Nick Saban is retiring per ESPN.

HooverOutlaw

17 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Name one 5 star Michigan turned away? If you are a 5 star you will get in period at any school.

I can’t because I don’t know enough about Michigan, just guessing. But saying a 5-star will be taken by anyone is absolutely untrue. And it’s why Brian Kelly is at LSU.

• Thanks 1

Just now, GoBigBlack said:

I can’t because I don’t know enough about Michigan, just guessing. But saying a 5-star will be taken by anyone is absolutely untrue. And it’s why Brian Kelly is at LSU.

Again name what 5 stars was turned away by Notre Dame. LSU is a better program than Notre Dame this century. Notre Dame has 1 title from 78-23. For example Alabama has 9 same era.

Just now, pied said:

I'll give you Michigan State, but Michigan hcan be a very attractive place as well.

History proves Michigan the last 70 years is not an great program. Michigan has a very stained history the last 70 years. Schembechler covering up sexual assault and Harbaugh cheating like hell.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

His niners roster was sick with talent,  all pro's all over the roster. Never got it done 

Yet they hadn’t had a winning season for eight years when he took over? I’m not an NFL guy but typically head coaching jobs for college coaches don’t pop up at Super Bowl contenders stacked with talent.

6 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Again name what 5 stars was turned away by Notre Dame. LSU is a better program than Notre Dame this century. Notre Dame has 1 title from 78-23. For example Alabama has 9 same era.

Turned away or never bothered recruiting because they couldn’t cut it academically? Same thing, to me, and it’s a long list that’s not limited to five-star talent. There are dumb, lazy kids all over the star spectrum.

18 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

Turned away or never bothered recruiting because they couldn’t cut it academically? Same thing, to me, and it’s a long list that’s not limited to five-star talent. There are dumb, lazy kids all over the star spectrum.

Good excuse with no facts. 

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

Exactly..... but that means they're all not playing on equal footing.

In the history of college football, there has never been a single season where the programs were playing on equal footing. So, it's meaningless when comparing any college coach to another. 

Saban inherited a 3-8 team at LSU, and got them to 8-4 right away. He inherited a 6-7 Alabama team without a single win of note preceding him taking over in 2007, before embarking on the greatest run (by a gaping margin) in the history of college football. 

At the time that Saban took over at both LSU and Alabama, those programs were actually not particularly distinguished in the area of resources ($, facilities etc) compared to arch rivals in their area. Alabama didn't have any real advantage in resources compared to Tennessee or Florida or Michigan or Ohio State in those days. The awesome success they enjoyed under Saban helped propel them to advantages over those schools now (though I'm not sure they really have an edge over a couple of programs even today).

Coaches who may have done an excellent job with far fewer resources would never have had the opportunity to maintain a multi-national title program. So, we couldn't even say how they'd fare under such circumstances.

He's the greatest coach of all-time, and it's not close. And I'm an alum of the University of Florida. I've spent plenty of time screaming at television screens hoping they lost!

1 hour ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Good excuse with no facts. 

Assessing state of Notre Dame football recruiting and the persistent question of academics

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/notre-dame/2021/02/06/notre-dame-football-recruiting-admissions-limit-pool-prospects-brian-kelly-brian-polin/4423221001/

“Feb. 3 it started and continued with Mike Elston, the only Irish assistant coach who has been with head coach Brian Kelly since his first season at ND, in 2010.

Notre Dame’s associate head coach/defensive line coach was pressed to provide the latest raw number in the recruiting calculus that has defined the on-field expectations of the Irish program, fairly or not, for decades.

How many of the nation’s top 100 players, in a given recruiting cycle, can Notre Dame reasonably pursue, who can get into school at ND and who would be considered fits at Notre Dame?

“It varies per recruiting cycle,” Elston said during a sort of pop-up recruiting symposium involving four key Irish assistant coaches and essentially emceed by Kelly, the only one who didn’t take questions from the media.

I would say less than half are guys that we can target and go after for one reason or another.”

Less than half.

If you ask CBS Sports recruiting analyst Tom Lemming, who’s been evaluating players and classes since before both Irish offensive coordinator Tommy Rees (28) and defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman (35) were born, his response would be in the 60-70 range.

If you ask former Notre Dame assistant Mike Denbrock — currently the offensive coordinator at Cincinnati and one of the top recruiting assistants, past or present, in the Kelly Era at ND — his answer would be closer to 25-30.“

In some years the list of 5-star athletes that Notre Dame can even target is hovering around 8 kids in an entire class. Stanford isn’t gonna be any different. 

Nick Saban loved players from Louisiana. He's on record as saying he's never seen a State with as much talent that was ready to play. 

I doubt very seriously the next head coach at Alabama will have as much luck as Saban did recruiting in Louisiana. There's no reason for Louisiana kids to go to Alabama now.

Anyways, Cya Nick Saban.

Life rolls on for everyone!

3 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

Assessing state of Notre Dame football recruiting and the persistent question of academics

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/notre-dame/2021/02/06/notre-dame-football-recruiting-admissions-limit-pool-prospects-brian-kelly-brian-polin/4423221001/

“Feb. 3 it started and continued with Mike Elston, the only Irish assistant coach who has been with head coach Brian Kelly since his first season at ND, in 2010.

Notre Dame’s associate head coach/defensive line coach was pressed to provide the latest raw number in the recruiting calculus that has defined the on-field expectations of the Irish program, fairly or not, for decades.

How many of the nation’s top 100 players, in a given recruiting cycle, can Notre Dame reasonably pursue, who can get into school at ND and who would be considered fits at Notre Dame?

“It varies per recruiting cycle,” Elston said during a sort of pop-up recruiting symposium involving four key Irish assistant coaches and essentially emceed by Kelly, the only one who didn’t take questions from the media.

I would say less than half are guys that we can target and go after for one reason or another.”

Less than half.

If you ask CBS Sports recruiting analyst Tom Lemming, who’s been evaluating players and classes since before both Irish offensive coordinator Tommy Rees (28) and defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman (35) were born, his response would be in the 60-70 range.

If you ask former Notre Dame assistant Mike Denbrock — currently the offensive coordinator at Cincinnati and one of the top recruiting assistants, past or present, in the Kelly Era at ND — his answer would be closer to 25-30.“

In some years the list of 5-star athletes that Notre Dame can even target is hovering around 8 kids in an entire class. Stanford isn’t gonna be any different. 

ND has like a 17% acceptance rate...

I imagine this makes handing out athletic scholarships a little more difficult...