trending States

1. Maryland - Powered by St. Johns and SFA and to a lesser extent by Gonzaga and Dematha, MD has made the biggest statement and is positioned to factor big league in the national Rankings

2.  Arizona - Handling Florida teams is becoming routine for this western state that has multiple programs, that have proven ability to compete nationally.

3. So Cal - Home to the Reigning National champions and could also sport the pre season #1 team in 2018.  The high level of coaching combined by an enormous talent pool, and wide open transferring has created an environment for the elite power programs to thrive.

4. Georgia - Recent seasons have shown that the Top programs have staying power, while new progams have emerged.  the 2014 - 2015 final 4 matchups were compelling, with each program being nationally relevant.  The state has continued to trend up in 2016 and 2017.

5.  Nor Cal - Should have two nationally relevant teams in 2018, along with an improving second tier.  The fact that the two top programs will start to play on a regular basis will prove to be an important vetting point from a national perspective.

Top Negative Trending States

1.  New Jersey - Parity and relevant coaching changes has contributed to a negative trend that is picking up speed, and could result in NJ having even less teams in the Top 50 than the low point of 2017.

2.  Texas - While the overall level of play is not trending down,  but the top teams are losing ground nationally to transferred up super teams in other states.

3.  Ohio - The fall of St. Edwards, and the St. X poor showing vs. SJB, triggered a slide that will need some relevant OOS wins to permit recovery. 2017 saw some nationally unknown programs encroach on the turf of the Big 5 which slipped again.

4. Utah - After a few years on the upswing, the OOS losses suffered by their top school Bingham and a slipping OOS schedule by the other top schools, it appears that Utah is on its way back to irrelevancy.

5.  Florida 

No doubt the gators have been a dumpster fire. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

Nope, but you really think Cali should be talking smack to FL lol?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omaha Vol said:

DLS would definitely be a top 5 team in GA EVERY year. Folsom would've last year and, maybe, a couple of other years. 

As far as challenging Folsom, N. Gwinnett and Rome would've been good games for Folsom last year. With the exception of 2014 every GA state champ would've beaten Folsom. 2014 Colquitt Co/Folsom would've been a great game, though. I might even give the edge to Colquitt in that one. 

After this statement, you're no longer allowed to talk about Georgia FBall. 

• Haha 1