Random $%#&

OldTerrapin

21 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Harold talking about the throw was awesome too. 

That play is right up there with Jeter backing up first base to throw out Giambi.  Most improbable plays.  

Great play indeed! But not close to Jeter…playoffs, late in game…tying or go ahead run.

now I’ll say the Bo play was on par with Jeters face plant into seats to catch the foul ball…..while Nomar took the day off with the sniffles 🤣

• Like 2

Years ago, a journalist major had the honor of interviewing Neil Armstrong for his college newspaper.

The aspiring writer asked him specifically about his words on setting foot on the moon. How did you come up with "One small step for man; one giant leap for mankind?"

Armstrong looked him dead in the eye and stated  "I never said that."

"Mr. Armstrong,"  he replied, "I've heard the recording a thousand times. I've read about it in history books. Every school child knows you said 'One small step for man; one giant leap for mankind.'"

Armstrong said, "What I said was 'one small step for man; one giant leap for Manny Klein."

Armstrong explained, "When I was a kid growing up in Ohio, the walls in our apartment house were very thin. You could hear everything.  And every night I would hear our neighbor, Manny Klein, begging his wife to allow him to do something sexually kinky in the bedroom and every night Mrs Klein would turn him down.   

"Finally," Armstrong continued, "Mrs. Klein relented and said yes, but only yes, when a man walks on the moon!”  

• Haha 3

Boeing ended the day session near the day’s low and their 52 week history is not pretty.  

I don’t know when the board is choosing a new CEO, but good luck to that individual in 2025. 

DJIA and S&P500 were down .03 and .04 pct today and United and SW were both green today, as reference.  

IMG_9340.png

On 4/7/2024 at 2:37 PM, golfaddict1 said:

Be better Boeing!  😮 #QC

https://x.com/rawsalerts/status/1777017207366520949?s=46&t=Ub_4ZB--blmAW22AUOdwqQ

Enough of this shit.  

@Fred the beat goes on?  😒 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/09/business/boeing-787-whistleblower/index.html

John Barnett died of a “self inflicted” gunshot.   Be very careful around guns, Sam and watch your back.  

IMG_9353.jpeg

On 4/7/2024 at 5:54 PM, golfaddict1 said:

Service-wise, FAA will review that angle.  

These are licensed and specialized workers, so heads will roll from Boeing golden parachute positions to mechanics handling the servicing.  It’s a bad look.  

Door hatches not being properly installed/maintained should be an important detail.  A recent check found loose parts, I recall hearing. 

I’m not upset flying Airbus across the pond in a few months.  

Let me ask you something.  You have a 7 year old car.  You've had the hood open numerous times.  One time, you are driving down the expressway at 70 mph and the hood blows off.  It turns out that the last time you checked the oil when you gassed up, you didn't close the hood properly.  Is the hood blowing open the manufacturer's fault or yours as the owner?  If it turns out there is a manufacturing defect, then fine, that's on Boeing.  But panels that have been opened and closed multiple times since the plane as been delivered are on the maintenance by the airline.  The wheels falling off are on the airlines.  Engine issues get blamed on Boeing who has zero to do with the engines.  The plane that lost a panel was 16ish years old and had gone through at least one heavy maintenance cycle if not more.  They go over those planes with a fine toothed comb and then some during those checks.  I've been in Tech Ops at Delta and had it explained to me everything that goes on during those checks.  If there was a loose panel as a result of a manufacturing defect, it should have been caught long before the panel blew off.  The United plane that ran off the runway turned out to having had a brake job done incorrectly.

Don't get me wrong, if it is a Boeing issue, then it is on them.  The missing bolts in the plug door is a Boeing issue no matter if they were left out at Spirit or at Boeing.  They own the plane and any issues before delivery as well as manufacturing or design issues discovered after delivery.  I can agree with their focus changed after the MD take-over/merger/buy out.  They became more stock market and return driven but then what company hasn't?  I was in the business world for over 42 years before I retired and I saw the change to management by MBAs focused on 30/60/90 day numbers driven decisions.  I hated it.  I was and remain convinced that short term pain generally provided long term gain and short term gain provided long term pain.  A lot of storied companies in my field went away because of that mindset.  These were multi-billion dollar companies that were over a 100 years old.  Some of that was technology change related but much of it was a change of focus from taking the long term view to what can you do for me today.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fred said:

Let me ask you something.  You have a 7 year old car.  You've had the hood open numerous times.  One time, you are driving down the expressway at 70 mph and the hood blows off.  It turns out that the last time you checked the oil when you gassed up, you didn't close the hood properly.  Is the hood blowing open the manufacturer's fault or yours as the owner?  If it turns out there is a manufacturing defect, then fine, that's on Boeing.  But panels that have been opened and closed multiple times since the plane as been delivered are on the maintenance by the airline.  The wheels falling off are on the airlines.  Engine issues get blamed on Boeing who has zero to do with the engines.  The plane that lost a panel was 16ish years old and had gone through at least one heavy maintenance cycle if not more.  They go over those planes with a fine toothed comb and then some during those checks.  I've been in Tech Ops at Delta and had it explained to me everything that goes on during those checks.  If there was a loose panel as a result of a manufacturing defect, it should have been caught long before the panel blew off.  The United plane that ran off the runway turned out to having had a brake job done incorrectly.

Don't get me wrong, if it is a Boeing issue, then it is on them.  The missing bolts in the plug door is a Boeing issue no matter if they were left out at Spirit or at Boeing.  They own the plane and any issues before delivery as well as manufacturing or design issues discovered after delivery.  I can agree with their focus changed after the MD take-over/merger/buy out.  They became more stock market and return driven but then what company hasn't?  I was in the business world for over 42 years before I retired and I saw the change to management by MBAs focused on 30/60/90 day numbers driven decisions.  I hated it.  I was and remain convinced that short term pain generally provided long term gain and short term gain provided long term pain.  A lot of storied companies in my field went away because of that mindset.  These were multi-billion dollar companies that were over a 100 years old.  Some of that was technology change related but much of it was a change of focus from taking the long term view to what can you do for me today.

I hear ya and thx for the reply.  

Admittedly, I was a bit fired up and venting.  My good friend was also and it added to my ire. (Owner of machine shop contracting w Honeywell for making Boeing parts). 

Your car example reminded me of my Mitsubishi Eclipse turbo experience.  

Numerous transmission slipping issues weren’t solved and during a trip from NJ to Illinois, once again the transmission slipped into NEUTRAL on the highway with an 18 wheeler behind us.  Ah, fun memories.  

My last call with the dealer was prior to that drive.  I contacted their consumer relations dept directly in CA and replied, enough

Days later the dealer contacted me informing that a new transmission would be installed.

Whomever gets chosen for Boeing CEO later this year, good luck.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

Mychal Thompson? 😂

Way back in time, some guy named Bob McAdoo was a scoring machine for the Buffalo Braves and he looked cool in the high white socks to this little kid.  :) 

He became a Knickerbocker and I was ecstatic.   

He got to pickup championship hardware with the Showtime Lakers and I was happy for him.   

He was an asst coach for some time with the Heat, but I lost track of him since.  

All time great.

#scoringmachine

• Like 1

@Fred Got to go around Dacula,Sugar Hill,Buford and Duluth yesterday... 

Now Duluth I'm familiar with because of my friend up there... it's practically a second home...

Dacula is a Nice little area where you can see the growth in motion... in about 2-3 years it will be almost unrecognizable  from what it is now... 

Sugar Hill is a little more on the expensive side... 

I like Buford though... 

ATM though I think it's between Dacula-Saint Augustine,FL and Saint Marys,GA... 

Costwise Dacula is CURRENTLY cheaper than both...

That won't be the case for much longer though

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

@Fred Got to go around Dacula,Sugar Hill,Buford and Duluth yesterday... 

Now Duluth I'm familiar with because of my friend up there... it's practically a second home...

Dacula is a Nice little area where you can see the growth in motion... in about 2-3 years it will be almost unrecognizable  from what it is now... 

Sugar Hill is a little more on the expensive side... 

I like Buford though... 

ATM though I think it's between Dacula-Saint Augustine,FL and Saint Marys,GA... 

Costwise Dacula is CURRENTLY cheaper than both...

That won't be the case for much longer though

Sugar Hill is sprinting from small country town to really nice neighborhood and all of the changes that incurs.