The Bishop

Sammyswordsman

Why is nobody talking about the Bishop this year?  They play a really good schedule and have been the nations most dominant team over the past 3 years, and hold the nations 2nd longest win streak 54 games.

Here is their early schedule:

Dematha - who everyone says is better than St. John's

Mater Dei - Composite National #1

Miami Central - #1 in Florida

DLS - Boosters calling this a Once in a Generation (OK Decade) DLS squad.

If they run these first 4 games, it will bring their win streak up to 68 by the end of the year, and have them in the hunt for a MNC

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/updating-the-nations-longest-active-football-winning-streaks

• Like 2

I think DLS will be better next year.  They will have a boatload of 3 year starters. I think that this team will have the talent of '15.  Gotta see how the QB does, however.  But the Bishop is going to be really good again this year. But after that 3 year run they had, I think people are just waiting to see how it goes(reloading)....and nobody will be surprised if they're 4-0 after that stretch. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Why is nobody talking about the Bishop this year?  They play a really good schedule and have been the nations most dominant team over the past 3 years, and hold the nations 2nd longest win streak 54 games.

If they run these first 4 games, it will bring their win streak up to 68 by the end of the year, and have them in the hunt for a MNC

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/updating-the-nations-longest-active-football-winning-streaks

Wrong! (Donald Trump voice)

Lol

1 hour ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I don't know about you, but I'm hoping that the Bishop loses to MD. 

I want to see MD meet expectations. The 90s were a long time ago. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

MC is not even number 1 in their district 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blueliner said:

I think DLS will be better next year.  They will have a boatload of 3 year starters. I think that this team will have the talent of '15.  Gotta see how the QB does, however.  But the Bishop is going to be really good again this year. But after that 3 year run they had, I think people are just waiting to see how it goes(reloading)....and nobody will be surprised if they're 4-0 after that stretch. 

Hmmm

i think this team is 

> '16

< '10-'15 (especially '15)

> '04-'09

< '98-'03

their starting rankings (#14 CP; #21 hsfba) are in line with that placement

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Of Santa Fe Springs?

Yep. I am dating myself but I am nostalgic for the old days of the Angelus League of Mater Dei, Bishop Amat, St Paul and Servite. Those were the good old days when Ancich was coaching St Paul and Amat had the combo of Pat Haden throwing to JK McKay. I was in grade school then and just getting into football. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pops said:

Hmmm

i think this team is 

> '16

< '10-'15 (especially '15)

> '04-'09

< '98-'03

their starting rankings (#14 CP; #21 hsfba) are in line with that placement

I'm not sure if you're following this team closely or not, but this group of kids is going to be in line with the '10-'15 teams(think next year). I have no doubt about that. The main difference between this group and '15 group is the QB position. Sweeney was the difference maker. This new kid is untested but promising. This team already has 4 D1 bound players that (I predict) will grow to about 8 by next season. And most of them will be back again next season.  The OL/DL/LBs are all going to be nasty. The defense returns 8 starters (5 were sophs), The offense will be pretty much unstoppable. Remember that they put up 33 on SJB last season, and both sides of the ball will be dramatically better.

#14-21 might be a little high, but I think we'll soon see that they belong. But unfortunately that'll be about it from NorCal nationally. My 'Jackets (who now have DLS's Boyette) will win about 5 games.  SMH.

1 minute ago, Blueliner said:

I'm not sure if you're following this team closely or not, but this group of kids is going to be in line with the '10-'15 teams(think next year). I have no doubt about that. The main difference between this group and '15 group is the QB position. Sweeney was the difference maker. This new kid is untested but promising. This team already has 4 D1 bound players that (I predict) will grow to about 8 by next season. And most of them will be back again next season.  The OL/DL/LBs are all going to be nasty. The defense returns 8 starters (5 were sophs), The offense will be pretty much unstoppable. Remember that they put up 33 on SJB last season, and both sides of the ball will be dramatically better.

#14-21 might be a little high, but I think we'll soon see that they belong. But unfortunately that'll be about it from NorCal nationally. My 'Jackets (who now have DLS's Boyette) will win about 5 games.  SMH.

I'm not nearly as close to knowing team as I used to (moved from NorCal a couple of months ago), but you said you think this team will be on par with '15 which IMHO was best DLS team since '03 despite loss to Trinity

remember that '15 team returned almost everyone just like this team -- difference is they won an an MNC at CP as juniors vs these guys losing to east and really playing well I thought to keep SJB within 3 TDs

this team will be old school along the LOS with a lot of 200# kids where the '15 team was the last of a run of massive DLS teams

and then there's Sweeney -- no one will run veer as well as him but it's POSSIBLE that this team could be more credible with their 2nd dimension.  DLS doesn't need that dimension locally but will v BG, SJC and in SBG

i think the only position group where this team > '15 is possibly LBs and that this team's front 7 will be elite, but still lag on the DL vs boss, Asiasi, Wiley, and sophomore Tui

i could be wrong -- I hope I am, but I see this team losing to BG and SBG and eking out a w vs sjc, thus their starting point smells right.  They could lose all 3 easily; conversely they have potential to win all 3

if they do win all 3 of the big games, they'll be in discussion at end, but I'd be a bit surprised if they do so

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pops said:

I'm not nearly as close to knowing team as I used to (moved from NorCal a couple of months ago), but you said you think this team will be on par with '15 which IMHO was best DLS team since '03 despite loss to Trinity

remember that '15 team returned almost everyone just like this team -- difference is they won an an MNC at CP as juniors vs these guys losing to east and really playing well I thought to keep SJB within 3 TDs

this team will be old school along the LOS with a lot of 200# kids where the '15 team was the last of a run of massive DLS teams

and then there's Sweeney -- no one will run veer as well as him but it's POSSIBLE that this team could be more credible with their 2nd dimension.  DLS doesn't need that dimension locally but will v BG, SJC and in SBG

i think the only position group where this team > '15 is possibly LBs and that this team's front 7 will be elite, but still lag on the DL vs boss, Asiasi, Wiley, and sophomore Tui

i could be wrong -- I hope I am, but I see this team losing to BG and SBG and eking out a w vs sjc, thus their starting point smells right.  They could lose all 3 easily; conversely they have potential to win all 3

if they do win all 3 of the big games, they'll be in discussion at end, but I'd be a bit surprised if they do so

Good post, Pops.  Good point about the '14 team winning state the year before '15.  I believe that '14 had a few more seniors to help get them there. '16 DLS had basically one senior (with Nonies getting hurt), Tre White, who was pretty much injured all season to lead the way. 

I think that we're going to see that this DLS OL won't be the small #200 kids.  If Tulilegansenoa and Tagaloa go both ways for the most part, the OL could routinely be roughly 300, 290, 200(li'l Ogburn at center), 260, 280 with Foskey at about 240 at the TE.  With Robinson, Garrett, King, and To'oto'o running ball, they're going to be fun to watch. If (big If)Jones can keep a defense a little honest passing, watch out.  But I don't think that they make this schedule if they don't have the horses.  Even with all of this, I think that the Bishop, this year, will have a little too much and they're playing at home.

Guest LOSer

sammy just makes things up.

I mean there isn't a single publication, poll or person who has Central as #1 in Florida.

But he just says it because he's a liar.

2 hours ago, BobbySanchez said:

Bishop Gorman has three players in the ESPN 300. A good chunk of returners from both sides of the ball that played on the National Championship team all started are coming back. They're not gonna miss a beat. 

Yes they will, only someone disconnected with reality would believe losing 9 3 year starters won't do anything to a team

• Like 2