Can JSerra beat Mater Dei?

ECHS05

I feel good about JSerra taking down Mater Dei this week...

Maybe another Centennial AZ over St. Thomas Aquinas FL type call?

Most OOS games are over and I didnt feel good enough about any underdogs to make a call like that this season.

How big of an upset would JSerra over Mater Dei be?

• Like 1

What makes you think that JSerra will beat MD? 

Is it the big win over that annual pretender OLU? 

The close game with SJB? 

Or the barely escaping Bishop Amat? 

I haven't really smoked it over a lot yet, but, I can't see JSerra beating MD at this point. MD obviously had a rough game against SJB but I ain't throwing dirt on their pine box yet.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It's gonna be a tough row to hoe for JSerra against a pissed off MD squad that got embarrassed on Fox Sports. I mean, MD got beat almost as bad as St. Louis beat Kamehameha. I bet they come out with a helluva chip on their shoulder against JSerra. 

Decent perspective. This is the main thing that concerns about a potential playoff rematch.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Decent perspective. This is the main thing that concerns about a potential playoff rematch.

I don't know Rollinson, but, I know he's a good coach. Good coaches find fuel for their team's emotions. I think MD may have plenty of fuel now. The tank is probably full and they might even have a nitrous bottle under the hood after that embarrassing loss. 

The real question is, can they temper the emotions and not burn the fuel all at once? I think the coach is good enough to keep them on the correct plane. It's much easier playing from behind, which is where they are now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I don't know Rollinson, but, I know he's a good coach. Good coaches find fuel for their team's emotions. I think MD may have plenty of fuel now. The tank is probably full and they might even have a nitrous bottle under the hood after that embarrassing loss. 

The real question is, can they temper the emotions and not burn the fuel all at once? I think the coach is good enough to keep them on the correct plane. It's much easier playing from behind, which is where they are now. 

You know Hawg, I appreciate what your are saying, but I blame myself for what happened Saturday night.  We had our kids jacked up so much they couldn't think.  Our QB was overthrowing receivers, and our guys lost concentration and missed assignments.

Our staff is taking full responsibility for what happened.  We didn't prepare the kids sufficiently.

But you know, ya gotta give St. John Bosco credit.  They took it too us and played an outstanding football game.  But you Hawg, we are gonna get better.  We're still a young team, and are learing how to play together.  Our QB and receivers have never worked together, and these things take time to develop.   Stay tuned to Fox next month. 

But you know we gotta get ready for JSerra now.  That's a doggone good football team, and if we don't come together as a team, we will get beat.  That's my biggest concern now, is how the kids  will react when they get to school on Monday.

Hey.  Thanks for the support in picking us in the pickem.  We won't let you down next time.#DillyDilly

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, The Stache said:

You know Hawg, I appreciate what your are saying, but I blame myself for what happened Saturday night.  We had our kids jacked up so much they couldn't think.  Our QB was overthrowing receivers, and our guys lost concentration and missed assignments.

Our staff is taking full responsibility for what happened.  We didn't prepare the kids sufficiently.

But you know, ya gotta give St. John Bosco credit.  They took it too us and played an outstanding football game.  But you Hawg, we are gonna get better.  We're still a young team, and are learing how to play together.  Our QB and receivers have never worked together, and these things take time to develop.   Stay tuned to Fox next month. 

But you know we gotta get ready for JSerra now.  That's a doggone good football team, and if we don't come together as a team, we will get beat.  That's my biggest concern now, is how the kids  will react when they get to school on Monday.

Hey.  Thanks for the support in picking us in the pickem.  We won't let you down next time.#DillyDilly

I have to admit that I was having serious second thoughts about my pick before the game. I should have went with my gut rather than what I thought should happen. 

You guys had the target on your back and didn't play the emotional side of the game correctly. SJB did, and it showed. 

You're right though, about getting ready for JSerra. I bet nobody told them they are supposed to lose to y'all. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I have to admit that I was having serious second thoughts about my pick before the game. I should have went with my gut rather than what I thought should happen. 

You guys had the target on your back and didn't play the emotional side of the game correctly. SJB did, and it showed. 

You're right though, about getting ready for JSerra. I bet nobody told them they are supposed to lose to y'all. 

Who are you talking to 😂

AAAB0486-48A8-48C3-A4B5-E1398EE3BD5B.gif

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Most OOS games are over and I didnt feel good enough about any underdogs to make a call like that this season.

They won't do it. MD may come into game demoralized, but I just see the gap as too large. J. Serra is good, but definitely not in top tier. J. Serra gave Bosco a game, but that Bosco was not the one that showed up for prime time the other night. 

Mater Dei had some trouble with IMG’s elite run game.  They couldn’t control SJB’s elite passing game.  Plus, SJB put the MD QB into situations where he couldn’t always dictate how the play would go.  J Serra has a good but not elite run game, and ditto for their passing attack.  Defensively they won’t be able to force MD’s hand.  

MD wins.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

What makes you think that JSerra will beat MD? 

Is it the big win over that annual pretender OLU? 

The close game with SJB? 

Or the barely escaping Bishop Amat? 

I haven't really smoked it over a lot yet, but, I can't see JSerra beating MD at this point. MD obviously had a rough game against SJB but I ain't throwing dirt on their pine box yet.

JSerras win over Pinnacle, thrashing of OLu, and close game with SJB all.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

I have not seen JSerra play so this is strictly a guess but even though MD is clearly not the unbeatable team of last year I expect a bounce back win over JSerra by two or three scores.

If Jserra can control the LOS like IMG and Bosco did they have a chance

Mater Dei's front 7 was always a question mark this season and against similar or above talent they have been exposed .

I think Jserra finds success on the ground and hits a couple big plays over the top of whoever MD's two top corners are not guarding.

They keep it close for 3 quarters, but would not be surprised if Jserra pulls off an upset.

18 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

JSerra is a really good team. I would be surprised but not shocked. I put it at 30% chance of happening.

18 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

I think MD comes out on fire this week after being embarrassed by SJB.  They want to come out and prove they are the best and that the SJB was just an anomaly.   Just my opinion.  However, I would not be shocked if JSerra were to pull it out. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

JSerra is a really good team. I would be surprised but not shocked. I put it at 30% chance of happening.

Come on,  MD all the way !  Way too much hype for JSerra.  Beating OLU means nothing right now. OLU is just fading away for the rest of season. Everytime I watch OLU, their body language says they are just going through the motions. They have no emotion at all. Jserra is just good. They will lose to all the top teams in CA., including Folsom. Believe me , Folsom would roll against Jserra, and I, like most here on the board, really dislike Folsom, but they are very good. MD by at least two td's, and that is only because they carry a hangover from last week.

14 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Folsom would roll against Jserra,

I've seen no evidence that suggests Folsom would "roll" any team with a pulse. Foslom is a good team no doubt, but it seems that whenever Folsom is beating someone it's a hypothetical and not an actual result.

Edit:

Since 2012, Folsom is 4-5 against CalPreps Top100 teams and 0-4 against CalPreps Top25 teams. They haven't beaten a single Top25 team in the last 6+ seasons yet they would roll a near consensus Top20 team this year? Seriously?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, The Stache said:

But you know, ya gotta give St. John Bosco credit.  They took it too us and played an outstanding football game.  But you know Hawg, we are gonna get better.  We're still a young team, and are learing how to play together.  Our QB and receivers have never worked together, and these things take time to develop.   Stay tuned to Fox next month. 

I appreciate that the Stache took the time to chat with us after what had to be a very disappointing game.  Much respect.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, dntn31 said:

I've seen no evidence that suggests Folsom would "roll" any team with a pulse. Foslom is a good team no doubt, but it seems that whenever Folsom is beating someone it's a hypothetical and not an actual result.

Edit:

Since 2012, Folsom is 4-5 against CalPreps Top100 teams and 0-4 against CalPreps Top25 teams. They haven't beaten a single Top25 team in the last 6+ seasons yet they would roll a near consensus Top20 team this year? Seriously?

This yr's  team is different. They are probably as good as the 2014 Folsom team. I know they don't play anyone other than DLS, but it's a shame that you socal people won't get a chance to see them against the J Serra's and the likes. There is no way J serra's defense would stop them. DLS is experienced in going against a Folsom and Centennials. Most teams would not no how to defend them. Their receivers are collectively the best in the state. Their running back is elite.  Their lines are good, and they have good speed on their defense. They also now have a couple of players, I do believe,  that are now eligable to play, which only adds to their talent base. I'm not saying they would beat a SJB, MD, maybe Cen10, but everyone else in socal I would lay money on Folsom. Whatever scrub they play in the D-1 game is going to be a total embarrassment. Folsom's their own worse enemy for not getting the recognition that this team warrants. They should have scheduled SJB,  and another top team like a MV or J Serra, plus an oos team.  So, I agree, their is no way I could ever prove my assessment of them. Just watch them in person at the State finals this season, and you will see the size and speed and talent they have. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dntn31 said:

I've seen no evidence that suggests Folsom would "roll" any team with a pulse.

While I can't say that you'd end up being wrong, my issue with your reasoning is that what Folsom has done or not done in previous seasons has absolutely no bearing on what might happen this season. It's really silly to even suggest that one has anything to do with the other. If Folsom's 2012 or 2013 teams were going to play a top 25 team from this season -- your point would have some merit.

But Folsom's 2018 team is a different team than those before them (they have more talent; better line play) and played a top 25 team in week 0 and competed fairly even. While they did lose, it doesn't mean they couldn't beat another top 25 team with whom they might match up even better against. Or perhaps they're even better than they were 2 months ago which would help bridge any gaps?

If Folsom's 0-4 record against top 25 (historically) meant what you're suggesting, then they should never play another one of those games because the past says they'll never win one of them. I suppose future IMG teams should never face MD again since this current team failed, right? (yes, I know CA won't allow them to play again).

Sorry, I just see citing past results of teams that contained entirely different rosters as missing the mark entirely. It's akin to claiming there's no evidence to suggest Buffalo and Minnesota can ever win a Super Bowl because they are both 0-4 all-time. The only thing the current and future players have in common is that they wear the same uniforms and play in the same city.

7 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

While I can't say that you'd end up being wrong, my issue with your reasoning is that what Folsom has done or not done in previous seasons has absolutely no bearing on what might happen this season. It's really silly to even suggest that one has anything to do with the other. If Folsom's 2012 or 2013 teams were going to play a top 25 team from this season -- your point would have some merit.

But Folsom's 2018 team is a different team than those before them (they have more talent; better line play) and played a top 25 team in week 0 and competed fairly even. While they did lose, it doesn't mean they couldn't beat another top 25 team with whom they might match up even better against. Or perhaps they're even better than they were 2 months ago which would help bridge any gaps?

If Folsom's 0-4 record against top 25 (historically) meant what you're suggesting, then they should never play another one of those games because the past says they'll never win one of them. I suppose future IMG teams should never face MD again since this current team failed, right? (yes, I know CA won't allow them to play again).

Sorry, I just see citing past results of teams that contained entirely different rosters as missing the mark entirely. It's akin to claiming there's no evidence to suggest Buffalo and Minnesota can ever win a Super Bowl because they are both 0-4 all-time. The only thing the current and future players have in common is that they wear the same uniforms and play in the same city.

Fair enough.

I've seen no evidence that suggests Folsom would "roll" any team with a pulse. Foslom is a good team no doubt, but it seems that whenever Folsom is beating someone it's a hypothetical and not an actual result.

Since 2018, Folsom is 0-1 against CalPreps Top100 teams and 0-1 against CalPreps Top25 teams. They haven't beaten a single Top100 team in the last 1 season yet they would roll a near consensus Top20 team? Seriously?