Nick Saban is retiring per ESPN.

HooverOutlaw

4 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Question is why did Harbaugh not recruit better like Alabama Georgia or Ohio State. 

At the end of the day these are academic institutions with standards. There are lots of reasons Stanford didn’t land Kool-Aid McKinstry or Henry Ruggs. The biggest being they couldn’t get into the school  period. I don’t know what sort of standards Michigan has for 5-star athletes, but it’s an elite university.

1 minute ago, GoBigBlack said:

At the end of the day these are academic institutions with standards. There are lots of reasons Stanford didn’t land Kool-Aid McKinstry or Henry Ruggs. The biggest being they couldn’t get into the school  period. I don’t know what sort of standards Michigan has for 5-star athletes, but it’s an elite university.

Name one 5 star Michigan turned away? If you are a 5 star you will get in period at any school.

1 minute ago, GoBigBlack said:

Taylor Lewan did Michigan no favors with this clip. I’d bet Koolaid probably had better than a 1.6 and a 35% in Spanish. Just a guess though.

https://x.com/FromEastLansing/status/1630234290251513856?s=20

5 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

When i think of a great coach,  I think of someone whose actually going to have to coach a game and not just bully the other team with a better roster. 

I'd suggest he did both very well.   

1 hour ago, HurricaneNick said:

Texas A&M too. But some care about recruiting championships and some care about real championships. Everyone can look up Michigans last 5 recruiting classes. How many 5 stars are on that roster.

I recall seeing that both Michigan and Washington had few, maybe zero, 5-star players. Coaching matters! DeBoer is a great coach and if I’m the Bama AD he would be on my candidate list. Watching Michigan is a coaching clinic also. The OC Sherrone Moore will be a hot commodity and on the list for any big openings. And Jesse Minter is a defensive savant. Harbaugh rightfully gets all the credit, but he had 2 of the best coordinators in the business.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HurricaneNick said:

He did it better and longer than anybody else. What was stopping other schools and coaches from dethroning him? He was the CEO. Always had a great staff, faced constant changes in the sport and staff turnover like no other. He figured it out. 

From 1958-2023 that is 66 seasons. 42 of those Alabama had the best Coach in the country. No school touches this .

1 minute ago, steeler01 said:

Exactly,  and everyone hates on those coaches. 

Biff Poggi by your standards is a top 3 coach in America when he was at SFA

I think comparing across different types of leagues isn't particularly compelling.  He competed against teams with the same rules.  

1 minute ago, Bodysurf said:

I recall seeing that both Michigan and Washington had few, maybe zero, 5-star players. Coaching matters! DeBoer is a great coach and if I’m the Bama AD he would be on my candidate list. Watching Michigan is a coaching clinic also. The OC Sherrone Moore will be a hot commodity and on the list for any big openings. And Jesse Minter is a defensive savant. Harbaugh rightfully gets all the credit, but he had 2 of the best coordinators in the business.

College football with Harbaugh getting a roster filled with 5 Stars would be unfair. 

Harbaugh at Ohio State.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

Completely agree. Minter had them operating on another level. I hope Alabama takes Deboer or Lanning far away from the west coast! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fred said:

If your premise is Alabama was the best pre-Saban You would be wrong.  Pre-Saban, Alabama would check in at 5th or 6th.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39266327/who-won-most-college-football-championships

Those titles right after the civil war when 6 teams played are meaningless. Alabama had 12 before Saban. For the last 100 years Alabama is the king. 

1 minute ago, steeler01 said:

He didn't have many 50/50 games in college.  How often was Alabama the underdog?

Interesting that you don't appear to give him any credit for putting his teams in that position.

Getting great talent is one part, coaching them to be great is another animal altogether.  

• Like 1