Alumbaugh speaks on DLS

Ararar

CONCORD — Two summers ago, on the heels of a blowout loss to St. John Bosco in the previous season’s Open Division state championship game, De La Salle players couldn’t possibly forget the outcome.

The number 56 — Bosco’s point total — was copied on sheets of paper and taped to thelocker and weight room walls.

The program has found another way to motivate itself.

Bay_Area_Top_25.jpg?fit=620%2C9999px&ssl=1These days, De La Salle players only need to look at the school’s new video scoreboard to recall what happened in last season’s Open state final, a more respectable but third consecutive defeat on the California Interscholastic Federation’s big stage.

De La Salle is still the undisputed king of the region, having not lost to a California school north of the Fresno area since 1991. But for the past three years, the program that once won a national record 151 games in a row has fallen short of scaling the Southern California mountain, losing to Mater Dei-Santa Ana 52-21 in 2017 and 35-21 last season after being beaten by Bosco of Bellflower 56-33 in 2016.

The new video board at De La Salle was installed this summer. The Mater Dei game from last December remains its feature presentation.

“That game has been up every day since the scoreboard went up,” coach Justin Alumbaugh said. “We just need a subtle reminder. It’s a subtle reminder that we can’t be fumbling, turnovers, guys out of a position on defense a couple of times.

“It’s just a subtle reminder that the little things matter. That’s why we talk to the kids about that. That’s why we have it up there. It’s not to berate them or anything like that. It’s to give them a reminder that the little things matter, simple things like touching the line when we’re conditioning, making sure you have your ankle braces out at practice. Just adding things up, they manifest themselves in a big game like that. We have a big game coming early, and we want to make sure our kids are focused on all those little things.”

The first big game of 2019 is Friday in Concord, opening night on national television against Florida powerhouse St. Thomas Aquinas, ranked No. 1 in the nation by USA Today. Aquinas has sent its share of players to big-time colleges and the NFL, including the Bosa brothers, Joey and Nick.

Loading video

For more Bay Area high school sports coverage follow Bay Area Preps on Flipboard.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited for a game,” De La Salle quarterback Dorian Hale said. “I thought last year, Folsom, was a really big game. But now St. Thomas Aquinas coming in for an ESPN game, I can’t wait.”

De La Salle ignited its 2018 season last August, beating high-powered Folsom 14-0 in a highly-anticipated opener. Led by two-way stars Henry To’oto’o and Isaiah Foskey, DLS marched through the regular season undefeated and captured a 27th consecutive North Coast Section championship before the Mater Dei defeat.

To’oto’o (Tennessee) and Foskey (Notre Dame) have moved on, but the Spartans return several notables. They include a quartet who made the Bay Area Preps HQ Fab 40 preseason player list — running back/free safety Shamar GarrettHale, receiver Grant Daley and receiver/defensive back Lu Magia Hearns.

Running back/defensive back James Coby also will be counted on, as will sophomore standout Zeke Berry.

“There’s a lot of guys who played, especially on offense,” Alumbaugh said. “In our defensive backfield, we have a lot of guys who are returning. We don’t have some of the big names that we had on our defensive line. It’s going to be up to our offensive and defensive lines, to see how much they can fill the void of some of those guys who left.

“Lu was on the team last year. He has to be better than he was. Dorian has to be better. Other guys have to be better than they were last year. This team has a good vibe to it. They like working together. And they like playing football. They want to compete, and they want to get out there. So far I am pleased with their progress.”

Expectations remain as lofty as always, which is why De La Salle schedules heavyweights like Aquinas in order to get the Spartans ready for a state title run.

De La Salle has reached a state final every season since the CIF added the championship contests in 2006. The Spartans are 7-6 in those games.

“Our goal is always to win the state championship,” said Alumbaugh, who is entering his seventh season as head coach. “We know the type of team that we’re going to face if we get to the state championship. The Mater Dei’s, the St. John Bosco‘s, the Corona Centennial’s, those are the teams that have made it every year since (2012).

“If we’re able to make a state championship game, a team like Aquinas is the type of team we’re going to be playing. We know that. We have a pretty unique experience in that regard.”

Indeed, they do.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 11

This will be a dogfight in the trenches. Both teams know it. Doesn’t matter that STA is bigger. DLS will be tough. STA will be tough. 

I give the advantage to STA in the amount of Jimmies and Joes (obviously by a lot on paper).

But DLS has a HUGE advantage at QB...a QB that has pretty much every skill guy returning. This team should have chemistry out of the gate. Coach said he likes the vibe. That’s a good thing. All that can’t be taken lightly in a game like this. 

DLS needs to get up early and make STA play catch up, and this could go Sparty’s way. Easier said than done, of course. 🙃

• Like 3

I believe STA will win handily. I believe this because:

1. Bigger and faster upfront 

2. More/Better skill position players

3. Huge QB advantage

4. STA has been training in the heat and humidity of FL and is primed for a game like this early in the season

5. DLS has been known to start slow. The scouting in the scrimmages confirms this for this year as well. 

6. DLS will be forced to pass later in the game and they aren't used to/prepared for that.

16 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

did I mention I dislike watching TV games live

Totally! It sucks for us at the game. BUT...the good news is that a game that should take two hours will now take three thanks to TV timeouts and ESPN doing biographies on D1 prospects all night. That should (hopefully) help the two-way guys for DLS. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, frankyjames said:

I believe STA will win handily. I believe this because:

1. Bigger and faster upfront   True, STA will be bigger upfront. Doubt they will get off the ball faster than DLS will.

2. More/Better skill position players No question M. Rosemy and their safety Royal are great players but DLS has a lot of their skill players coming back  

3. Huge QB advantage REALLY??? You do know STA just settled on their starting QB last week and this will be Z. Turner's first start right. And you know that Hale started all of last year as a soph. and took some snaps as a freshman so he is very comfortable.

4. STA has been training in the heat and humidity of FL and is primed for a game like this early in the season This is a wash, DLS has been practicing in the heat as well. And there's something to be said about playing at home.

5. DLS has been known to start slow. The scouting in the scrimmages confirms this for this year as well. True, they sometimes start slow and sometimes they don't. Coach A. feels pretty good about where the team is right now so there's that. 

6. DLS will be forced to pass later in the game and they aren't used to/prepared for that. Perhaps STA will be forced to pass late in the game and the rookie QB could feel the pressure of being in his first game, playing on the road across the country, and on national TV.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I like your answers but whoever you were responding to doesn’t know much about either team. 

Prolly should temper his game a bit on his local regional board 

You know, at first I thought franky was not block.  Then I was pretty sure that he was.  Now, I am beginning to lean towards it being you....

2 minutes ago, Rippers said:

You know, at first I thought franky was not block.  Then I was pretty sure that he was.  Now, I am beginning to lean towards it being you....

This was my theory over a year ago but I don't even know what to think anymore... @PrepGridiron could probably settle it by looking at the IPs. I want to give Sammy the benefit of the doubt but he's diabolical enough to pull this off. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, frankyjames said:

Please try to use periods and paragraphs next time. You are difficult to understand. 

3 hours ago, frankyjames said:

*You've

@Rippers.... This is all you need to see to know that this is "Block"... No one else on this Board other then "Block" and@Extremely Humble corrects Posters Grammar and Spelling when they are Frustrated.... It must be a Folsom Fan Thing... :) :) 

Or... With the Screen Name "Frankie James" and an Avatar that says "Proud Mom of a US Sailor", maybe we have a Female Posting on the board?.... If that is the case, @frankyjames ,Welcome to the Board Madam!!!!.... :) :) :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, THEOC89 said:

@Rippers.... This is all you need to see to know that this is "Block"... No one else on this Board other then "Block" and@Extremely Humble corrects Posters Grammar and Spelling when they are Frustrated.... It must be a Folsom Fan Thing... :) :) 

Or... With the Screen Name "Frankie James" and an Avatar that says "Proud Mom of a US Sailor", maybe we have a Female Posting on the board?.... If that is the case, @frankyjames ,Welcome to the Board Madam!!!!.... :) :) :) 

I don’t recall correcting someone’s grammar but please do not associate me with that bozo. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, THEOC89 said:

This is all you need to see to know that this is "Block".

Missed that grammar post, I don't read every single thread.  But you're right, that correction was very block like.  As I said a day or so ago, the facade is slowly cracking and tells are beginning to show.  We'll see -unless we don't-one way or the other.

27 minutes ago, Rippers said:

Missed that grammar post, I don't read every single thread.  But you're right, that correction was very block like.  As I said a day or so ago, the facade is slowly cracking and tells are beginning to show.  We'll see -unless we don't-one way or the other.

Frankyjames is 100% Block... the question is... is Sammy block. It would make a lot of sense. I hope I’m wrong. 

• Haha 1