What up Texas?

DevilDog

20 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Nah, you’re not the unrealistic homer type,  you keep it real and honest.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the LBs, how are the OL/DLs? 

They have about 2 or 3 starters returning on each. I think they’ll be solid.

I think scheme is where they’ll beat many teams this year. That OC from the 1st state championship has returned and last year’s QB ,who didn’t start until the playoffs and eventually lead them to another championship, is looking extremely poised. Aside from the 4 star WR returning for his senior season, they have a whole big bag of dynamic receivers. The 6’6 WR is starting to rack up offers 

The defense is looking extremely smart…. They communicate well and have great chemistry for this time if the year 

SOC could have a legitimate top 50 team this season .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

They have about 2 or 3 starters returning on each. I think they’ll be solid.

I think scheme is where they’ll beat many teams this year. That OC from the 1st state championship has returned and last year’s QB ,who didn’t start until the playoffs and eventually lead them to another championship, is looking extremely poised. Aside from the 4 star WR returning for his senior season, they have a whole big bag of dynamic receivers. The 6’6 WR is starting to rack up offers 

The defense is looking extremely smart…. They communicate well and have great chemistry for this time if the year 

SOC could have a legitimate top 50 team this season .

Interesting didn’t know that. 

Ranking the top 10 non-conference games for Texas programs in 2023

1. Texas at Alabama (Week 2) 
A rematch of a one-point loss for the Longhorns in 2022 and a preview of the upcoming SEC gauntlet awaiting Texas takes place in Week 2 with a trip to Tuscaloosa to face Nick Saban’s Crimson Tide. Alabama is replacing a Heisman Trophy winner and top NFL draft pick at quarterback and a top five pick along the defensive line. Alabama is always loaded, however, and this trip serves as an early indicator of how “back” Texas actually is under Steve Sarkisian. 

2. Texas A&M at Miami (Week 2)
This game was a snooze fest in 2022, and an early indicator that neither team was destined for success. This is a big year for both coaching staffs. Jimbo Fisher hired an offensive coordinator and likely needs at least eight wins (maybe more) to save his job. Questions already face second-year Miami head man Mario Cristobal. Both teams are stocked with elite talent, making it a must-watch game. A win provides a confidence boost for a Texas A&M roster that needs a good start to the season. A loss would start the chorus calling for a change. 

• Like 1

3. Oregon at Texas Tech (Week 2) 
Night games in Lubbock are always fun and the momentum in West Texas is real. A victory over the Ducks puts the Red Raiders firmly into Big 12 title contention. Starting quarterback, Tyler Shough, started his career at Oregon and will want to perform well. This figures to be a battle between two top 25 programs in front of a sold-out Jones AT&T Stadium. 

4. Utah at Baylor (Week 2) 
The Bears hope to rebound from a 6-7 campaign in 2022 and an early season upset of Pac-12 contender Utah would be a great jumpstart. The two programs carry a similar ethos – pound the rock and outlast opponents with toughness. We’ll learn a lot about the new pieces in the trenches for Baylor after the showdown with the Utes. Utah is known to struggle e

• Like 1

5. Colorado at TCU (Week 1) 
The first time to watch Deion Sanders coach a Power Five program takes place in Fort Worth in possibly the biggest national game during Week 1. The Horned Frogs reached the national championship game in 2022 – the first under DCTF cover subject Sonny Dykes. But TCU must reload at nearly every position with young faces waiting their turn or with a few key transfers. No one added more faces to the program than Colorado. Even the Horned Frogs won’t know what to expect. 

6. UTSA at Houston (Week 1) 
Last year’s contest between these two budding rivals went to triple overtime with the Cougars coming out on top. Houston and UTSA are in new conference this season with the Cougars in the Big 12 and UTSA hoping to carry over its winning ways to the American Athletic Conference. A loss to a G5 team at home would be devastating for Dana Holgorsen’s program. A win on the road against a Power Five team within your own state would be another feather in the cap of UTSA head coach Jeff Traylor. 

• Like 1

7. SMU at TCU (Week 4) 
The Battle for the Iron Skillet is rarely dull, and SMU feels ready to compete with the Horned Frogs thanks to an improved roster. The Mustangs retooled a defense that struggled mightily in 2022. Quarterback Preston Stone, who signed when Dykes was the head coach at SMU, is poised to take over the reins for SMU. TCU plays a Big 12 contest against Houston the week before, so this might be a case of good timing for the Mustangs. Dykes is on a three-game winning streak in the rivalry, including two wins at SMU. 

8. Texas State at UTSA (Week 2)
The Battle of I-35 adds more flavor to a colorful rivalry with head coach G.J. Kinne taking over the Bobcats. Kinne famously transferred to Gilmer in high school to play for now UTSA head coach Jeff Traylor. The two remain close and coaching against each other only adds to the drama. These two rivals last played in 2020 with the Roadrunners squeaking by with a win. The two programs have gone on two completely different trajectories since that contest. A win for Texas State would jumpstart the rebuild in San Marcos. 

• Like 1

9. Cal at North Texas (Week 1) 
The Eric Morris era begins with a winnable home game against a P5 opponent when Cal comes to Denton, America. The Mean Green must capitalize on a welcoming first-half of the schedule because the back end of the season could get difficult. The more wins North Texas can rack up before mid-October, the easier the path is to bowl eligibility. 

10. Incarnate Word at UTEP (Week 1) 
Take away Sam Houston and the most accomplished FCS program in Texas over the last few years is UIW. The Cardinals beat Texas State in San Marcos two years ago and drubbed Nevada in similar fashion last season. UIW marched all the way to the FCS semifinals in 2022. A new-look roster and coaching staff begins their tenure in El Paso against a Miners team that starts the season in Week 0 on the road against Jax State. This could be a trap game for the Miners. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Horsefly said:

You can order now, they’re already mailing out according to stepp 

I have a few older ones I need to find and get. I need to get the Reggie and Vince one. The one with Cedric Benson on the cover. I also want the 2001 one when Lufkin was #1 and won the title. Also need to get last year's copy with my kid on the pre-season 1st team super team. I use to get this every year. Last year they were late getting copies out and I just never got mine 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Champa said:

Can't imagine how brutal workouts are with this heat. Hope teams are being smart.

Making my bold prediction now so it'll get buried by the time the season starts: Manvel makes it to state this year.

I can see that, Martin is back at Manvel and I hear he’s gotten loads of talent to transfer. 

On 6/18/2023 at 10:34 PM, DevilDog said:

Duncanville, Lancaster, Desoto and Parish Episcopal with Dville the only away game. That is among the toughest Schedules in the State. 

Parish is pretty stout too, especially for a private school:

@Aledo (5A D1 champs)

Bellaire Episcopal (SPC runner up)

Austin LBJ 

@SOCm (5A D2 champs) 

@China Spring (4A D1 champs)

• Like 3

Kid is amazing on and off the field.

It'll be Carthage vs Silsbee in 4AD2 for the title this year since we're in prediction mode.

Going out on a limb and say North Shore and Duncanville will be it for 6A. Only thing that makes it interesting is to see if anyone can beat them. I keep hearing good things about Atascocita, but I just don't like their play calling.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Champa said:

Kid is amazing on and off the field.

It'll be Carthage vs Silsbee in 4AD2 for the title this year since we're in prediction mode.

Going out on a limb and say North Shore and Duncanville will be it for 6A. Only thing that makes it interesting is to see if anyone can beat them. I keep hearing good things about Atascocita, but I just don't like their play calling.

This would be the year if any to try to take down NS, with them having a new HC.

I would like to see it.

• Like 1

Texas goes into Florida and back to back years gets the best RB in the Nation.  Baxter 2023 and now Jerrick Gibson.  IMG kid who started at Gainesville, HS.  Tashard Choice helluva Job recruiting RB's.  Sending 2 to the NFL Last year and 1 in the 1st round will help with Recruitng.  

https://texas.rivals.com/news/texas-scores-again-with-commitment-from-elite-rb-jerrick-gibson

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Texas goes into Florida and back to back years gets the best RB in the Nation.  Baxter 2023 and now Jerrick Gibson.  IMG kid who started at Gainesville, HS.  Tashard Choice helluva Job recruiting RB's.  Sending 2 to the NFL Last year and 1 in the 1st round will help with Recruitng.  

https://texas.rivals.com/news/texas-scores-again-with-commitment-from-elite-rb-jerrick-gibson

All it took was a Georgia Tech guy...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Lufkin will surprise some teams this year. Same district as Lancaster and Longview. Those will be the measuring stick games and I think they're talented enough to get 1 of the 2 (Lancaster likely). Very talented 25 class. DT 6'4 300 Zion Williams just picked up a Alabama offer. RB Kedren Young committed to Notre Dame a few weeks ago is in for another huge season. DCTFM predicts a 5th place finish also behind Forney and McKinney North. I just don't see it and both of those teams will travel to Lufkin. I can't wait just have to make through July lol

• Like 1

Seen a partial list of DCTF preseason rankings. Can't find the whole list on the site yet.

As expected in b-ball, Duncanville's days of representing the state on a national level are over unless they get a truckload of transfers. They got handled at the TABC this past week. Plano East, SA Brennan, and Round Rock Stony Point look legit. May finally start to see a slight shift in power in the state this year.

Former Texas High QB and Razorback Ryan Mallet Drowned in Fl today.  Was also Head Football Coach at White Hall HIgh School in Florida.   Lived in Arkansas but played Football at Texas High in Texarkana was the #2 QB in the nation and Gatorade player of the year in Texas in 2006.  Won the Glenn Davis Army award in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in 2007 as the best player on the West Team.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-nfl-arkansas-qb-ryan-mallett-dies-in-reported-drowning-at-35-224640650.html

• Sad 1

Top 100 Texas HS Football Programs the last 6 years

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2023/01/24/the-top-100-texas-high-school-football-programs-2023-texas-high-school-football-program-rankings?ref=related_title

Don't agree with Aledo over Carthage.  Same amount of Championships and appearances.  Carthage is 87 - 2 vs. Aledo 85 - 6 the last 6 years.  They need to play each other. 

Today: The Top 100
2023 Rank    School    Class    Record    State Titles    Title Games    10-Win Seasons    Last Year    1-Year ?
1    Aledo    5A    (85-6)    4    5    6    1    —
2    Carthage    4A    (87-2)    4    4    6    2    —
3    Mart    2A    (86-8)    3    5    6    3    —
4    Austin Westlake    6A    (86-5)    3    3    6    5    ↑ 1
5    Gunter    3A    (87-6)    2    4    6    4    ↓ 1
6    Galena Park North Shore    6A    (84-8)    3    4    5    7    ↑ 1
7    Duncanville    6A    (78-7)    1    4    6    14    ↑ 7
8    Refugio    2A    (78-9)    1    3    6    9    ↑ 1
9    Highland Park    6A    (74-7)    2    2    6    6    ↓ 3
10    Strawn    1A    (67-16)    3    3    4    8    ↓ 2

Carthage re-loaded.  Too bad they didn't step out this year in the Pre-District.    

Jett Surratt has been there for every step of Carthage's dynasty. Now he gets to quarterback it.  Both QB and RB Soph's with D-1 offers and didn't start on State Championship team last year. 

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2023/06/22/jett-surratt-is-ready-to-further-the-carthage-legacy-he-was-born-into?ref=related_title

High School Football America's top 300 HS Football teams from Texas.  Shown in order of their top 300 Ranking.  Dville ranked 8th is the highest ranked Team from Texas.  Non 6A Shown in Bold.  36 Teams from Texas.  Florida leads the way with 43 followed by Georgia with 32 and Cali with 31.   #103 Atascocita will play #47 East St. Louis

No. 8 Duncanville

No. 17 North Shore 

No. 21 DeSoto

No. 26 Westlake

No. 34 Katy

No. 36 Denton Guyer

No. 46 Southlake Carroll

No. 60 Aledo

No. 65 Vandegrift

No. 77 Westfield 

No. 81 Longview

No. 88 Prosper