Open Div Coming to CIFSS

SoCalFball

On 5/24/2019 at 12:43 PM, The Guru said:

POPS: De La Salle has the greatest high school football program of all-time. Their coaching staff is the best at maximizing potential and their Brotherhood is the best at getting players to play harder than any team in the country.

(STA vs DLS announced)

POPS: De La Salle should have no chance! This should be perceived as a massacre! They should be a 50-point underdog! This is the biggest talent imbalance of any national game, ever! How is this even close?!

2014 class only Corey Holmes played I believe vs DLS (had a TD pass ruled incomplete in 4th qtr).   He never panned out in college.   Moten can’t recall.  

Hamilton played on one leg vs DLS and not sure he made it to the half before calling it a day.  A Wagner commit played well in his place.  

Skubal was a BC commit for LS only, but he did have a very nice pick vs DLS (read  Houston’s look perfectly).  Played ILB for STA. 

O’Korn was backup QB to Lescano that game   

2BDA98E9-FD08-43DB-A26D-C2BC56198229.thumb.png.bfa5ed17f10df60223f863895d577d4e.png

Cox Jr (Ohio to FL move, dad coaching w Dolphins) and a “Northern Arizona” :) commit were the starting transfer additions I believe.  

Bosa and Cox were helpful vs the run no doubt and are in the NFL.  A safety 2 star rated James Crawford played all 3 levels of D at Illinois and is in the NFL at over 240 pounds now.  

Not exactly an IMG roster at that time and that was HC Casullo’s first season.  

F8E30C78-1740-4A2D-A682-02D63179940C.png

40A2ACEC-6F89-40B7-84BF-2DB3118DEAE9.png

2 hours ago, Pops said:

GOT’s hottest hottie imho, unless you want to count that slave that taught Daenerys how to make Khal Drogo happy 

LOL GOT reference.  I’ll play along. As applied to CA football, DLS are the Starks, honorable king of the north.  Folsom are the wildlings, can’t get past DLS wall.  Protectors of the realm all down here in Kings Landing.  MD (Lannister’s) SJB House Tyrell.  Narbonne the sellsword Golden Company.  Sammy is of course the many face god.

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, On2whls said:

If teams are hovering 7-10, they might all lay down a bit towards the end, hoping for the coveted 9th spot, instead of the dreaded 8 ball.  

One article says they are looking st more sweeping changes for 2020. They cited MD, SJB, and Cen10 as the reason they are making the changes.

Yeah, but that's during league play and a league title might be at stake. Lets say San Clam is at 10 vs. St. Mission Viejo at 4-5. You think they would lay down a chance to win league to get a D2 slot?

3 minutes ago, bigrobstercraws said:

Yeah, but that's during league play and a league title might be at stake. Lets say San Clam is at 10 vs. St. Mission Viejo at 4-5. You think they would lay down a chance to win league to get a D2 slot?

It’s a good question.  In your example San Clam could win and maybe just move to 9.  My point is this: If you finish 8, guaranteed pummeling in first round.  Finish 9, you’re still a decent team but you get to avoid the areas best, likely get to play a few games and should be in the mix for a title.  It’s almost like a self serve Folsom rule.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, On2whls said:

It’s a good question.  In your example San Clam could win and maybe just move to 9.  My point is this: If you finish 8, guaranteed pummeling in first round.  Finish 9, you’re still a decent team but you get to avoid the areas best, likely get to play a few games and should be in the mix for a title.  It’s almost like a self serve Folsom rule.

Most times, St MV would be a top 4 team so a win vs. them would vault them into the Top 8. 
But, if they did have a poor non-league, your scenario would happen with them just outside the 8. IMO, it should be 4 since lately it's SJB, MD, Cen10 and either Oaks, or St MV. The top 2 are way above everybody else but, 3-4 usually are a tier above the rest of 5 and below. Teams 5-16 or 5-20 with the new format would be a much more interesting playoff that still would include a couple national teams. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Not exactly an IMG roster at that time and that was HC Casullo’s first season. 

Yeah, what's ironic is that wasn't a particularly "loaded" team. That roster had 5 seniors who went to the Ivy League and another that went to a service academy.

The program was just a really tight ship at that point and it never gets any credit for that. It's always whiny clowns taking shots instead of appreciating how good the program was.

42 minutes ago, SoCalFball said:

I wanna know how will they select the top 8. I understand they will use the wild card formula but how does that work with 24 team. 

I am interested to see how this works out as well!... This year it will be pretty easy with 4 from the TL, The 2 Power Public's and Oaks.... I am guessing the #8 team would be the Mission League Winner or Maybe Long Beach Poly... But Poly has unfortunately fallen off though which is crazy to think that the Great LBP is now a D2 Level Team!...

It will be interesting to see how the teams in the Mission League and Marmonte League teams go forward with this as those 2 leagues will be the ones who will get the "Automatic Birth" in the Open Bracket So to speak... I think both of those leagues are all private schools, are they going go the route of the others with transfers, etc to be competitive in the Open Bracket?..

And will Poly make a comeback? It would be so cool to see 3 Public's in a Bracket like this that are Competitive!... 

With the HSFB Landscape the way it is now in So Cal, this is the right set-up and no matter what Formula is used it will come down to "Automatic Birth's" for the TL-4, Mission League-1, Marmonte League-1, The Real CC, and South Coast League Champ (Assuming MV)... I could see the Trinity getting 3 and one of those other Leagues getting 2 if Say a Calabasas is a 1 loss team with their only loss to Oaks...

It would be an interesting Decision, do you take a 5-5 OLU Type of team or a 9-1 Calabasas? Or How about a 9-1 Bishop Amat or 8-2 Serra, Do they go instead of a 5-5 TL Team?.... This could all get pretty interesting!... Whatever formula they use I think they got it right and it will make a much better Playoff's for All Levels!... :) 

And how about this thought, a 5-5 TL team, 8-2 Bishop Amat or Serra, and LBP all now dropping into the D2 Playoffs and Possibly going to a SBG... Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out!!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

This is the wild card formula that they will also use to determine the Top 8 teams that will go into D1

(a) Head-to-head competition of teams under consideration (4 points)
(b) Overall strength of the league from which the team is entered based on theend of season rankings (1 point)
(c) Overall win-loss record (1 point)
(d) Strength against common opponents (1 point)
(e) Strength of schedule (2 points, using overall win-loss record of opponents)
(f) In case of a statistical tie after all the above criteria has been considered the committee shall break the tie.

1 hour ago, SoCalFball said:

I don’t think the Trinity would get 4 especially with a hypothetically 5-5 OLU. I think Bosco, MD, Jserra, Cen10, and MV will almost be locks yearly. Then the last three spots could be any team depending on who’s good year to year. 

JSerra ought not be part of the annual cinches — until recently they were behind all of servite, SM, and OLu fairly regularly and I’m not sure they have put anything in place yet that we ought to assume that longevity or consistency 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 5/25/2019 at 12:49 AM, Slotback Right said:

Sounds right. A win against Mater Dei or SJB seems very unlikely. We should be able to defeat North, Cajon, Villa Park, Orange Lutheran, and Santa Margarita for 5 wins. That leaves Bishop Gorman, Notre Dame, and J Serra. We'd need two of those to get to 7-3. Not an easy task, to be sure. 

I love quoting myself when I turn out to be right, especially from 3 months before the season even started. 😎