Nick Saban is retiring per ESPN.

HooverOutlaw

Just now, pied said:

I think comparing across different types of leagues isn't particularly compelling.  He competed against teams with the same rules.  

As did SFA. 

It's not compelling because your argument becomes invalid. 

One was kicked out for just being to good for their region. 

Very few teams had the same resources like SFA

Just now, pied said:

Interesting that you don't appear to give him any credit for putting his teams in that position.

Getting great talent is one part, coaching them to be great is another animal altogether.  

Saban was smart enough to know you don't bring a donkey to the Kentucky Derby.

1 minute ago, pied said:

Interesting that you don't appear to give him any credit for putting his teams in that position.

Getting great talent is one part, coaching them to be great is another animal altogether.  

I'll say he's a great recruiter,  but we got to watch him at MSU too.  Good coach

Just now, pied said:

I echo this. Per 247 sports USC had the 2nd most talented roster in all of college football when Clay Helton took over. Let’s just say what he did with all that talent was not Saban-esque. Lol 

• Like 1

Just now, HurricaneNick said:

I echo this. Per 247 sports USC had the 2nd most talented roster in all of college football when Clay Helton took over. Let’s just say what he did with all that talent was not Saban-esque. Lol 

I disagree.  His line talent was never top tier. His teams were Oregon/ Washington this year along the LOS

1 minute ago, steeler01 said:

As did SFA. 

It's not compelling because your argument becomes invalid. 

One was kicked out for just being to good for their region. 

Very few teams had the same resources like SFA

That's a very interesting way to look at it.  

Who thought I'd be in a conversation comparing program development, coaching and national titles between Nick Saban and a high school coach in Maryland who got his team removed from the league.

I think you might win the internet today.

10 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Taylor Lewan did Michigan no favors with this clip. I’d bet Koolaid probably had better than a 1.6 and a 35% in Spanish. Just a guess though.

https://x.com/FromEastLansing/status/1630234290251513856?s=20

Maybe, but Lewan outscored Ruggs on the Wonderlic, we’ll see what Kool-aid scores. But if I were a betting man…

Jerry Judy scored a 9. But maybe they worked really hard in the classroom 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, steeler01 said:

Why didn't he win a NC at Michigan State?

Because MSU doesn't have the same level of access to top talent as LSU, which led him to leave MSU for LSU after only being there from 1995-1999. He then won a title at LSU and the rest is history. With all of the management that is required in the modern game, he is the GOAT. You likely will find equal or greater "ball coaches", but they couldn't handle some of the other aspects of being a major college football coach like Saban. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

There are probably a lot of reasons.  They hadn't had a winning record for the previous five years before he got there and were on probation.  Michigan State hasn't an easy place to develop a winner.  It was relatively early in his career.

I'll give Harbaugh all the props for winning title at Michigan and not going to hold his not winning one at San Diego State or Stanford against him.

3 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Young coach. Michigan State does not have the resources like LSU and Alabama have. Again that is a program failure as much as a Saban problem. You don't seem to understand these schools have buy in 100% and provide total control Alabama is one of the few schools to provide that. It takes the combo of a great coach and a school totally 100% behind these great coaches. 6 titles at school a has been done twice both at Alabama . Why is that?

33 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

The teams he built,  weren't built with top 3 recruiting classes at powerhouse programs. 

It would be unfair to give him the Alabama 2015-2018 rosters

His niners roster was sick with talent,  all pro's all over the roster. Never got it done 

13 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Those titles right after the civil war when 6 teams played are meaningless. Alabama had 12 before Saban. For the last 100 years Alabama is the king. 

No.  You don't get to make a statement that Alabama is the best ever and then cherry pick the years.  All count or none count.

Just now, pied said:

There are probably a lot of reasons.  They hadn't had a winning record for the previous five years before he got there and were on probation.  Michigan State hasn't an easy place to develop a winner.  It was relatively early in his career.

He was never going to win one there,  nobody will. The greatest coach could coach there, but since the metric is just winning titles for some, they'll think that coach isn't the best. 

Just now, pied said:

I'll give Harbaugh all the props for winning title at Michigan and not going to hold his not winning one at San Diego State or Stanford against him.

I'd take Harbaugh every day over Saban with equal talent on the field

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

He was never going to win one there,  nobody will. The greatest coach could coach there, but since the metric is just winning titles for some, they'll think that coach isn't the best. 

I'd take Harbaugh every day over Saban with equal talent on the field

One thing Harbaugh cheated like hell to get that title.

3 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Again another example of a failure by a school. Osborne won 3 titles without local elite talent and still recruited them to come to Nebraska. 

So Nicky was a failure at Michigan State and got out of Dodge as quickly as possible is what you're saying.