Random $%#&

OldTerrapin

On 4/11/2024 at 1:08 PM, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

@Fred Got to go around Dacula,Sugar Hill,Buford and Duluth yesterday... 

Now Duluth I'm familiar with because of my friend up there... it's practically a second home...

Dacula is a Nice little area where you can see the growth in motion... in about 2-3 years it will be almost unrecognizable  from what it is now... 

Sugar Hill is a little more on the expensive side... 

I like Buford though... 

ATM though I think it's between Dacula-Saint Augustine,FL and Saint Marys,GA... 

Costwise Dacula is CURRENTLY cheaper than both...

That won't be the case for much longer though

Came across this article about the cost of living going up in Florida.  While it focuses on older people, the cost of living is an issue no matter your age.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article287583670.html

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fred said:

Came across this article about the cost of living going up in Florida.  While it focuses on older people, the cost of living is an issue no matter your age.

Good article thanks for posting @Fred.  Reading stuff like that always scares me that I have not planned enough financially for the future even though I think I have planned enough 😂. You are right it doesn't matter your age, cost of living is a huge issue.

On 4/15/2024 at 2:11 AM, Cossacks said:

Good article thanks for posting @Fred.  Reading stuff like that always scares me that I have not planned enough financially for the future even though I think I have planned enough 😂. You are right it doesn't matter your age, cost of living is a huge issue.

How much is enough?  You don't really know.  I'm very glad that I went into retirement both with zero debt and with a couple of side hustles that require minimal to small effort (except for Nov and Dec) most of the time but provide a pretty decent amount of income.  Barring some catastrophic event, we are okay.  We continue to live in the manner we are used to but live below our means as we have the whole time and haven't had to touch our retirement funds.  Life is good and I am blessed beyond what I deserve.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 2:11 AM, Cossacks said:

If u didn’t plan out ur future, can you imagine me lmao , I better start manifesting winning the powerball

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, FreeBird said:

If u didn’t plan out ur future, can you imagine me lmao , I better start manifesting winning the powerball

Haha I bet there is a wad of Benjamins stashed under the pillow.

I have planned and I think I’m going to be fine, but always have that doubt. I better start hitting that Powerball. 😂

3 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Haha I bet there is a wad of Benjamins stashed under the pillow.

I have planned and I think I’m going to be fine, but always have that doubt. I better start hitting that Powerball. 😂

One never knows right?  One serious illness can wipe out everything and that happens when you are fully insured.  It happens to people all the time.  It doesn't get much more screwed up than having that happen to you when you work hard all your life and try and do things right.  Besides the Powerball, best of luck btw, I would consider a trust for the house and whatever.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FreeBird said:

I was very fortunate to work for a place that had a really good defined contribution retirement plan.  When I got in, I had to contribute 5% but they matched and doubled adding 10% for a total of 15%.  Then I stayed put and didn't bounce around.  I wish I had been more equity invested in the beginning but even the annuity portion worked out well.  The power of compound interest is real.  I can't imagine hustling like you do and trying to invest for the future.  All I can say to you is do the best you can and take it seriously.  I don't know that there will be much of a safety net by the time your time comes.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Fred said:

I was very fortunate to work for a place that had a really good defined contribution retirement plan.  When I got in, I had to contribute 5% but they matched and doubled adding 10% for a total of 15%.  Then I stayed put and didn't bounce around.  I wish I had been more equity invested in the beginning but even the annuity portion worked out well.  The power of compound interest is real.  I can't imagine hustling like you do and trying to invest for the future.  All I can say to you is do the best you can and take it seriously.  I don't know that there will be much of a safety net by the time your time comes.

Yes when I started out I had 2 different older guys tell me to start maxing out and dumping into my deferred comp (457b) plan. Best advice I ever took.

On 4/14/2024 at 11:17 PM, Fred said:

Everything's going up it feels like and it just keeps getting harder and harder... 

My generation and younger want homes but we're getting priced out of the market... 

I'm trying to find stuff within my means but it's ridiculous  out here... 

• Like 1