OT: Serious Business

FootballGuy

Just recently, an incident took place in the middle of the night (someone tried to break in the house). My question for y'all is this: Would I have been in the wrong if I killed the intruder?

I've heard two different stories on how to handle intruders, so to be clear, could I have killed the person or just shot them without killing them?

Side note: The Smith & Wesson was begging to be unloaded...lol. 

In Georgia, if the intruder is inside your home, shoot the bastard and if he dies, he dies. You are in the clear. If he tries to run, and makes it out the door, shoot the bastard and drag him back inside, clean up any evidence that he made it outside and you are in the clear. 

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

In Georgia, if the intruder is inside your home, shoot the bastard and if he dies, he dies. You are in the clear. If he tries to run, and makes it out the door, shoot the bastard and drag him back inside, clean up any evidence that he made it outside and you are in the clear. 

Gotcha. That's one of the scenarios I was told about. 

1 hour ago, FootballGuy said:

Just recently, an incident took place in the middle of the night (someone tried to break in the house). My question for y'all is this: Would I have been in the wrong if I killed the intruder?

I've heard two different stories on how to handle intruders, so to be clear, could I have killed the person or just shot them without killing them?

Side note: The Smith & Wesson was begging to be unloaded...lol. 

What took place?  Was anybody in danger?  Were they just looking to steal your stuff?  

Deciding to kill somebody, especially if nobody is in danger, is no small thing.  If they were trying to run away, could you shoot somebody, presumably in the back, could you live with that?  If you or family are in danger I think you have every right to defend and a responsibility to defend your self/family.  Glad your safe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

What took place?  Was anybody in danger?  Were they just looking to steal your stuff?  

Deciding to kill somebody, especially if nobody is in danger, is no small thing.  If they were trying to run away, could you shoot somebody, presumably in the back, could you live with that?  If you or family are in danger I think you have every right to defend and a responsibility to defend your self/family.  Glad your safe.

It happened around 2:00 a.m. 

My 5 year old niece was spending the night with me 

I'm a light sleeper, so I hear everything. Heard a loud bang on my door, as if the person was trying to kick the door in. My niece was in her bed sleep at the time, but she immediately sat up because as soon as she her the bang. I ran to her room and grabbed her, and I could see the shadow of the person at her window.....trying to get inside. Ran to my bathroom, and I told her to stay there. Got my gun and stood at the threshold. My security system system said "front door open," so I thought the person was in my house, but he wasn't. Apparently, he or she kicked the door so hard to the point where it confused the security system. Keep in mind, I'm on the phone with 911 as this occurs. Thank God there was somebody on duty in my area, because he (the officer) was there in like 30 seconds.....No Lie! I was about to take a life that night. 

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

^^ This. And remember you were "In fear for your and your families safety".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

6 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

^^ This. And remember you were "In fear for your and your families safety".

Hope you guys are being serious. Lol 

• Like 1

Yea, it has already been said but in Georgia in general if they are in your home you can shoot.  If they are outside your home they need to be threatening your life with a weapon capable of inflicting harm from a distance, i.e. point a gun at you.  Holding a knife while outside your home won't get it, it has to be something that can harm you like a gun or bomb or flamethrower or Molotov cocktail. As the old AT&T commercial used to say they have to be able to "reach out and touch" you.  Even inside your home they have to be threatening with something capable.  Just saying they are going to hurt you is not enough unless there is an overwhelming difference in size and strength.  Even then to be in the clear, it needs to be an active threat such as advancing toward you.  If they are retreating it gets a little grey.  You may or even probably not be criminally charged but watch out for a civil suit.

Of course there are always the issues Citizen brought up to deal with after the fact.

4 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

It happened around 2:00 a.m. 

My 5 year old niece was spending the night with me 

I'm a light sleeper, so I hear everything. Heard a loud bang on my door, as if the person was trying to kick the door in. My niece was in her bed sleep at the time, but she immediately sat up because as soon as she her the bang. I ran to her room and grabbed her, and I could see the shadow of the person at her window.....trying to get inside. Ran to my bathroom, and I told her to stay there. Got my gun and stood at the threshold. My security system system said "front door open," so I thought the person was in my house, but he wasn't. Apparently, he or she kicked the door so hard to the point where it confused the security system. Keep in mind, I'm on the phone with 911 as this occurs. Thank God there was somebody on duty in my area, because he (the officer) was there in like 30 seconds.....No Lie! I was about to take a life that night. 

Scary situation.  Didn't leave you much time.  How cool was it to have someone so close?  They caught the guy I assume.  Again, glad you and your niece are safe and you didn't have to shoot anyone.

5 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Easy there Drago. 

• Like 1

Just now, World Citizen said:

Scary situation.  Didn't leave you much time.  How cool was it to have someone so close?  They caught the guy I assume.  Again, glad you and your niece are safe and you didn't have to shoot anyone.

I have no idea if they caught the guy or not. But yeah, the whole situation just made me even more aware of my surroundings. We're good tho.

I was kinda hoping that he actually got in the house because as soon as he woulda made his first step, his head woulda been blown off! But like you said, at least it didn't go that far. 

• Like 1

Just now, AztecPadre said:

Taking a human beings life is no small thing.  It will haunt your dreams. Trust me.  They say after the first one it gets easier but it doesnt. 

I know. But....all the second guessing goes out the window when someone's trying to put your life in danger. It's either be harmed or do the harming.