What up Texas?

DevilDog

9 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Is this the kid? 

13FD1B6C-7775-49C9-BB84-DC5141AFF769.png

That kid was one of many that showed out in the Texas Relays.  Arguably the best Track meet I've ever attended and you know I have seen many.  Elite HS, College, Olympians and so many Out of State kids from D.C. To Arizona.  Got to see Coleman,  Abby Steiner, Jenna Prandini  these are 2 of the 4 that beat Jamaica in the Olympics.  Also our Dallas Girl. Sha'Carri Richardson ran on one of the relays.  I was texting from my phone during the relays so apologies on the spelling and wording.  Watching LSU Boys and Texas Women in the 4x100.  Texas women ran a freaking 42.00 flat the fastest in the world then the elite 4x100 dropped a 41.87 Records were being set left and right.   Arch Bishop Carroll from D.C. for some reason ran kids in both Divisions.  Don't think big Privates should have ran against the DI small school races.  4A Gilmer got some horses.  I can see them being a handful for 4A in football.  Including a 10.4 100m winner who smoked 5A Warren Easton kid for some reason ran with the small schools.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Including a 10.4 100m winner who smoked 5A Warren Easton kid for some reason ran with the small schools.  

Warren Easton is a 4A School and the Easton kid won the 100 meters in 4A.

He would have been 6th or 7th in 5A.

But, whatever. I think people should know how you roll by now.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 12:26 PM, golfaddict1 said:

@DevilDogam I mistaken here? IMG’s Asinga (Texas A&M commit :)ripped a wind legal 10.10 in FL.  He wasn’t the anchor in this TX race?   What if he was?  39 and change…

Montverde Academy senior.  😯 One of the fastest all conditions rips in HS history.  This is the appetizer.   The main course I’ll add in the Track thread.   A&M next season gets this phenom.  

IMG_4261.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

@Horsefly

List of Texas signees and targets at UIL State Track meet

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/texas-signees-and-targets-at-uil-track-and-field-state-meet/

look at this 2A Speed and look who is 9th coming into the 100 at state

Boys 100 Meter Dash 2A (May 12 at 6:05 p.m.)
1. Campbell, Ernest 11 Refugio 10.26
2. Freeman, Brayden 12 Sanford-Fritch 10.59
3. Drake, Bobby 12 Bremond 10.61
4. Peevey, Caden 12 Shamrock 10.68
5. Powell, Guy 12 Bangs 10.68
6. McCoy, Carson 11 Thorndale 10.71
7. Morris, Ryelan 9 Honey Grove 10.82
8. Brady, Jared 11 Stamford 10.84
9. Bussey, Terry 11 Timpson 10.86

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

@Horsefly

List of Texas signees and targets at UIL State Track meet

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/texas-signees-and-targets-at-uil-track-and-field-state-meet/

look at this 2A Speed and look who is 9th coming into the 100 at state

Boys 100 Meter Dash 2A (May 12 at 6:05 p.m.)
1. Campbell, Ernest 11 Refugio 10.26
2. Freeman, Brayden 12 Sanford-Fritch 10.59
3. Drake, Bobby 12 Bremond 10.61
4. Peevey, Caden 12 Shamrock 10.68
5. Powell, Guy 12 Bangs 10.68
6. McCoy, Carson 11 Thorndale 10.71
7. Morris, Ryelan 9 Honey Grove 10.82
8. Brady, Jared 11 Stamford 10.84
9. Bussey, Terry 11 Timpson 10.86

Timpson in the house. Kid from Refugio can fly! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Texas HS Football Legend.  Another one from bEast Texas (Hooks, Tx Hs) Billy Sims

https://texashsfootball.com/texas-hs-football-legend-billy-sims/

The Dawn of a Star: Early Life and High School Triumphs

Growing up in Hooks, Billy faced numerous adversities. Poverty was a constant presence in his early years, but he didn’t let his circumstances dictate his future. Instead, he used these challenges as stepping stones, channelling his energy into athletics, specifically football, where his raw talent shone through.

At Hooks High School, Sims exhibited a natural ability for the game. He navigated the gridiron with grace and power, accumulating an astonishing 7,733 rushing yards during his high school career. Billy’s senior year was a spectacle to behold, with him scoring an incredible 38 touchdowns. Such prowess not only made him a fan favorite but also garnered him the prestigious Parade High School All-American accolade.

Billy Sims Awards
High School:

Parade High School All-American

College (University of Oklahoma):

Heisman Trophy (1978)
Consensus All-American (1978, 1979)
Big Eight Offensive Player of the Year (1978)
UPI Player of the Year (1978)
College Football Hall of Fame Inductee (1995)

NFL (Detroit Lions):

NFL Rookie of the Year (1980)
Pro Bowl selection (1980, 1981, 1982)
All-Pro Selection (1981)
Detroit Lions Ring of Honor

• Like 2

Texas HS Football Legend: Thurman Thomas

https://texashsfootball.com/texas-hs-football-legend-thurman-thomas/

Texas native Thurman Thomas’ ascent to football greatness had its humble beginnings in Houston. His childhood was punctuated by a raw athletic prowess that could not be ignored, becoming glaringly evident during his tenure at Willowridge High School. Playing multiple sports, Thomas was a spectacle to watch, especially when it came to football.

In his high school career, Thomas painted a picture of what was to come, amassing a whopping 3,500 yards and scoring 46 touchdowns. These statistics were not just numbers; they were a testament to his relentless determination and innate talent. It was at Willowridge that Thomas turned from a promising young athlete into a future NFL star, catching the attention of college scouts from across the nation.

Thurman Thomas NFL Awards:
NFL Most Valuable Player (MVP): 1991
NFL Offensive Player of the Year: 1991
Five-time Pro Bowl selection: 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993
First-Team All-Pro: 1990, 1991
Second-Team All-Pro: 1992, 1993
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame: Inducted in 2005
Pro Football Hall of Fame: Inducted in 2007
Buffalo Bills No. 34 retired

• Like 1

Texas HS Football Legend: Derrick Johnson

https://texashsfootball.com/texas-hs-football-legend-derrick-johnson/

Born and raised in the football-loving town of Waco, Texas, Derrick Johnson was destined for greatness from an early age. His intrinsic flair for football was evident even in his youth, setting him apart from his peers and marking the beginnings of an illustrious career.

Johnson’s high school career at Waco High School was a testament to his exceptional talent. Playing as both linebacker and running back, he showcased a unique versatility that quickly caught the attention of both fans and scouts. His high school stats were nothing short of impressive, with him recording over 170 tackles and 30 sacks in his senior year alone. These performances led to him being named a Parade High School All-American, a fitting conclusion to his high school journey and a promising sign of what was to come.

Derrick Johnson Career Awards
High School:

USA Today High School All-American (2000)

College (University of Texas):

First-team All-Big 12 (2003, 2004)
Consensus All-American (2004)
Dick Butkus Award (2004)
Bronko Nagurski Trophy (2004)

NFL (Kansas City Chiefs):

Pro Bowl selection (2011, 2012, 2013, 2015)
First-Team All-Pro (2011)
Kansas City Chiefs team MVP (2011)
Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year nominee (2012, 2013)
Kansas City Chiefs franchise record for tackles (1,151)

• Like 2

Another bEast Texas HS Football Legend

https://texashsfootball.com/texas-hs-football-legend-leonard-davis/

Texas HS Football Legend: Leonard Davis

Born and raised in Wortham, Texas, Leonard Davis displayed a promising blend of raw power and athleticism from an early age. This small town, with a population of under 1,000, would be the backdrop for Davis’s early football exploits. As a high school student at Wortham High School, Davis was a standout in both basketball and football, showing versatility and strength that would come to define his career.

He would carry this momentum into his college career, carrying the hopes of his hometown with him.

Legacy: Leonard Davis’s Impact on the Game

Today, Leonard Davis is remembered not just for his on-field accomplishments, but also for his character and influence. Most recently, Davis was selected for the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame.

His journey from a small Texas town to NFL stardom is a testament to hard work, perseverance, and sheer talent. His legacy serves as an inspiration to young athletes everywhere, a shining example of what can be achieved with dedication and a love for the game.

• Like 1

Texas HS Football Legend: Gene Upshaw

https://texashsfootball.com/texas-hs-football-legend-gene-upshaw/

Born Eugene Thurman Upshaw Jr. on August 15, 1945, Gene Upshaw rose from humble beginnings in Robstown, Texas to become a Texas high school football and NFL legend. The son of a cotton mill worker, Upshaw was the youngest of nine children. His love for football was nurtured from an early age, playing on the sandy fields of his neighborhood with his siblings and friends.

At Robstown High School, Upshaw’s outstanding athleticism became apparent. Despite the school’s modest size, Upshaw quickly became the star of the team, excelling on both sides of the ball. His performances at right guard and middle linebacker captivated the local community, and his senior year culminated in him being named to the All-South Texas High School team. This achievement caught the attention of college recruiters, setting the stage for his ascent in the world of football.

His leadership on and off the field was exemplary. His peers elected him as a team captain, a role he held for eight years. He was a pivotal figure in the Raiders’ victories in Super Bowl XI and Super Bowl XV, becoming the first player to start in Super Bowls in three different decades.

In recognition of his impressive career, Upshaw was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1987. His legacy as a player is cemented by his inclusion in the NFL’s 75th Anniversary All-Time Team.

• Like 1

bEast texas pound for pound produces arguably the greatest football players in Texas History and possibly the nation.

https://texashsfootball.com/wilson-first-former-texas-hs-football-player-picked-in-2023-nfl-draft/

Wilson First Former Texas HS Football Player Picked in 2023 NFL Draft

A former Texas high school football player has been the number one pick in the NFL Draft a record 14 times. This year, we had to wait until the seventh pick for a former Texas high school stand out to get drafted. The first off the board from Texas was Tyree Wilson from West Rusk.

Born in Anchorage, Alaska, Wilson moved with his family to Henderson, Texas in 2002. He attended West Rusk High School in New London, Texas, where he excelled on the football field. During his senior year, Wilson made 126 tackles, 38 tackles for loss, five forced fumbles, and five fumble recoveries. Rated as a three-star recruit, Wilson initially committed to play college football at Washington State. However, he changed his mind before the start of his senior year and ultimately committed to Texas A&M.

• Like 1

Texas HS Football Legend: Cedric Benson

https://texashsfootball.com/texas-hs-football-legend-cedric-benson/

Cedric Benson is a Texas high school football legend that left an indelible mark on the sport during his career as a running back at Robert E. Lee High School (now Legacy High School), Texas and in the NFL. With a relentless determination and incredible talent, Cedric Benson’s story is an inspiration to aspiring athletes and football fans alike.

The Early Life of Cedric Benson

Born on December 28, 1982, in Midland, Texas, Cedric Myron Benson showed a natural affinity for sports from a young age. Growing up in a loving household with his mother, Jackie, and brother, Dominic, Cedric quickly developed a passion for football. However, his athletic abilities were not limited to just one sport, as he also excelled in baseball and track and field.

Texas High School Dominance: Football Prodigy in the Making

Cedric attended Robert E. Lee High School in Midland, where his athletic prowess truly began to shine. As a running back for the football team, Benson displayed a combination of power, agility, and speed that made him a force to be reckoned with on the field. By the end of his high school career, he had amassed a staggering 8,423 rushing yards and 127 touchdowns, breaking numerous Texas state records in the process.

In addition to his gridiron success, Benson was a standout on the baseball field as well. He was even drafted by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 12th round of the 2001 MLB Draft. However, Benson chose to pursue football and committed to the University of Texas at Austin to play college ball.

• Like 3

Man… 

I try not to be an obvious homer… you guys know I love SOC alumni Samples at Duncanville and  I’ve been the biggest DeSoto fan since forever

But, I think SOC may beat one of these teams this upcoming season. I never thought this was possible until now, but SOC will be exceptional 

I can see SOC stunning Duncanville then losing to Lancaster and/or DeSoto… then Duncanville completely decimating Desoto later. 

I can also see Duncanville, Desoto, Lancaster and SOC all winning it all

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

Man… 

I try not to be an obvious homer… you guys know I love SOC alumni Samples at Duncanville and  I’ve been the biggest DeSoto fan since forever

But, I think SOC may beat one of these teams this upcoming season. I never thought this was possible until now, but SOC will be exceptional 

I can see SOC stunning Duncanville then losing to Lancaster and/or DeSoto… then Duncanville completely decimating Desoto later. 

Duncanville, Lancaster, Desoto and Parish Episcopal with Dville the only away game. That is among the toughest Schedules in the State. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

Man… 

Nah, you’re not the unrealistic homer type,  you keep it real and honest.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the LBs, how are the OL/DLs? 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Happy belated Fathers Day and Happy Juneteenth.  What Red Drink are you having today for this most important celbration of the Diaspora? I'm going to have a Cranberry Sorbet sometime today.  

You the same!  I’m going to have straight cranberry juice with a slice of red velvet cake for dessert. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Horsefly said:

You the same!  I’m going to have straight cranberry juice with a slice of red velvet cake for dessert. 

That's the go to Dessert for sure.  I might sneak in a little BBQ as well.  When I was young my Uncle always BBQd and served us Strawberry or Big Red Soda.  Not big on Soda but in his memory I might sip a little Big Red too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

That's the go to Dessert for sure.  I might sneak in a little BBQ as well.  When I was young my Uncle always BBQd and served us Strawberry or Big Red Soda.  Not big on Soda but in his memory I might sip a little Big Red too. 

There ya go, BBQ was always the go to.  We drank Nehi strawberry soda and put them over ice in the big metal tubs. Good ol days for sure  

• Haha 1