USC knocks off #10 Utah

RedZone

Just now, 181pl said:

Actually thrilled about this. One, because I like SC, and two, because this keeps Urban Meyer on the market. Maybe Florida state can scrounge enough pennies together and convince him to come coach. sure will probably get the death penalty afterwards but it would be worth it.

The Gator fanbase would have a whole ass Duck if Urban went to FSU... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedZone said:

Trojan back in play or Utah slightly overrated?

Utah is very physical but I don’t think they have athletes to compete with Clemson/Bama/Oklahoma type teams. Those QBs would pick them apart. Overrated. 

I think this game just showed how inconsistent Clay Helton teams are week to week. Play up to Utah’s level but play uninspired & down to BYUs level the week before. Graham Harrell on the other hand looks like a genius. There has been no drop off with 2nd & 3rd string QBs. Fink was awesome to watch. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mje44 said:

I think this game just showed how inconsistent Clay Helton teams are week to week. Play up to Utah’s level but play uninspired & down to BYUs level the week before

Hit the nail on the head there.  Coaching change has to happen sooner than later if they expect to  cash in on local talent. In Drake Jackson’s case, his dads dream was USC but not every situation will be like that.

• Like 2

To the OP I think a little bit of both but I would give USC a bit more credit because they are starting to look like a physical team on D.   The Oline can protect, but can’t run block very well (sorta like Fl this year haha).   Not a big fan of the 3rd string QB, and I think they got a bit bailed out by those jump balls, but they played with an energy that reminded me more of tUSC of old.    That safety is one hell of a tackler and obviously the WRs are SOLID.

I think Utah is pretty good, but their Oline isn’t as good as it’s been.   Utah had there chances but in the clutch moments Utah’s OL folded.   Poor Huntley had do do so much, but I don’t understand why they went away from getting guys in motion for edge runs when they got in the  Redzone!   There was NO time for the read option last night yet they kept calling it.

6 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Utah did more overall, and is probably a slightly better team overall, but USC just had more energy and did not quit once Utah got in the RZ.

If not for USC mistakes, Utah would have lost by 17.  The only thing that Utah did very well was run the ball.  Their qb had 5 or 6 plays that should have been sacks, and he was able to witchcraft his way out of.

Just now, nptb17 said:

If not for USC mistakes, Utah would have lost by 17.  The only thing that Utah did very well was run the ball.  Their qb had 5 or 6 plays that should have been sacks, and he was able to witchcraft his way out of.

Cmon man you can't take away that Utah fought to the end either.    They just couldn't get it done in the redzone, and I think those slow developing zone reads killed them when USC was bringing the heat.    They needed to get the edge guys in motion that was working for a lot of the game.   I mean look at the stats.

USC Utah.png

I will say penalties affected Utah a bit more since they weren't a big strike team.    When they got 2nd and very long they hurt more than USC.    That being said I think USC played with more energy and made the big plays.   It was impressive.   Both Utah and USC will lose a couple more games IMO, but are both pretty good.  

29 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Cmon man you can't take away that Utah fought to the end either.    They just couldn't get it done in the redzone, and I think those slow developing zone reads killed them when USC was bringing the heat.    They needed to get the edge guys in motion that was working for a lot of the game.   I mean look at the stats.

USC Utah.png

I ain't saying Utah quit or anything like that.  I'm saying the two USC turnovers directly kept this game close.  USC going in  fumbles the ball or they could have broke Utah in the first half. USC up 21 to 10 throws a pick that leads directly to a td to make it 21 to 17 and a hell match.  Granted Utah turned it over going in as well but that was after USC turned it over first.

USC needs to be a little more consistent. I watched most of the 2nd half and they did show flashes of being legit top 25. They relied on that jump ball to Pittman a bit much. He's good but Fink put too much air under some of those throws that could've easily been picked. That said, I do the like the aggressive, downfield offensive philosophy. Their D looked good when Utah got down close. 

2 hours ago, On2whls said:

Hit the nail on the head there.  Coaching change has to happen sooner than later if they expect to  cash in on local talent. In Drake Jackson’s case, his dads dream was USC but not every situation will be like that.

I agree. There current recruiting class is horrible.