Point Spreads for ESPN games on 8/23 and 8/24

playballintxandmi

2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

I question the epistemological valuations of the algorithm.

I’m a DeMatha fan and I will admit, we are bi polar when it comes to nationally ranked OOS games. One year we get crushed by STA and another we beat Miami Central and AHP. I hope McGregor will level us out in that aspect, but it also adds to the intrigue of what type of DeMatha you’re going to get. It’ll be interesting nonetheless. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DLS350 said:

Looking at a still pic, yes, his knee was down. Watching it at game speed, it looks like a fumble. The refs have a split to see the play and rule on it. I wouldn’t want to be a ref at any level, you’re damn if you do and damned if you don’t!!

If that frame wasn't so blurry you could see me in the background on the sideline. Standing there it honestly looked like a clear fumble, it was just perfect timing with him extending his arms and the ball coming out it made it look like he was losing control while going down. But, when you look at the replay his knee was clearly down... what can you do though? The refs did everything they could, immediately following the play they all huddled up and came to a conclusion.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

Just busting your chops brother.  I know you're not him.  I think. Lol

For what it's worth, I don't think they are the same person at all.  Block is like a lap dog that can't contain himself. He eventually ends up peeing all over the furniture and outs himself despite new screen names.  Extremely is more like a, well, a bulldog.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

I’m a DeMatha fan and I will admit, we are bi polar when it comes to nationally ranked OOS games. One year we get crushed by STA and another we beat Miami Central and AHP. I hope McGregor will level us out in that aspect, but it also adds to the intrigue of what type of DeMatha you’re going to get. It’ll be interesting nonetheless. 

I honestly believe this will come down to four primary factors:

1.  The untested secondary’s ability to hold arguably the best qb in the U. S. in reasonable check.

2.  The performance-in his first game-of DeMatha’s talented transfer qb.  Malakai Anthony has a great deal of potential.  Eighth, ninth, tenth grade he was thought of as among the best in the Mid Atlantic.  Now, in twelfth grade we’ll find out....early. (I must note he has an Ivy League scholarship:  bravo!!!)

3.  The team’s ability to adjust to playing on the West Coast.  A 6:00PM start (9:00 EST) is helpful but will a day and a half in CA (I am guessing they arrive late Thursday morning) be enough?

4.  DeMatha has an extraordinary offensive line by any measure and a truly gifted rb.  Bill has long deferred to a run control offense (great backs dating to the early ‘80’s).  Can DM control the ball enough that SJB simply does not have that much time with the ball?

Bill was willing to play DLS late in their 151 game streak.  Same situation in that DM would have been flying to the West Coast to play them.  But that game would have been in December.  Similar to the late ‘90’s game DM had/has a great deal of talent.  There are at least 13 players on this team that will play at major division one schools. Perhaps more.

He thought he could beat DLS then but didn’t get the chance.  I believe today that, similar to DLS at their best, Bill believes he can win.

Bill McGregor, named the national high school football coach of the year by the NFL and who has had a team on the back of a box of Cheerios (!) -has a chance to make an incredible statement on his return to DeMatha.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

1.  The untested secondary’s ability to hold arguably the best qb in the U. S. in reasonable check.

2.  The performance-in his first game-of DeMatha’s talented transfer qb.  Malakai Anthony has a great deal of potential.  Eighth, ninth, tenth grade he was thought of as among the best in the Mid Atlantic.  Now, in twelfth grade we’ll find out....early. (I must note he has an Ivy League scholarship:  bravo!!!)

3.  The team’s ability to adjust to playing on the West Coast.  A 6:00PM start (9:00 EST) is helpful but will a day and a half in CA (I am guessing they arrive late Thursday morning) be enough?

4.  DeMatha has an extraordinary offensive line by any measure and a truly gifted rb.  Bill has long deferred to a run control offense (great backs dating to the early ‘80’s).  Can DM control the ball enough that SJB simply does not have that much time with the ball?

Bill was willing to play DLS late in their 151 game streak.  Same situation in that DM would have been flying to the West Coast to play them.  But that game would have been in December.  Similar to the late ‘90’s game DM had/has a great deal of talent.  There are at least 13 players on this team that will play at major division one schools. Perhaps more.

He thought he could beat DLS then but didn’t get the chance.  I believe today that, similar to DLS at their best, Bill believes he can win.

Bill McGregor, named the national high school football coach of the year by the NFL and who has had a team on the back of a box of Cheerios (!) -has a chance to make an incredible statement on his return to DeMatha.

Much as I hope that DeMatha can upset or at least keep it close I think the Stags are in over their head. I saw Bosco in person two years ago and DeMatha several times last year and SJB was clearly the more impressive team. Add the fact that an unproven QB is making his first DeMatha start and the inexperience in the secondary and at wr and I suspect this will be similar to last year's STA game. I'd say 35-13 SJB...hope I'm wrong.

22 minutes ago, WCACguy said:

Much as I hope that DeMatha can upset or at least keep it close I think the Stags are in over their head. I saw Bosco in person two years ago and DeMatha several times last year and SJB was clearly the more impressive team. Add the fact that an unproven QB is making his first DeMatha start and the inexperience in the secondary and at wr and I suspect this will be similar to last year's STA game. I'd say 35-13 SJB...hope I'm wrong.

SJB is the definite favorite. DM is much better than last year, so they’ll have a chance. That’s about all I’ll say until I see who shows up at DM day #1. I’ve heard rumors of additions.

I get why everyone brings up the STA game, but it’s really meaningless. Many of these national brand names have taken very bad OOS losses and put together great seasons the next year. It happens when you play these games. IMG, DLS, Miami Central, DM, SJC, etc... all included in that statement. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Do you think they can beat SJB?

44 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Do you think they can beat SJB?

SJB has to be the favorite-realistically two td’s because of their QB and it is a coastal trip for DM.  But, I honestly believe DM has a chance.  They have the talent to compete with anyone (and, yes, SJB is “anyone!”).  

NicholasMalibu’s comment noting “rumors of additions” is really interesting.

And, does DM have a really good kicker?  Years ago a very good DM team (anyone remember Kenny Tate?) went to Cincinnati’s Herbstreit and played St. X who were really strong.  But they had a great kicker who buried DM all afternoon with his booming 45-50+ yard punts and kickoffs in the end zone.  I believe every drive started deep innDM’s own territory.

Any thoughts on SJB’s kicker (s)?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 11:04 AM, Nolebull813 said:

Word from my Cali connect that DLS is trying to track down the refs from the Lakeland game to come officiate the STA game. 

I will reserve bets until further notice 

DLS didn’t have an officiating advantage vs Lakeland 

Offensive linemen are not allowed to tackle defensive linemen and you don’t get a free pass just because you were called for it on previous play or three 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pops said:

DLS didn’t have an officiating advantage vs Lakeland 

Offensive linemen are not allowed to tackle defensive linemen and you don’t get a free pass just because you were called for it on previous play or three 

Never got to see the game, but I’ve read a bunch of threads on it and most do mention officiating.   I’m probably harsher on refs than @steeler01 too.

http://yappi.com/forum/index.php?threads/california-refs-have-no-shame.194436/page-2

hopefully one day I can find a replay of that one. 

On 7/23/2019 at 9:38 AM, playballintxandmi said:

Dutch Fork -26 vs Mallard Creek

DLS -14.5 vs STA

SFA -14 vs Miami Central

Carol City -17.5 vs Deerfield Beach

SJB -27.5 vs Dematha

Narbonne -6.5 vs Buchanan

Southern Columbia (PA) -24.5 vs Hammond School SC

DLS -14? Are you kidding me?! Did the whole STA varsity squad all come down with Lyme Disease or something? This pretty much guarantees an STA win 😞

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

SJB is the definite favorite. DM is much better than last year, so they’ll have a chance. That’s about all I’ll say until I see who shows up at DM day #1. I’ve heard rumors of additions.

I get why everyone brings up the STA game, but it’s really meaningless. Many of these national brand names have taken very bad OOS losses and put together great seasons the next year. It happens when you play these games. IMG, DLS, Miami Central, DM, SJC, etc... all included in that statement. 

The one thing I've learned in following the WCAC over the years is that if a kid or kids are not there now, highly unlikely they will be there day #1 which is next Thurs (1 Aug).  The process of enrolling into one of the WCAC schools is a process and if the kid needs money, that is another process that can take even longer. 

2 hours ago, WCACFan said:

The one thing I've learned in following the WCAC over the years is that if a kid or kids are not there now, highly unlikely they will be there day #1 which is next Thurs (1 Aug).  The process of enrolling into one of the WCAC schools is a process and if the kid needs money, that is another process that can take even longer. 

Very true. We’ll see. 

4 hours ago, Kalven said:

I will try my hardest to go to the DLS game. Been checking online for the tickets.

Tix will be available soon online. Season tix will go first then individual games. Shouldn’t be a problem either way.There were still tix for Folsom available last year and they traveled heavy. Most people here in NorCal will be like...who’s STA? 🤣

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 954gator said:

Never got to see the game, but I’ve read a bunch of threads on it and most do mention officiating.   I’m probably harsher on refs than @steeler01 too.

It’s pretty unfortunate that the outcome of games is ever influenced by incompetent officiating.   You can expect an honest mistake here and there but I’ve seen teams get worked the entire game.  I’ve seen it happen more at private school games than all public affairs.  It’s pretty funny to sit there and listen to public address announcers at some of theses private schools go on about “sportsmanship” prior to the game.  Translation:  Please be quiet and orderly while we screw you over.  Thanks and enjoy the game LOL.

On 7/24/2019 at 8:14 PM, NicholasMalibu said:

The Baltimore board suggests DeMatha may have picked up three transfers from McDonogh including a wr/db who could really help their secondary (rising jr has a Rutgers offer and is listed on the DM roster).   Could there be others?