Aquinas vs Dematha 8/25/2018

StAllThewaY

46 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

I missed half of the Quince Orchard/DM scrimmage but I agree with you.  Speed was remarkable but for myself I felt DM’s qb was reassuring.  Westfield/DM was mostly reserves.

DM is 3-0 vs Florida (Miami Central, AHP away and Glades Central).  But as noted above they are young.  I would feel more comfortable if STA was at home and a month later.

They have the talent to beat anybody-including SJC and SFR as well as STA.

I saw the MSJ DM Scrimmage wasn’t at that one. Like the RBs a lot both fast and big. Thought lines were huge. In game situation both teams moved the ball pretty easily. DM two safeties are very good.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

That's all we have so far, plus the ending poll in 2017 looks much worse for Fla.  Trust me.

We have NOTHING thus far. So, there is NOTHING to use. 

Florida in particular is a state where teams emerge from nowhere to be powerhouses in a given year. I don't see Lakeland in any national rankings nor are they very high in Florida rankings. And the reason is nobody knows what they have. Which is all fine and dandy. As long as people realize the rankings are meaningless at the moment. It's when people actually think rankings right now matter for something that we have a problem. STA and Columbia's 2018 teams will have proven themselves to be better than the rest of 7A when/if they beat the rest of the class and win the state title. And not a moment before...

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, badrouter said:

We have NOTHING thus far. So, there is NOTHING to use. 

Florida in particular is a state where teams emerge from nowhere to be powerhouses in a given year. I don't see Lakeland in any national rankings nor are they very high in Florida rankings. And the reason is nobody knows what they have. Which is all fine and dandy. As long as people realize the rankings are meaningless at the moment. It's when people actually think rankings right now matter for something that we have a problem. STA and Columbia's 2018 teams will have proven themselves to be better than the rest of 7A when/if they beat the rest of the class and win the state title. And not a moment before...

People on this board put forth their most convincing arguments when there is no data to prove them wrong.  

how we roll 2.jpg

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I'm going with the home team and their refs. 

Can you name me any games at STA where the refs were very one sided?  Seriously,  I don't often see too much of that at STA games.  

Did SJB or any other OOS teams have any ref issues when playing there?   Only big questionable call I recall was that Dorsett TD vs Byrnes a while back.

The big ESPN games are usually ref'd fairly for the most part. It's the stream only games or ones not broadcasted that are horrible.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

People on this board put forth their most convincing arguments when there is no data to prove them wrong.  

how we roll 2.jpg

My wife is emphatic:  after more than 25 years she has evidence and more (!?!) to prove that I am consistently wrong.

....but she loves me and makes allowances for my being totally full of it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Take a chill pill. In elite OOS games my tie breaker is the home team. That's all I was getting at. Sheesh.

Lol I was just curious if there had been any issues, as I'm biased I was thinking I missed something.   No worries haha.   I've always felt STA's gotten the short end of the stick home or away.    

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Looks like Casteel (Harvard commit) will be the starter on Saturday, with a transfer from MI Valenti (NIU verbal) and Engel backing up. 

STA spring game was called off due to Mother Nature and they didn’t play a scrimmage game.   Perhaps it’s the experience that placed Casteel there initially.  I was hoping Valenti would add a dual threat option.  

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Looks like Casteel (Harvard commit) will be the starter on Saturday, with a transfer from MI Valenti (NIU verbal) and Engel backing up. 

STA spring game was called off due to Mother Nature and they didn’t play a scrimmage game.   Perhaps it’s the experience that placed Casteel there initially.  I was hoping Valenti would add a dual threat option.  

I wonder how the lack of both a spring game and KOC will affect them. My guess is not much.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

I wonder how the lack of both a spring game and KOC will affect them. My guess is not much.

I almost took DeMatha in this match up. Then I read in here and saw the lack of tune ups for STA and was tempted to go change my pick, then I read this and am back on the fence. 

xD

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Ok. Dammit.

Back on the DeMatha pick. 

Can I pull the trigger and switch from STA to DeMatha in the pick em. 

Idk. 

We'll see.

Well if casteel  is the guy, you may remember rtheir offense looked anemic at times, so you have to consider that against a good defense like dematha. Add the loss of wingo, I don’t know.

anyways just want you to squirm a bit. Hahaha

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Well if casteel  is the guy, you may remember rtheir offense looked anemic at times

I remember not being all that impressed when STA beat Curtis 27-13 in 2013.....their offense, at least. That said 3 preseason transfers accounted for all of STA's points in that game.

It's much easier for their defense to come together and I expect that to be the difference in that DeMatha game.

STA 21 DeMatha 6

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On August 20, 2018 at 10:58 PM, Oldballcoach said:

Got to see DeMatha in person. They are very fast! Line is huge. QB I thought played well. Offense needs to get a little more diverse. Don’t know anything about STA. Being a DMV guy have to go with DM. 

That's basically describing STA as well.  Hopefully their offense clicks a bit more and has a bit more misdirection with their runs.  It's been bery stale last few years.

• Thanks 1

@StAllThewaY I look for the LOS to be pretty even.  D will most likely win for both sides more often than not.  The team who wins will be the one that is able to make plays from tough situations or can cause some turnovers.   Dematha IMO won the line of scrimmage vs Gorman but was not able to make the plays on O once their RB went down.  While Gormans QB was able to adjust and make plays in the 2nd.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Damn I was kinda hoping for valenti as well for the same reasons.  Casteel better be ready to make decisions quicker!  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

DeMatha will look different this season. There’s a new OC and DC. They also added a few highly recruited transfers(Coziah Izzard, Greg Penn, Kaden Prather, Jalen Clyatt, etc...) and the 5* RB Marshawn Lloyd who was out last season with a broken arm. 

This game will come down to coaching. Both teams are highly talented with question marks at QB. Whatever staff puts their QB in a position to win the game, will win the game. This won’t look like the DM vs Gorman game last year where Dorian Thompson stepped up and took the game over for Gorman after DeMatha was leading in the 4th quarter. I’m guessing a 21-14 score either way. It should be interesting to watch. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2